YASD: Naga Transmuter, murdered in V:5, but don't know why..

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2019, 11:35

YASD: Naga Transmuter, murdered in V:5, but don't know why..

I started as a Naga Transmuter, intending to go for dragon form (to get the bonus hp & mr from being a naga without suffering from the naga slowness). Fairly early on I found some ice dragon scales though, and because that is end-game quality equipment I decided to build my character around it. I dumped all my enchant armour scrolls on it, and got it to +7 by the time I died, focussed on Beastly Appendage -> blade hands, and went Oka.

Oka ended up giving me the +8 longbow "Zephyr" {speed, Dex+3 SInv}, and I had some fun shooting with it at 0 skill, so I decided to train for it. The alternative would have been to get some offensive ranged spells going, but since I never found any and the bow was nice, I'm happy with my choice.
I realise I accidentally dropped Zephyr instead of a less-good artefact bow at some point. This may have contributed to my demise.

Oka also gave me the +2 helmet "Xeacae" {rC- Int+7} and some other good gear, and I ended up with pretty high Stength, Int, Dex, MR, and AC. The only slot I didn't get something good in was my cloak.

I finished the Shoals, Spider, Elf, Depths, Crypt, and V:1-4. Vault felt rather easy, and I'd done Crypt after doing V:1-4. I just needed one more rune to enter ZOT and claim the Orb. I buffed up with Heroism, took a shaft into V:5, and got absolutely massacred. I still don't understand why.

I landed in a treasure vault, in sight of some books and evokables. I read a scroll of mapping, shot the bow a few times. At that point I realised enemies were arriving faster than I could kill them with the bow. I thought that I'd killed a few enemies in my current location, and the whole map would be full of enemies, so it wouldn't make sense to teleport. I switched to blade hands, and got Finesse. Read a scroll of summoning which appeared to work. Somehow my summons were getting killed, despite them outnumbering their enemies. I read another scoll of summoning. Got stuck between a gold dragon and a storm dragon. Quaffed heal wounds. Tried to kill the storm dragon. And then got killed by lightning.

Last time I shafted into V:5 (with a Formicide) I didn't need to fight near as many enemies. Also, I didn't expect the enemies I fought to be much tougher than they'd been in V:4.
I certainly could have equipped more appropriate gear. The +1 naga barding of Contentment {rElec rF+ rC+} in particular would have provided better protection against lighting.

Here's the character dump: https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/petercordia3/morgue-petercordia3-20190212-105633.txt

[Edited to correct the link and clarify a statement]
Last edited by petercordia on Tuesday, 12th February 2019, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2019, 11:59

Re: YASD: Naga Transmuter, murdered in V:5, but don't know w

This is the dump of your death: https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/pete ... 105633.txt

I can't understand anything from the ascii code of the layout of where you were fighting but from the list of monsters it was bad.
Too many things at once, many of which could hurt you at same time. You most probably died because you fight more than you could handle at same time.
Other considerations such as the bow being sub optimal, not having buffed with !might, !agility, etc are secondary to that.

Moreover, there was at least a Convoker. Did you let him keep summoning monsters? I'm not 100% sure but I think he could do even out of los if he could see some of your summons.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
petercordia

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2019, 12:12

It's probably a combination of issues. From what I can tell
1 - In V5 I'd have kept teleporting until I got to a secluded corner and then tried to manage my noise and los to attract only small crowds to me.
2 - You need more dodging. Ac alone is not enough IMO. It should be balanced with at least SH or EV. If you're going ranged, all the exp that went to ua and transmutation/sc should have gone to dodge, even in spite of naga's large size. One source of damage is enough, why have ua+transmute together with bow?
3 - Wrong bow.
4 - Maybe train more stealth, it's cheap and good.
make food great again

For this message the author pedritolo has received thanks:
nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2019, 12:22

You were standing near a wall and the bolt of lightning hit you twice.
Dragon form does not give MR by the way.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2019, 12:53

petercordia wrote:The +1 naga barding of Contentment {rElec rF+ rC+} in particular would have provided better protection against lighting.

You traded rElec and rF+ for AC 2, that was root cause of the death. Also I would use brooch of shielding, as Naga you cannot benefit much from acrobat anyway because you cannot run too much.

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
petercordia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2019, 13:00

petercordia wrote: I thought that I'd killed a few enemies in my current location, and the whole map would be full of enemies, so it wouldn't make sense to teleport.

This was the crucial mistake. You definitely should have teleported to a better location.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 2
nago, petercordia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2019, 13:04

Why have you dropped Zephyr on Depths:5?

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2019, 13:55

I think I dropped Sephyr when I was attempting to drop a bow I'd just picked up. Oka kept giving me bows, and I kept having to pick them up, wield them, then drop them (hoping for a piercing brand). I didn't read the description of the bow I was dropping very carefully.
I thought the convoker wasn't summoning because he didn't have a flag. I guess his presence should've been enough to make me teleport regardeless.

Thanks for your advice! Next time I'll weigh my equipment better, and teleport more.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th February 2019, 14:27

Speed is the best brand for longbow and Zephyr has speed brand.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 13th February 2019, 08:51

petercordia wrote:I thought the convoker wasn't summoning because he didn't have a flag. I guess his presence should've been enough to make me teleport regardeless.

Probably I haven't been clear:

if the convoker was in your LOS he wasn't summoning unless he had the "flag".
However if that convoker (or another one) was outside your LOS but at least one of your summon was inside his LOS he could act and eventually use his convoker spells.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 13th February 2019, 17:43

I noticed you weren't carrying any potions of resistance, which you could have used for rElec. Potions of resistance are rare, so it's possible there weren't any available.

Electricity (partially?) ignores AC, so it is particularly dangerous. I probably would have worn that barring with rElec for the -2AC trade-off.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too