tiny level

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 2nd July 2017, 12:05

tiny level

In my current game, the picture below shows you dungeon level 11 in its enirety. Yes, I have mapped the level, not believing what I saw with three upstairs and downstairs in this small space.
Has anyone ever seen anything like this? How is one supposed to gain experience on levels like this?
  Code:
######
#...!##
#.^.>.#
#..<..#
#.....#
#[....#
#.....#
#..|>.#
#....[#
#...@.#
#..[[[#
#.[.[.#
#.....#
#..(..#
#.....#
#.....#
#...>.#
#.<<[.#
#######
Maɟaŋ

For this message the author Majang has received thanks: 2
Fingolfin, Lord Haart

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 2nd July 2017, 17:42

Re: tiny level

I've seen one or two quite underpopulated levels sometimes (often around D:11-D:14 or Depths:2-4ish?). And occasionally a rather small map...

But this is pretty dramatic, if that's really all there is.

I wonder, is the overall amount of XP in the game roughly fixed and the mobs that might be there are actually deployed as more HD somewhere else (maybe in a big vault on another level, I dunno)? Or is it more random than that overall?
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 2nd July 2017, 18:06

stoneychips wrote:I've seen one or two quite underpopulated levels sometimes (often around D:11-D:14 or Depths:2-4ish?). And occasionally a rather small map...

But this is pretty dramatic, if that's really all there is.

I wonder, is the overall amount of XP in the game roughly fixed and the mobs that might be there are actually deployed as more HD somewhere else (maybe in a big vault on another level, I dunno)? Or is it more random than that overall?

No idea. I can't exactly remember what it was that I fought on these 84 tiles, but the quality of the defendants certainly did not make up for the ridiculous numbers. So certainly there can't be anything like a predetermined amount of HD for each level. Also the levels around it did not strike me as abnormally crowded. After all, I am still alive with my DsCj, and I tend to lose them rather fast, as I said elsewhere.
Maɟaŋ

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 2nd July 2017, 18:46

Feature request: make all levels like this!

For this message the author Airwolf has received thanks:
duvessa

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 2nd July 2017, 18:54

Airwolf wrote:Feature request: make all levels like this!

Linesprint does it better.

For this message the author Lord Haart has received thanks:
stoneychips

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 2nd July 2017, 18:55

On most levels, the game tries to generate 3d10 monsters. Pan gets random2avg(28,3) instead, Crypt gets 3d8 instead, and Hells get 3d10+3d8. The monster generator function can create MONS_NO_MONSTER. So the game might try to generate 15 monsters but really only generate 13. Remember that random monster spawns continue to occur while you're on the level, so you're going to fight more monsters than just the ones that initially generated.
For items, if absdepth > 5 and a 1/(500-5*absdepth) chance succeeds, the game generates 10+random2avg(90, 2) items. Otherwise it generates 3+3d11 items.
None of this depends on previous levels.
Vaults will create more monsters and items on top of this.

As for the overall XP in the game, it depends on your definition of "roughly fixed". Owing to the central limit theorem and the sheer length of the game, the total amount of XP in the game is very close to normally distributed, but there is no deliberate mechanism in DCSS to ensure a certain amount of XP.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 5
ichbins, Majang, nago, stoneychips, Turukano

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 2nd July 2017, 19:13

Judging from the equipment lying around on the floor, I killed at least 16 monsters on that level (no new ones have spawned since my first visit, though). This tallies with what you write about the 3d10 monsters per floor. So not the experience, but only the size of the level was extraordinary.
Maɟaŋ

For this message the author Majang has received thanks:
stoneychips

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 3rd July 2017, 08:38

duvessa wrote:On most levels, the game tries to generate 3d10 monsters.
[...]
Otherwise [the game] generates 3+3d11 items.

I've played this game for so many years and there's still a lot I can learn about it. I didn't know how monster/item generation worked. Thanks!

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too