Extended or not?

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 24th April 2018, 21:32

Extended or not?

So I have this char: https://crawl.project357.org/morgue/zhorgal/zhorgal.txt. It had its moments, mainly Oka´s presents were utter rubbish but finally got a Vault on U:3 (I think) were I got demon whips and the +12 GDS. I think I may have been spending XP quite badly. My questions are mainly these:
  • Should I go TSO? Main points against is that I stupidly spent my scrolls of enchanting on two demon whips. I could turn one of them into a trishula but the other not, One is an electric demon whip which is very good ofc.
  • Should I instead go Makhleb? I get to keep the electric demon whip and get heal on kills. But TSO is better in extended I think.
  • I have a small number of javelins. Oka hasn't given a lot because I trained Throwing late. If I leave Oka I'll probably not get any more Javs.
  • Should I go to Abyss and V:5 to try to find more Javs? I'm a bit afraid of V:5 even though it's probably stupid as I guess it's hard to die with this many AC and the resists I have.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 25th April 2018, 01:47

Re: Extended or not?

You should be more scared of Extended than V:5.

Do V:5. Switch to TSO, use eveningstar. Do Abyss. Train Invocations and use them. Bless the demon whip of slashing when you get 6* piety. Don't expect more javelins. Do Pan & Hells in whatever order. Do Tomb last.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 29th April 2018, 06:20

I'd clear V:5 first, you should be okay. Switch to TSO, clear crypt until you have max piety then bless a broad axe and train axes up some (you can switch between the axe and eveningstar based on if you're fighting a tough single target or a pile), then switch to Zin and return to the crypt and get max piety, or at least close to it. Next, clear the abyss then Zot:5. After Zot5 is clear, go back to TSO and clear hells and tomb in whatever order you are most comfortable with. Clear pan last. Invocations is a definite priority to train.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 30th April 2018, 06:42

I cleared V:5. It was simple enough. I stair danced a bit and when things got hairy, i teleported and landed on a good spot then proceeded to methodically clear the level. During the abyss, I learned regeneration and BVC.
Then I decided to do the Abyss because there was a trove that asked for the rune. Oh how I loath the abyss! I hate it with passion! I went to the third level and started exploring it. At some point, something threw me to the fourth level. It took a looong time. At some point I had to teleport and used regeneration a lot to save my bacon many times.
Finally found the rune, i was fed up, caught it, teleported and immediately after it found the exit.
I had many temporary mutations but had done the crypt before V:5 so I went to the vestibule of hell. I was bored! Lots of monsters, no aoe, I forgot I had taken BVC and it took forever. Then Murray appeared. I was considering bailing out but Stoneychips suggested LRD and a few killed him. Then I killed Geryon.
But at this point I just wanted to finish it and went to Zot. I had a stair immediately close to one of the lungs so I LRDd a path and cleared just one side, took the orb and finished.
5 runes and my first streak. Not very heroic but there it is.
https://crawl.project357.org/morgue/zhorgal/morgue-zhorgal-20180429-195519.txt

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too