World record by Charly: melee rules again

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 07:16

World record by Charly: melee rules again

See subj, Charly won today a VSMo of Chei in 0.17 which is the best score. 17,823 turns for 15 runes, 80M score!
http://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/Ch ... 021441.txt
Last edited by archaeo on Monday, 10th July 2017, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod edit, moved to YAVP
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 07:34

Re: World record by Charly: melee rules again

That's pretty crazy.

Out of curiosity, why isn't he wearing a second ring? Save 0.5 turns from putting on someting that's not strictly necessary?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 07:36

Also I wonder where his body armour is. Unfortunately 0.17 does not show skill training and used body armour in the tables.

Edit. It's interesting how he trained Necro to 18 just for Borg and then has never used it. Safe play I guess. Though it was useful for Regen of course.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 07:39

He's in statue form. Presumably he's wearing this: s - the cursed +1 ring mail "Wirulau" {Str+4 Dex+5, unknown}

Golden Rune in less than 9000 turns. What?!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 07:45

If the ring mail has "unknown" inscription, it has never been put on. He does have 9 skills in Armour so I guess he was wearing a chain mail early
  Code:
2774 | D:8      | Identified the +1 chain mail of Acyko {MP+9 Slay+2} (You took it off an orc priest on level 8 of the Dungeon)

Statue Form was first cast in XL 16-18 range, I guess he might wear a TLA or robe starting from that and then he probably dropped it to free an inventory slot?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 10:32

Oh, I guess the ring slot is empty because of ring of teleportation.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 11:03

Yes, putting it on and removing it is quicker with an empty slot...

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 11:17

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:That's pretty crazy.

Out of curiosity, why isn't he wearing a second ring? Save 0.5 turns from putting on someting that's not strictly necessary?

At that point I was moslty using tele ring as my 2nd, took it off to avoid getting teleported away form the staircase.

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Also I wonder where his body armour is. Unfortunately 0.17 does not show skill training and used body armour in the tables.

Edit. It's interesting how he trained Necro to 18 just for Borg and then has never used it. Safe play I guess. Though it was useful for Regen of course.

I used the chain mail you mentioned in your latter post, but once I got Statue Form online there was no use for wearing body armour.

As for the turncount, it can be done even faster. This game was far form perfect, there were certain situations where I wasted turns, like Z5(didn`t do a PoG trick) or a 2k gap between exploring every Lair branch and getting 1st rune. Still sub 18k is a pretty solid score, hope it stays there for some time..

For this message the author Charly has received thanks: 6
4Hooves2Appendages, chequers, nago, Shtopit, stickyfingers, VeryAngryFelid

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 11:25

Congrats!

I saw the beginning but didn't know it would be a game like that...

One thing that really surprised me is

Code:
 10975 | Lair:8   | Killed a death yak
 11097 | D:10     | Learned a level 6 spell: Deflect Missiles

122 turns from L:8 back to dungeon!

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 11:46

Why do you play 0.17 and not any newer version? Do you think this turncount is impossible in newer versions?

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 12:13

It's unlikely to get a score like this in newer versions, right. We had a recent discussion if 0.16 or 0.17 was better for speedruns (as control teleport was available in 0.16) but probably 0.17 is the best version.

A ring of teleportation saves a lot of turns if you can activate it. This was possible up to 0.17.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 15:50

chequers wrote:Why do you play 0.17 and not any newer version? Do you think this turncount is impossible in newer versions?

Code:
 Abil: Evoke Teleportati |       |     1 |     7 |     2 |    17 |     7 |    14 |    96 |   119 ||   263

Also minor stuff like statue form melee being affected by strength, tomb with stairs, neither -cTele in Hell endings and Zot:5 nor Orb status in all of Zot, rMsl and more.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 15:56

Re:

Turukano wrote:It's unlikely to get a score like this in newer versions, right. We had a recent discussion if 0.16 or 0.17 was better for speedruns (as control teleport was available in 0.16) but probably 0.17 is the best version.

A ring of teleportation saves a lot of turns if you can activate it. This was possible up to 0.17.

0.16 has -cTele floors, so the controlled teleports are only useful for backtracking, Pan and V:5. Also shadow traps.

I also wonder about this run's floor order. Wouldn't D:12/13 -> maybe Orc:$ -> Lair:8 -> all 3 lair branches -> (...) be faster in general? There's quite a lot of backtracking here.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 16:10

Backtracking doesn't take as huge amount of time as some people think. Full run from Zot:5 to D:1 exit with no digging, blinks, teleports and PoG, and with a bit of fighting along the way, takes less than 1k turns. With digging, PoG and so on, having to traverse only several levels, will take significantly less time. Sometimes it's worth to stop and think whether hacking through tough enemies with a bad gear and/or insufficient consumables won't take more time than diving elsewhere first for a good gear and coming back to have an easier time. I imagine that was the reasoning behind Shoals.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 21:54

chequers wrote:Why do you play 0.17 and not any newer version? Do you think this turncount is impossible in newer versions?

Both versions have its cons and pros. 0.17 has unlimited tele spam, no -cTele status, stronger VS start... while trunk gives you interesting mutation gamble possibilites and faster abys.
Probably 0.17 gives you a better chance of doing a sub 20k run, which doesnt mean it is impossible on latest version. PurpleRed proved that post 0.17 speedrunning is still possible, if a Deep Elf, which is amongst the weakest species in game, can take it sub 20k then VS could make it much faster, even despite the lack of Zot 5 PoG trick and infinite PoG spam on certain levels.

For this message the author Charly has received thanks:
chequers

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 22:04

Re: Re:

stickyfingers wrote:
Turukano wrote:It's unlikely to get a score like this in newer versions, right. We had a recent discussion if 0.16 or 0.17 was better for speedruns (as control teleport was available in 0.16) but probably 0.17 is the best version.

0.16 has -cTele floors, so the controlled teleports are only useful for backtracking, Pan and V:5. Also shadow traps.

I also wonder about this run's floor order. Wouldn't D:12/13 -> maybe Orc:$ -> Lair:8 -> all 3 lair branches -> (...) be faster in general? There's quite a lot of backtracking here.

In general you skip Orcs on ultra fast speedruns(unless accidentaly explored, then you just go in to check for Portals). On this run I was very close to giving up after Lair, was too weak to tackle Snakes or Shoals comfortably so went down the Dungeon in hope of finding some game changeing loot, which unfortunately did not happen. This is probably where I wasted most turns.

For this message the author Charly has received thanks:
stickyfingers

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too