Streak of 15-rune games

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 14th February 2018, 14:34

Streak of 15-rune games

Streak is ongoing: #20.
(Link to games in sign.)
None of the combos was a hard one.

Species:
3: Ce, Mi
2: Ho, DD, Gh, Hu
1: Dg, Gr, Ba, Mf, Tr, Og

Gods:
6: Oka
4: Oka->TSO
2: Makhleb (DD), Uskayaw, Gozag, Trog->TSO
1: no god, Nemelex

Stat-increasement went to INT in almost every case in preparation for extended/spells.
Most chars have a shield somewhen.

Spell selection looks nearly the same in each morgue:
Statue form: even on non-UC.
Aura of abj: to get rid of summons when the summoner cannot be easily killed (Pan lord, GM)
PoG, Blink: movement
Lesser beck, Apportation: valuable when in statue form and cheap.
Butterflies: never used the spell since I have lightning spire but they are good
Passwall: even when this spell is used only on the orbrun
Deflect M., Shroud of G., regen.: defensive spells
Lee's rapid dec.: creating corners/cover or to steal runes (Tartarus)
Lightning spire + Portal Projectile: Spire to block LoF, PP+Throwing to get rid of the malmutator/whatever.
Silence: for Tomb. Hardly ever use it (as an emerg.) and will be unlearned after Tomb.
B.v.Clutch: comes with necro (regen) and statue form (earth). There is no reason not to use it and it is one of the spells I consider to be broken/much too strong.

Invisible is strong in Extended to avoid some monster (tormentor, neqoxec, hellion, death scarab,..) but training it (or finding the spell) won't happen often. Inv on an item/potion will do fine.
I value stealth a lot and try to have some stealth (some combos have stealth skilled a bit in the beginning) for as long as possible. Certainly trained for Ext.

Typical order of a run:
D1-D11/d12
Lair
Orc
D12-D15
Both Lair branches
V1-4
Elf
Depths 1-5
V5
Slime
Zot 1-4
Crypt
Hell Vest.
Abyss
Tomb
Hell
Pan
Zot 5

Crypt is rather late to keep the option for TSO if I have trouble with some resists.
Tomb is done early since I have statue form and I have to care less if my resists are still incomplete.

For this message the author Nebukadnezar has received thanks: 11
Airwolf, Eyesburn, Ge0ff, nago, Octopode-monk-of-XOM, Patashu, stoneychips, Turukano, Vajrapani, VeryAngryFelid and one more user

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 14th February 2018, 16:08

Re: Streak of 15-rune games

Very nice streak. Wow.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 15th February 2018, 13:00

Memorable moments:

BaFi: down in D1 I met a gecko (monster #1 ! ) which I couldn't kill but it made good progress killing me. Quaffed my starting-kit-might. Thought it would last a bit longer for something like Sigmund ?

MiMo: In Lair I met a pack of death yaks which I countered by playing a card from a summoning deck. Got a neqoxec+rakhasa. While I was busy evading a death yak I expected my summons to kill it before the rest of the pack showed up. After the fight I had 11(16) Int. A hostile neqoxec and I didn't even notice it ! Just wondered why the fight seemed to last much longer than I thought. How many badmuts did I get ? Relec :)

Some game in #17-#19: Orbrun without the Orb. Chat noticed it first that I was standing on the Exit without the Orb. I'm getting paranoid about things slipping my mind. Now I even check my collection of runes before I exit. Do I really have 15 ? Can Maurice steal runes ?

HoAr: Fell down a shaft 6->9 and 11->13 but the point is getting abyssed in between at xp-lvl 10:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24569&p=323561#p323561

CeAs: Got my cloak of mr at tc=98k. 0 ring of mr, 0 Armour with mr (checked them all. Walked with a robe of mr for most of Dungeon/Orc). Mr was a problem for most of the game. I had to wield otherwise pointless artifact weapons to be in safe territory but I couldn't kill anything with them. This became my longest game.

MiAs: In Tomb 2 (small area) I create a killhole (lrd) into the bigger section. I've been teleported (tp-trap, disto weapon) more than once (when I look at all of my games) so I really want tomb 2 to be dead. One by one I can kill monster 1vs1. One of them is a player ghost. He glaciates me the moment he walks into my killhole. That's a lot of damage when you're adjacent to it. Silence helped.

CeAr: the players who collect hs must have missed this combo. I got a combo-hs while playing extremely carefully.

For this message the author Nebukadnezar has received thanks: 4
Airwolf, nago, Sprucery, VeryAngryFelid

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 15th February 2018, 20:53

Nebukadnezar wrote:Memorable moments: [...]

Some game in #17-#19: Orbrun without the Orb. Chat noticed it first that I was standing on the Exit without the Orb.

It was the BaFi ^ Oka game in which this happened. Here's some of the code:

Code:
109363 | Zot:5    | Gained mutation: You have sharp toenails. [potion of mutation]

[running up to D:1 without the orb]

[webtiles chat, see below]

[running down to Zot:5 again]

110593 | Zot:5    | Got the Orb of Zot

As Nebukadnezar uses a travel delay of 0 he "ascended" (without the orb) in a few seconds as there was only a single short interruption.

Also, I made a copy of the chat :-) . As Nebukadnezar didn't mind mentioning the game, here it is. If anybody would like his comment to be deleted please ask me.

10 spectators (Esc: back to game)
Nebukadnezar, beem, garbagetei, Ghella, Pawles22, ReniFell, Rhok, Sergey, Turgon and 2 Anon
Rhok: 15 on the wayy
Turgon: A killer goblin comes into view
Nebukadnezar: chaos attack brand
Turgon: It is wielding the +99 great mace "KillThemAll"
Nebukadnezar: d1
Turgon: Oh, no foes on the orbrun?!
Turgon: lol
Rhok: OO
Rhok: fast
Turgon: Never saw this before
Nebukadnezar: I just 'stealthed' through !?
Rhok: NINJA
Turgon: Oh, you don't have the orb
Turgon: do you?

Rhok: LOL
Nebukadnezar: ......
Rhok: HAHAHAHAHAHA
Nebukadnezar: I'm soo... ??
Rhok: classy
Nebukadnezar: 5 min break
Turgon: Well, you are not the first one who did this!
Nebukadnezar: player is losing his concentration
Rhok: this is the typical fail lmao
Rhok: but noone realised til now
Rhok: ;D
Turgon: I always check several times if I really HAVE the orb :-)
Nebukadnezar: thank god I didn't exit the dungeon ending my streak !
Turgon: no
Turgon: you get a prompt if you want to leave
Turgon: Or at least it always was like this iirc
Rhok: and nebukadnezar plays too conscious to input the Y after the >
Rhok: so the ultimate fail wouldnt ever happen
Rhok: ;P
Turgon: Imagine this would have happened to Charly when he broke 18 k with 15 runes
Turgon: Noticing missing orb on D:1
Nebukadnezar: suicide
Turgon: Well, it's about 600 - 800 turns
Turgon: so multiply by 2
Nebukadnezar: 500 if you took the hatch, too
Nebukadnezar: 3 potion haste
Nebukadnezar: going to toilette first
Turgon: Mhmm, did you pick up the shadow DS instead of orb?
Rhok: k we're back
Rhok: remember to get that thingy

Rhok: heheheh
Nebukadnezar: :)
Rhok: damn, no NINJA orbrun
Rhok: oh well

[...]

Nebukadnezar: whew
Turgon: Your HP were down in the 2-digit
Nebukadnezar: I quaffed hw and let tornado do its thing
Turgon: yes
Rhok: ah this time you grabbed the orb
Nebukadnezar: damage is mirrored to seraph
Rhok: a revolutionary act indeed
Wehk: gg ^^
Turgon: Congrats!

Nebukadnezar: 15 :)
Nebukadnezar: thx
Nebukadnezar: I nearly died in d1
Nebukadnezar: to a gecko
Wehk: lul
Nebukadnezar: down to 4 hp when I quaffed might
Rhok: congratz on 15th win
Wehk: i nearly died on D1 on one of my wins too, but that was against 6 pan lords :q
Nebukadnezar: my first monster it was
Rhok: !streak $p
beem: Nebukadnezar has 15 consecutive wins (DDSk, TrBe, MiAr, HOAr, OgTm, GrSk, HuFi, MfTm, CeMo, GhAs, DDVM, GhSk, CeAr, DgTm, BaFi), and can keep going!

For this message the author Turukano has received thanks:
Nebukadnezar

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 18th February 2018, 16:56

..and the streak ended after 21 wins with a MiIE in D2 in game #22.
Shot by a centaur in D2 (!) after 460 turns in D2 when i picked up a scroll.
Had only rc identified.
First hit was 19 damage, followed by 2 (?) misses, 13 damage (1 hp left, only skilled fighting), 10 damage.
Was able to read 4 scrolls: immolation, identify (might), enchant weapon, fog (didn't help)
The remaining 2 scrolls were magic mapping and....Blink.
I've read scrolls because I needed to get out immediately. Any hit could have killed me. Fear, Blink would have done it. Summonings and to a lesser degree tp would have helped, too.
(No way to reach a corner.)
http://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/Ne ... 160927.txt

Had good stealth but he got first action.
I don't think I've ever seen a D2-centaur before (at least not in 'normal time on a level).
Was surprised that I even got 4 actions.

For this message the author Nebukadnezar has received thanks: 2
Airwolf, nago

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 18th February 2018, 20:06

Too bad, horrible luck. Yeah, centaurs and ice beasts and such can show up on D:2, rare but possible, even now without the OOD timer.

EDIT: I guess technically it was avoidable if you manually explored more carefully so the centaur was revealed while you were closer to cover, but who has the time to play around D:2 centaurs?
Last edited by Patashu on Sunday, 18th February 2018, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 18th February 2018, 20:43

Ouch! Bad luck really getting him on the open like that.

Congrats for you awesome streak anyway!
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 19th February 2018, 13:03

Congratulation with winning the longest streak of 15-runes games! The previous record was held by Sphara, who won 16 15-runes games in a row.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 19th February 2018, 17:45

Very impressive! I'm curious about the MiMo^Nem run. If I'm reading that morgue right it was an emergency grab to survive an early D:4-7 shaft? I'm curious whether it was much use during the postgame or if you only stuck with Nem because of how dangerous the wrath could be.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 19th February 2018, 22:47

Ge0ff wrote:Congratulation with winning the longest streak of 15-runes games! The previous record was held by Sphara, who won 16 15-runes games in a row.

I thought there was no competition, thx.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 19th February 2018, 22:49

nago wrote:Ouch! Bad luck really getting him on the open like that.

Congrats for you awesome streak anyway!

..but I didn't make it into the top10 which was what I thought when the centaur killed my MiIE.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 19th February 2018, 22:59

Thalfon wrote:If I'm reading that morgue right it was an emergency grab to survive an early D:4-7 shaft?

Yes it was.
I was surprised when I got 3 decks the turn I joined.

Nemelex is a good god for streaking (not losing).
I want a god who gives an early power boost so he was not my preferred choice but definitely among the useful gods.

Okawaru, Fedhas, Nemelex, Gozag are good choices.
(I don't allow myself Trog unless xyBe or Makhleb unless DDxy)

Thalfon wrote:I'm curious whether it was much use during the postgame or if you only stuck with Nem because of how dangerous the wrath could be.

At high Invo/piety you can get from a leg. deck of summoning: a Pan Lord.
Stacking escape decks is one way to use piety.
It means you have access to shaft (in Hell to get to lvl 7) and most important: Elixir. (Never tried tomb).
Standing in Tomb 3 (on an exit) and *gaining* hp/mp while casting spells and receiving torment is priceless.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 19th February 2018, 23:11

Patashu wrote:Too bad, horrible luck. Yeah, centaurs and ice beasts and such can show up on D:2, rare but possible, even now without the OOD timer.

EDIT: I guess technically it was avoidable if you manually explored more carefully so the centaur was revealed while you were closer to cover, but who has the time to play around D:2 centaurs?

I started in the very east.
Went south then north using corridors.
I came to the area where I later died and went back to stairs because it was too open.
Went north then west.
The opening in the north is where I came from.
It is also the place where I lured a hobgoblin to and killed him with stones.
These stones I picked up and the loot (scrolls) when the centaur got me.

It is most likely that he was awake and wandering since I entered the lvl.

During all of this running around I picked up a scroll to get a stack of 2.
Optimal play would require me to run back to stairs and read this stack.
This is something I won't do (I'm reading stacks when lvl is clear) but moving/cover was manually and not auto-exploring.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 20th February 2018, 04:18

Nemelex is a good god for streaking (not losing).
I want a god who gives an early power boost so he was not my preferred choice but definitely among the useful gods.

Yeah that makes sense. I had a run where I got shafted from D:2 and landed in a narrow hallway between an orc priest and an ogre. Had I not taken a D:1 Nem altar, I can't imagine I'd have gotten out of that.

At high Invo/piety you can get from a leg. deck of summoning: a Pan Lord.
Stacking escape decks is one way to use piety.
It means you have access to shaft (in Hell to get to lvl 7) and most important: Elixir. (Never tried tomb).
Standing in Tomb 3 (on an exit) and *gaining* hp/mp while casting spells and receiving torment is priceless.

Heh that actually sounds pretty fun lol. Did not know decks of summoning got that good. When I saw you only drew cards a few hundred times, and only 82 at the top level range, I figured in a 15 rune game that you hadn't seen much use from it.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 20th February 2018, 09:59

Thalfon wrote: Did not know decks of summoning got that good.

I don't know the %, you can also get yaktaur

Thalfon wrote: When I saw you only drew cards a few hundred times, and only 82 at the top level range, I figured in a 15 rune game that you hadn't seen much use from it.

When you look at my chars who ascended they have stealth. That's with the orb (lowers stealth).
In Hell/Pan I prefer not to fight at all but walk away when I see a monster.
Each summon would increase the % for engagements so my chars usually don't want summons at that stage no matter how powerful the summons could be. Other player might like it.

Next is inventory space. Carrying 5 decks means that some other items are not in my inv.

# of using decks isn't always a metric how useful a god is.
Having 2 stacked decks of escape with 5*Elixir alone would be enough to call that god powerful.
Even if I never use them.
My chars (in endgame) won't *need* any god abilities in an estimated 99.5% of all engagements.

Edit:
This is my 2nd try with MiIE: http://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/Ne ... 210020.txt
3.800 turns for tomb (I took my time to kill them all, no ninja)
4.600 for 4*Hell
2.900 for 5*Pan

Extended (10 runes) is pretty short.
There isn't much turncount to use *any* abilities :)

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too