YAVP: gnoll fighter of chei

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 3rd August 2017, 02:22

YAVP: gnoll fighter of chei

Morgue.

The gnoll challenge (newgnoll of chei) has been completed. You don't get cheistats so your damage sucks and you can't run from anything. I alleviated the first problem by using an elec dagger and spamming bend time through lair and then getting a pretty early demon whip and an excellent artifact hand crossbow shortly after, but it was still a pretty bad character. I can't say it was objectively hard though; this was the second attempt after a GnSu that died in Lair:6 and I did some very stupid stuff tactically and strategically in this one. You can still lean on some overpowered things with gnolls, like hex wands, which I trained an unreasonable amount of evo for, and summons, which I used extensively toward the end of the game. Other than that all you need to do is try to have good positioning as much as possible and have enough caution to not fault. I did most of vaults with no magic resistance, did elf with no magic resistance, got abyssed twice in elf, trained a medium shield, used way too much slouch and not enough of the other chei abilities, went 27 evo for the title, and still managed to barely not die. I got some really fun vaults too, like U:5 profane halls and Zot:4 acid trip, which made the game truly a joy to complete. In the end it only took about 10.5 hours and 119,000 turns to win. Maybe I should have taken it easier?

Now that I'm done playing this piece of shit character, it's time to throw the gauntlet. Somebody needs to step up and take one for the team and win a 15 rune gnoll of chei game. No abandoning, no incurring penance. Only you, chei, and the fifteen runes of fun.

I would like to conclude by thanking the greatest fast food hamburger sandwich ever created, the Whataburger patty melt, for giving me the strength and fortitude to endure this awful game. Good night and God bless.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 6
bel, chequers, nago, nublet, Shtopit, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd August 2017, 06:42

Re: YAVP: gnoll fighter of chei

Well, that character was really weird as there was no reason to save piety. Did you spam slouch late game as soon as you got to **** piety? And 50 bend times in XL 13-15 range for the same reason of intentional waste of piety?
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 3rd August 2017, 10:38

Is there any reason why such a combo should be allowed? It might be better to pull some fluff (Cheib sighs "Doggies always wanna run") and simply disable Chei for them. Or was the game fun?

Also, congrats for your result!
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 3rd August 2017, 10:44

You end up with a lot of special cases. Mu can't worship Gozag, Fe can't worship Oka, and so on.

It would be better if either god powers or species restrictions had priority. I'm leaning towards god powers. At the moment we have a mish-mash of special cases.

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks:
nago

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 3rd August 2017, 20:58

Yes, violently agree, give gnolls Cheistats, let mummies berserk, etc.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 4th August 2017, 00:04

There was no intentional piety runoff to stay at low piety. Maybe it would have been more optimal to do that. I had to bend time every death yak (3 or 4 packs), sometimes twice if it ran out before I killed them. Also used it on hydras, komodo dragons, a few mambas and spiny frogs.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 4th August 2017, 23:17

Nice win, btw!

I'm spending 90% of my time complaining about this with Qazal, but I don't think that creating a situation where intentional piety run-off is optimal is E-V-E-R good design, unless (maybe) it's spelled out in the God description.

I am totally pulling for gnolls, though! Gnolls in stable! Hooray!

But I'd like to get some of the crap like that fixed, first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th August 2017, 23:24

Reptisaurus wrote:I don't think that creating a situation where intentional piety run-off is optimal is E-V-E-R good design

Solution: losing piety with Chei should not speed you up (you still lose the stats of course), losing piety with Qazlal should not reduce the noise etc.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 5th August 2017, 00:24

Assuming that it's actually optimal to stay at 0* for less speed penalty / less noise, you would just abandon and rejoin or manually estimate your piety and press 5 a lot when you're about to go up a rank. You'd have to give the full penalty immediately on joining if you wanted to avoid that, and that would be a big Chei and Qazlal nerf.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 5th August 2017, 00:44

Hellmonk wrote:Assuming that it's actually optimal to stay at 0* for less speed penalty / less noise,

Assuming that, I don't think you would worship the god in the first place (unless you just wanted to win the gods for completeness or something).

My suggestion would solve the problem of losing piety for V:5 and Abyss or some other specific situation.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Hellmonk

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 21st August 2017, 14:12

15 runes.

So, previous twelve gnolls died horribly without getting a single rune. Then I switched from Tm to IE and got a win. Early game was carried by Freeze and Summon Ice Beast. I didn't have any difficulties in the late game being in Statue Form.

P. S. If you chose to stay with Chei losing piety is the stupidest thing you can do. His abilities even without stat boost outweigh the drawback by a big margin.
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

For this message the author Yermak has received thanks: 5
Hellmonk, nago, njvack, nublet, VeryAngryFelid

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 21st August 2017, 14:25

h - amulet of Crawling {Reflect rF+++ Int-4 Slay-3 SH+5 SInv}

How extremely fitting, in multiple ways.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 24th August 2017, 03:47

Yermak wrote:15 runes.

So, previous twelve gnolls died horribly without getting a single rune. Then I switched from Tm to IE and got a win. Early game was carried by Freeze and Summon Ice Beast. I didn't have any difficulties in the late game being in Statue Form.

P. S. If you chose to stay with Chei losing piety is the stupidest thing you can do. His abilities even without stat boost outweigh the drawback by a big margin.

This is really late, but...

A B S O L U T E M A D M A N

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks:
Shtopit

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too