The new throwing is pretty good

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 16th May 2019, 18:31

The new throwing is pretty good

In response to the change to throwing viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24111&p=338927#p338927 I've run a throwing Ogre.

I started as a fighter (for the shield) with an axe (for crowd control). It turns out the new javelins are actually better at crowd control than axes, because they can hit multiple enemies whilst only one enemy hits me :lol:
I went with Oka for ammo and armour.
Throwing was really good, possibly too good. The new javelins are insane. Killing TRJ with piercing silver javelins (and Heroism + Finesse) was ridiculous.
It allowed me to go through the dungeon in a slightly unorthodox order (Dungeon -> Orc (for extra Boomerangs) -> Lair -> Shoals (free throwables) -> Slime -> Snake -> Depths -> Zot)

I changed my strategy slightly when I found the Staff of Olgreb, which I used a lot. Toxic radiance and poison invulnerability are pretty nice. It's a pity there was no Spider's Nest ;)
  Code:
Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 | 19-21 | 22-24 | 25-27 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Evoke: Staff of Olgreb   |       |       |       |    28 |   111 |    86 |    18 |    24 |     7 ||   274

For a lot of the game I actually used large rocks as my 'cheap' ammo option (the thing to throw at enemies I don't really care about,) which was weird. In the period where I used javelins for almost everything I went down from 70 javelins to 50, so it wasn't sustainable. I'm sure the same would have happened if I had used boomerangs as my main weapon.

Here's the character dump: https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/pete ... ordia5.txt

I'll fridge this character for a while, whilst considering whether to go extended.
If I do, would it be worth enchanting a holy war axe up to +9? (I have 1 +0 holy war axe, 10 scrolls of enchant weapon, 1 manual of axes, and some non-holy broad axes)

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 17th May 2019, 13:27

Re: The new throwing is pretty good

Fsim is needed but I'm almost sure a +9 plain broad axe is going to be significantly better than a +9 holy war axe against evil targets, at least at 0 and >=18 axes skill.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 19th May 2019, 19:43

Re: The new throwing is pretty good

petercordia wrote:For a lot of the game I actually used large rocks as my 'cheap' ammo option (the thing to throw at enemies I don't really care about,) which was weird.

Weird flex, but still an awesome post.
There is always something new to learn.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too