YAVP: MiSu^TSO

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 18th February 2020, 17:03

YAVP: MiSu^TSO

https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/pete ... 223659.txt

My first game in a sudden death game where I managed to get one of the one-time challenges: I won the game without entering Lair 8-)

I don't really understand why they put a MiSu^TSO in the tournament like this, because it was much easier to get a lairless win than it usually is. (Last tournament I tried to do the same with an Ogre Wizard^Hep, and went splat in Elf.)
I didn't even try to play as a summoner, which was the obvious best choice, but also felt a bit weird. The last tournament game too gave us a background we couldn't reasonably play.

Beyond that...
I decided to use polearms when I found a +1 spear of venom, and never regretted the decision. In Elf reaching was even stronger than cleaving, and whilst doing hell fiends often spawned 2 tiles away from me.
After having to fear ranged enemies in a recent game, it was delicious to once again watch jaktaurs kill themselves due to reflection.
I found +9 plate armour "Niel" {rF+ Str+4 Int+5} at XL 12, and kept wearing it for the rest of the game. I trained a bunch of stealth in anticipation of switching to +10 Pearl dragon scales, and then decided against it at the last second. In general I think I made my endgame (after getting the 1st rune from Gehenna) much more complicated than it had to be by training a lot of stealth & magic. I got a lot of good +Int items, and ended up casting Mana Vipers a Shadow Creatures in Zot. The summoner in my wasn't quite dead after all.
I did a second Hell because I thought it'd be more fun than the abyss. Dis was harder than Gehenna because there were more non-evil creatures. When I went in I set tab to throw boomerangs when enemies aren't in range. By the time I finished Zot I'd run through half my boomerang stock-pile.

This game further increased my respect for melee dudes.

vt

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 18th February 2020, 20:01

Re: YAVP: MiSu^TSO

The last tournament game too gave us a background we couldn't reasonably play.

A substantial number of people who won trained transmutations or unarmed:

!lg csdc tetm won / ((fifsk~~transm||fifsk~~unarm||sk~~transm||sk~~unarm))

Cerebot: 9/17 games for csdc (tetm won): N=9/17 (52.94%)

I didn't look through the morgues, and there may be some false positives (eg, getting statue form or lich form for extended/zigs only). On the other hand my query may also miss people who went quite far as a tm before transitioning.

Congrats on the win.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 18th February 2020, 20:21

I also went unarmed for tmut. I died, but not because I chose that. Damage output was actually really good. I died because I didn't have the patience to maintain good habits with positioning and got a death knight + 2 freezing wraith combo (one I hadn't seen previously) just after lair. After getting slowed I didn't get a chance to escape. But there was absolutely no reason a .9 aut species had to let any of those things be near the others when fighting them. Fell asleep at the wheel I guess.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 20th February 2020, 12:47

I looked at the morgues, and you're right almost half of the top winners were in Dragon Form. Apparently Dragons can 'fly quickly and evasively', so there's some synergy there I didn't know about.

vt

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 20th February 2020, 16:09

Flying quickly and evasively is a tengu thing that persists into forms, including dragon form, not a dragon form thing. I don't really see any special tengu-dragon form synergy.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too