YAVP: My first win!! :D :D (MiBe)

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 2nd July 2018, 23:02

YAVP: My first win!! :D :D (MiBe)

Dear fellow Crawlers,

I first started playing this game over two months ago. Thanks to my addictive personality, I was quickly hooked. Finally, after countless hours crawling through the dungeon and dying in stupidest possible ways, I picked up the Orb of Zot and made it back to this world, full of light and green.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... 222517.txt

This was the first time I actually explored the depths (I would usually die someplace higher), so it's nice my first run through them and the first encounter with realm of zot was not lethal.
The final run itself was pretty easy (thanks wand of digging!), but I almost shit myself when i got tormented twice back in Zot:5.

Anyway, great game, now gonna take off the armor and breath some fresh air...

Cheers, yo!

P.S.
Any comments regarding my character?
Also, what's a good one to try next?

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 3rd July 2018, 00:37

Re: YAVP: My first win!! :D :D (MiBe)

Congrats. The character looks fine to me.

If you want to try something different, SpEn or DEFE/DrFE are options.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 3rd July 2018, 12:10

If you want to try a different low/no magic playstyle, pick Wu Jian or Uskayaw.
For a hybrid, try GnWz.
For a mage, try DgFe.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 4th July 2018, 01:15

Thanks for the advice, FE sounds like a cool background to try next. Does it go better with Sif Muna or Vehumet?

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 4th July 2018, 03:41

I prefer Vehumet for a straightforward and smooth experience, but both are fine. From the viewpoint of power level, Kiku is probably best, though it can be annoying.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 4th July 2018, 08:21

Demigods can be pretty hard to play, I would rather advise you to play Gr or Hu for a mage (GrEE is very strong, IE is a very strong background for anyone).
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 4th July 2018, 10:35

I advised to try Gn or Dg, because both simplify the game (no skill training, no gods), which may be helpful for a new player. Also both teach the most valuable crawl skill: using every resource the dungeon provides, to your advantage.

Fe goes well with solid melee. Conjure Flames to create a postional advantage, whack them with polearms, sticky flame them... +Fireball for crowds and hard-to-hit enemies, will get you very far. It's a background which doesn't need to acquire additional spells early, while being quite MP efficient. So, Sif/Vehu/Kiku are not mandatory.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too