YAVP: DEFE of Sif Muna - My first 15 rune victory!

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 10th October 2017, 21:58

YAVP: DEFE of Sif Muna - My first 15 rune victory!

Greetings everyone!

Long time player (been playing since 4.0), first time poster. Some months back I completed my first 15-rune victory and have since felt compelled to share this glorious achievement with anyone and everyone who would listen. I've only ever managed to convince one friend to become obsessed with DCSS, so naturally I only have one person who can really grok the sense of accomplishment I feel. I've decided to enter into the DCSS community here because I feel seasoned enough now that I can meaningfully contribute to the conversation, and, frankly, because I want to brag. While I'm a new as a commenter, I've been visiting the forums for many years for information of all kinds, and want to issue a heartfelt thanks to all of those who've taken the time to share their insights and wisdom. You've all made me incalculably better as a player. Now, some comments on the character:

morgue-JuiceTruther-20170915-160203.txt
(101.18 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

-I've found FE to be more consistent than Wz as a background for a pure caster. Wz certainly starts with the more versatile spellset, but too often I found myself in the lair without the offensive capability necessary to compete. Magic Darting hydras = death.

-I managed to win with this character in large part because I read the description for Sublimation of Blood for the first time in many versions. I had it in my head that this spell produces various potions from corpses, am I delusional or was this the case for a while?

-I also cleared a ziggurat for the first time during this run, and faced probably my closest call in one of the higher floors (24 or 25 I believe). The theme of this floor seemed to be "more tier-1 demons than you can count" and I barely got out alive by using Death's Door. This incident alone suggests I have a long way to go in improving my strategy.

-I feel as though I got a significantly better than average spread of resistances on my equipment this run, but I'm not sure exactly what one should expect to find when doing an extended run.

-I was training Armor to see if I could get to the point where I could reliably cast my high level spells with heavy armor, despite such low strength. I realized that was likely superfluous and probably should have just improved various schools of magic.

DCSS is, simply put, my favorite video game. Thanks again to everyone who's contributions have helped me improve, and thanks to the developers who continue to work on such a great game!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th October 2017, 23:00

Re: YAVP: DEFE of Sif Muna - My first 15 rune victory!

OgreMage wrote:-I managed to win with this character in large part because I read the description for Sublimation of Blood for the first time in many versions. I had it in my head that this spell produces various potions from corpses, am I delusional or was this the case for a while?

That was a different spell, called "fulsome distillation" it was removed a few years back.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 11th October 2017, 03:46

Congrats on the win!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 11th October 2017, 17:27

Congrats and welcome!

Scrolls of fog (and staying in corners) help alot in those nasty Zig floors that have lots of torment and smite. Necromutation makes you immune to torment (but careful of its downsides). Mahkleb's healing on kills and Ignition or Tornado (plus some MP channelling) are the ultimate zig strategy.

With each zig you complete, the next one gets harder...

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 11th October 2017, 18:51

But you did the right thing in Zig, using Death's Door. That's what it is for.
Maɟaŋ

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too