YASD: bcrawl FoFi^Lugonu

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 29th August 2019, 08:26

YASD: bcrawl FoFi^Lugonu

This is a pseudo-win, in that I have 3 runes and have cleared Z:5.
This has been one of my first successful melee character in a long time, and also one of my first stealth-less runs.
Playing without stealth made me run into trouble a few times. Autoexplore was riskier than I was used to, because everyone notices me, and everyone runs towards me when I make noise. I had to emergency-banish-everything-between-me-and-the-exit a few times. I still autoexplored most floors.

In bcrawl Lugo gives items, which really adds to him imo. Without those items he'd just be a god who gives you a few emergency buttons, none of which you can really spam, and none of which can carry you. With the item-giving, Lugo felt almost as well-rounded as the other gods I'm used to.
The items Lugo gave were a bit weird, though maybe Oka could have given similar gifts? God gifts this game were:
  Code:
(carried) 2333 javelins of penetration
 (carried) 982 steel javelins
 (carried) the +0 cloak "Gonanimio" {MR+ Dex+4}
 a - [Zot:1] a +2 shield of reflection
 b - [Depths:5] 425 silver javelins (1198 further duplicates in 1 pile)
 c - [Depths:5] a +2 shield of resistance
 d - [Depths:3] the +2 pair of boots of the Assassin {Detection Stab+ Stlth++}
 e - [Vaults:2] +1 gold dragon scales
 f - [D:9] a +1 pair of gloves of strength
 g - [Vaults:2] the +0 pair of boots of Wisdom {Int+5}
 h - [D:9] the +1 chain mail "Fefrixt" {rElec rPois SInv Stlth-}
 i - [Spider:1] the -6 pair of gloves of Mental Paralysis {rC+}
 j - [Spider:2] a +0 pair of boots of stealth
 k - [Swamp:1] the +0 pair of gloves "Otetz" {Stlth+}
 l - [Elf:3] a +1 crystal plate armour
m - [Slime:1] the +3 shield of Misanthropy {MR+}

It's most odd that he kept giving me medium shields, when I had trained up to wield a large shield (15 skill and Formicide).
at 4* I got missiles, at 5* armour. It's possible I'd have received weapons at 6*, which I really wanted to test, but I couldn't stay at 6* for any length of time. This is my biggest frustration with Lugo this game actually, that I couldn't get to 6* piety.

Slime with Lugo was extremely smooth. Banish TRJ, corrupt, get loot. There were cheaper ways to kill TRJ (mostly paralysis + immolation), but using Lugo was pleasant.

I couldn't get the silver rune, which hurts my pride a little. I still daren't really go into Vault:3 (vaults is shortened in bcrawl). Last time I went in I was met with a large crowd. I got out using ?immolation to kill the vault wardens, without really risking death at any point, but it was clear I couldn't kill all enemies. If I had stealth I could shaft myself in, but as it is I'm afraid I'll get swarmed and killed. There are no natural choke-points in vault:3 :cry:

I'm really disappointed with great-maces. They have only one point of damage more than the Lajatang, less damage than top-tier axes and polearms, and few good brands this game. Last game (in bcrawl) I saw a lot of great maces of speed, which was part of my reason for going with maces. For most of this game I've been using one-handed maces (currently a +10 Eveningstar). I do have a holy great mace for if I want to do some extended/extra killing power during the orb run.

dump: https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/pete ... ordia2.txt
Last edited by petercordia on Thursday, 29th August 2019, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 29th August 2019, 16:59

Re: CIP: bcrawl FoFi^Lugonu

I ended up dying in Pan: https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/pete ... 164911.txt

Lugo just isn't very good in extended. I lost a lot of piety getting the Abyss rune. I could probably have survived Pan if I'd had more piety (or if I had switched to TSO/Zin). I lost the ability to port myself to the abyss on Lom Lobon's floor doing a (largely ineffective) corruption. Then Cerebov killed me in a 1-on-1. If I had corrupted early on in my fight with Cerebov, I might have survived. Quaffing !agility might also have helped. As a formicid, I don't get !haste :(

no real regrets.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 29th August 2019, 17:41

Re: YASD: bcrawl FoFi^Lugonu

Only a handful of gods are "very good" in extended. Zin, TSO, Kiku, Gozag, Ru & Makhleb to a lesser extent.

Among those that aren't, Lugonu is in the upper half just on the access to self-banish. The other abilities remain useful too.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too