YAVP: GnFi^Gozag, former Tycoon

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 24th January 2020, 13:53

YAVP: GnFi^Gozag, former Tycoon

https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/pete ... 132100.txt

I rolled up a Gnoll Fighter of Gozag. In short, it is a very powerful combo. I now understand why some people like melee so much.
This is probably one of my first 3 rune games. On most other characters I've played, I felt uncomfortable doing Zot before Slime&Vaults. The gnoll felt strong enough to skip Slime and Elf.
At XL:12 I bought a vampiric broadaxe and the Shield of the Gong, the pair of which carried me through the game. I'm not sure how much luck was involved, but I think gnolls have a good chance of seeing good items in shops. Later I also bought the Scales of the Dragon King, which I used until the very end.

Doing the Desolation with the Shield of Gong was fun ... or at least exiting :lol:
I had to blow a potion petition or two there, but I think it was worth the experience.

As I was getting my 3rd rune in V:5 I was able to cast any level<5 spell I wanted. But with the axe being so strong... I didn't see the need. The same goes for evocables and potions. I was pretty much omniresistant and I had 44 AC and 40 SH. The vampiric axe kept my HP topped up, and It rarely dipped below 80% in all of V:5. Reflection meant ranged enemies were more likely to kill themselves then me.
The message spam was annoying though. I didn't read much of it, but as long as I was fighting big groups of enemies I had to press spacebar pretty much every turn.

Bribe branch made Zot pretty much a freebie. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I spend a lot of gold (18000 in total) and it was all used up halfway through the end vault. Luckily my allies were strong enough to deal with the rest, and all OoF had already been bribed 8-)
I could have cleared Zot without the help, but it was nice being able to finally finish the game (which had been going for months) with little hassle.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 24th January 2020, 16:26

Re: YAVP: GnFi^Gozag, former Tycoon

congrats, I'd still like to do a Gozag game. I've never managed to really get very far with him. Same is true with Gnolls.

Perhaps once I finish my OpFi and my DEFE (Both XL27 and in extended, DEFE has only Tomb left to clear)

Whats the real benefit of Gozag then? buying sweet gear from many shops that carry you through easily?

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 24th January 2020, 16:35

Yes, I think mostly the sweet gear.

Enemies getting 'distracted by gold' is also a noticeable buff, and potion petition is a good panic button provided you recognise trouble whilst you still have most of your hp.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 24th January 2020, 16:55

Indeed, Gozag's passive is one of the most powerful part of his kit.

Gozag fits well with Gnolls because every single good randart/fixedart you find can be bought and used. I often end using Zephyr with Gn^Gozag !
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too