YAVP: OpFi^Gozag | For once, food was a problem

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 2nd July 2019, 00:12

YAVP: OpFi^Gozag | For once, food was a problem

Morgue: https://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/q ... 233832.txt

Difficulty-wise, the game went very smoothly after finding a demon whip in Lair, except for the food problems. I had to get a food shop already before the first Lair branch, without using any spells. The second food shop was needed by Vaults:4. By this time I had casted Regen like 20 times and summoned like 20 lightning spires. And then it came the difficult part. I was ready to go to Zot and I had around 10k gold. I called a couple of merchants and they offered the Amulet of the Four Winds (rN+ MR+++ Clar), a +6 ring of slaying and a Ring {rC+ rN+ Int+2}. The three pieces cost like 3.8k. I had like 6 rations (which I assumed should be enough to go straight to Zot:5, bribe it and run away). So I decided to buy the amulet and the two rings, leaving like 1.5k gold. The plan was to earn 1.5k more gold on my way to Zot:5 in order to bribe it.

It turns out that farming 1.5k gold in Zot takes a little bit of time, and it turns out that by the time I was ready to bribe and do Zot:5 I had just 1 ration left. I bribed it anyway, only to find out that the effect of bribing wasn't that strong. You get some allies and some neutral monsters, but you still have to fight your way carefully. But I wasn't doing that, I was trying to go fast for the rune, using the bribed allies to clear for me. Well, at some point I figured my strategy wasn't viable and had to turn around. I almost die to a curse toe torment + death drake miasma, but managed to escape with 45HP. At this point I was out of food and with like 500g (calling a merchant already costing 2.6k).

I decided to do Crypt to get gold for a food merchant, hoping RNG would provide some rations in the process too. I was already hungry (or even very hungry, can't remember) without any rations left when I found a ration, and then I found a couple of them more. Regarding gold, clearing Crypt gave me like 2.3k. I went back to Zot, and cleared a little bit more on the upper levels until I had 2.6k and was able to call a merchant. After that, it was just a matter of carefully doing Zot:5 and the orb run.

I was surprised I had to use three food shops in this run. I used very few spells. What do you think? Was I unlucky or have there been some changes regarding ration generation in the game?

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 2nd July 2019, 04:05

Re: YAVP: OpFi^Gozag | For once, food was a problem

You can use objstat to check these suspicions.

In 0.23, in a 3-rune game with Swamp and Snake, about 124 rations are generated on average.

From your action table, you ate 109 rations and 8 rations existed in your inventory at the end of the game. This number presumably includes the rations you got from Gozag call shop. So, it looks like you were fairly unlucky with food drops. Also you played a little bit slow (but not that slow, considering that you were a squid).

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
quik

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 2nd July 2019, 06:24

bel wrote:You can use objstat to check these suspicions.

This is awesome! I love data! :D If I ate 109 rations and I had 8 in my inventory at the end of the game and I bought 34, I understand it means 83 rations were generated. Average rations in objstat is 123.73, with SD 19.27. The probability of getting less than 83 in this normal distribution is 1.73%. So yeah, percentile 98 unlucky.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 2nd July 2019, 07:57

Keep in mind that you are playing 0.24 (trunk?); however, I doubt that food generation has been changed significantly since 0.23.

You could also have missed a food vault somewhere. There's that vault with the bees and there's another vault with the jellies.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
quik

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 2nd July 2019, 10:35

Sounds like you might be taking too much damage. My post-lair Octos of Gozaq have a surplus of food, unless they are exceedingly weak.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 2nd July 2019, 10:45

le_nerd wrote:Sounds like you might be taking too much damage. My post-lair Octos of Gozaq have a surplus of food, unless they are exceedingly weak.

It's my first Octopode win, I can't compare, but it was a relatively easy run. I didn't feel I was taking much damage.

EDIT: Can you check the number of rations consumed by some of your Octopodes?

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 4th July 2019, 10:39

Hi, can't really check. I changed to play 1Rune crawl a while ago and apparently have never won a full 3 rune gozaq game with Octopodes. Would be checkable for 1 Rune games but I don't know my way around Sequell querys. If you want to give it a try be my guest.

I also should mention that my won Octo games are only 40k-60k long, so yeah, compared to me you definitely take too much damage. But I'm not a realistic standard to base Octos around anymore apparently.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 4th July 2019, 16:17

le_nerd wrote:I also should mention that my won Octo games are only 40k-60k long

Wow, my lowest turn count win ever is a TrWr^Yred, with 71k turns. So yeah, not even close.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too