[CiP] MiBe^Trog I have too much junk!

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 23rd May 2018, 22:00

[CiP] MiBe^Trog I have too much junk!

Hello all.

This run is the furthest I have ever gotten. I haven't had too much trouble with anything, but one thing that is constantly tripping me up is inventory management.
I have so much stuff that looks useful and I don't know what is junk and what is just stuff to leave in a stash. Part of the problem is I don't know what to use for ranged damage, so I have a handcrossbow and bolts, as well as wands and javelins.
I also don't know if its time to use my enchant weapon scrolls or if there is a chance I will find something better later.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Attachments
38.txt
(25.51 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 23rd May 2018, 23:04

Re: [CiP] MiBe^Trog I have too much junk!

Hmm...

If you weren't using a shield I'd suggest starting with some evocations (5 in lair, 10 by depths) and then longbows. I like evocations because it's a handy way to disable some annoying enemies (like polymorphing electric eels) or to get some extra punch (wand of clouds.) Longbows have good damage.

But since you're using a shield I'd say evocations followed by throwing. Javelins are nice, especially penetration brand for hitting high priority targets that hide behind other mobs. OTOH throwing can be annoying since Trog will give you like 20 different kinds of ammo so you have to constantly make decisions.

Small easy inventory adjustments: you don't need 2 rings of poison since they don't stack. You can ditch the falchion. The demon trident is ok to keep for the random annoying late-game hydras though. If you have a second broad axe with a different brand, it's worth swapping in and out since antimagic doesn't do anything vs enemies which don't use spells or magical abilities. The ring of fire can go--you already have plate of rF+ and a ring of protection from fire. Amulet of the gourmand can go--you have 48 rations and regen will serve you a bit better. How does your evasion hold up if you take that dex ring off? If you don't take a big hit, MR+ gear is very nice in vaults and elf. You have two pips already, but a third will still be helpful.

Oh, btw, if you put your character dump in [code] tags people won't have to download it.

Congrats on 2 runes!

For this message the author cjo has received thanks:
Thirtyeight

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 23rd May 2018, 23:15

Thanks for the tip, I was wondering how people were doing that.

I guess the only reason I'm wearing the dex ring is because of my boots being -5 dex.
Should I ditch the crossbow and bolts then?

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 23rd May 2018, 23:27

Right now while you don't have skill in anything, plinking away with that crossbow is a decent move and will help reward you for letting monsters come to you instead of charging them. I'd keep it until you have a decent amount of throwing skill, assuming inventory isn't actually driving you mad yet :)

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 24th May 2018, 00:26

Well crap! My character met his end after I severely underestimated how dangerous caustic shrikes are. That is disappointing.

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 24th May 2018, 01:54

Caustic shrikes are vicious! Still, if you did it once you can do it again. Good luck!

For this message the author cjo has received thanks:
Thirtyeight

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too