YAVP: 10th win!

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 13th December 2019, 14:47

YAVP: 10th win!

Just won with a Demonspawn Abyssal Knight:
https://crawl.project357.org/morgue/MrD ... 141954.txt

This is my 10th win. I feel like that's some kind of milestone that marks my graduation from a state of noobery to just general incompetence.
Most of my wins have been melee brutes. That doesn't necessarily reflect the mix of characters I play. I just haven't managed to win with anything else very often.
There were a couple of blaster casters (GrEE and DrFE) in the mix though.

This latest game is by far the furthest I've got with a Demonspawn. The demonic mutations were quite fun and quite helpful. It was pretty smooth sailing, except I made a really stupid mistake with my endgame weapon just before starting Zot. I had an antimagic eveningstar and I read what I thought was a scroll of enchant weapon, but turned out to be a scroll of brand weapon, which rebranded my eveningstar to holy wrath and promptly blasted me. I tried to fix it and got venom on the first try, then freezing. I decided to stop there since I only had one more branding scroll and it could've given me something worse, plus freezing is pretty good against cold-blooded draconians.

Lugonu's Corruption ability came in really useful on Zot:5 because there was a zot trap blocking a corridor that I had to go through. Corruption gave me a way to go round it.

For this message the author MrDizzy has received thanks:
Sorcerous

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 13th December 2019, 21:17

Re: YAVP: 10th win!

This is my 10th win. I feel like that's some kind of milestone that marks my graduation from a state of noobery to just general competence.

It is a significant milestone, and congratulations on reaching it so quickly! :)

I had an antimagic eveningstar and I read what I thought was a scroll of enchant weapon, but turned out to be a scroll of brand weapon, which rebranded my eveningstar to holy wrath and promptly blasted me.

Wait, what? I was not aware that branding scrolls still have {holy} as a possibility.
There is always something new to learn.

For this message the author Sorcerous has received thanks:
Airwolf

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 14th December 2019, 03:56

Sorcerous wrote:It is a significant milestone, and congratulations on reaching it so quickly! :)

Thanks, but I'm not sure it was really quick. It's been 2 years since I started playing this game. Is that quick? Is doesn't feel quick.
Then again, I've been playing Nethack since the early 90s and never ascended, so I guess it is quick in comparison to that. :lol:

Sorcerous wrote:Wait, what? I was not aware that branding scrolls still have {holy} as a possibility.

Now you're making me doubt myself. It was pretty late at night and my concentration was waning (which is why I read the wrong scroll). Whatever it was, it took a big chunk of HP off me. Would any other brand do that?

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 14th December 2019, 10:04

In regards to quickness, some people have played DCSS for more than a decade and never won. I think one (relatively) recent post of "first win" was by @Klown who has been around tavern for much longer than both of us.

MrDizzy wrote:It was pretty late at night and my concentration was waning (which is why I read the wrong scroll). Whatever it was, it took a big chunk of HP off me. Would any other brand do that?

Figured it out, it was likely that you read a scroll of holy word - it causes severe damage to undead and demonspawn PCs.
There is always something new to learn.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 14th December 2019, 12:53

Lol at the attempted suicide. Glad you managed to win through it!

How do I tell how many games I have won? I genuinely have no idea. I think I have a couple of 15 runes (I remember a DEFE and a GrFi back when gargoyles were stupid strong) and probably single digits of single rune wins, but I honestly can't remember. I'd like to know though!

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 15th December 2019, 04:32

delarado wrote:How do I tell how many games I have won? I genuinely have no idea. I think I have a couple of 15 runes (I remember a DEFE and a GrFi back when gargoyles were stupid strong) and probably single digits of single rune wins, but I honestly can't remember. I'd like to know though!

Any standard games* played online will be tracked by the scoreboard at akrasiac.org.
(*Excludes sprints, etc.)

This is me:
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/mrdizzy.html

This looks like you:
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/delarado.html

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too