Post Saturday, 20th May 2017, 14:44

YAVP - BaCK, 11 runes, Xom forever

I decided to do something unusual and play online for a change, and what do you know, my first attempt is a win! I was hoping to go for 15 runes, but only got 11 since I ran out of consumables in Dis. Still, I'm quite pleased. Xom was very generous this game: not only did he hook me up with a bunch of good mutations (rarely giving me anything bad), as well as two rings, he single-handedly secured me one of my runes: I was trying to kill Cerebov with needles of paralysis but none of them hit, then suddenly, Xom decided it'd be fun to confuse him, at which point he fell into the lava!

Barachi seems like a pretty strong race to me, or at least that was my impression based on this game. The 1.2 aut movement speed worried me a bit, but it really wasn't all that punishing. Most of the pre-extended content wasn't very threatening. I got a very nice endgame weapon in Vaults. Pandemonium was moderately hard, with some tense situations in Gloorx Vloq's realm, but Lom Lobon fell easily, as did Mnoleg, thanks to the antimagic sword - and you know about Cerebov already.

Then I dipped into Hell with ~5 scrolls of teleportation and blinking, respectively. I had an absolutely terrible time in Dis and after having to teleport around in a while, I ended up appearing next to the iron rune with Dispater on the edge of my LOS. I had to quickly grab the rune and teleport out, being around 60 HP, and then was dumped into another bunch of monsters - basically, all my teles were gone and I had to burn through all but one of my blinking scrolls too to escape. So, at 11 runes, I decided to go for a zig run to try and get more consumables. I did get the fencer's gloves in there, but aside from that, it turned out to be pretty bad, with a super-fast, hasted pan lord teaming up with an ice fiend and other monsters to chase me around, so I even had to use up my last blinking scroll there (with potions of heal wounds on the side) to escape. Well, at that point I decided to give up on doing 15 runes, which was mildly disappointing but, at the same time, also a relief - I wasn't sure how to do the new, super-scary Tomb with this character (I did learn Statue Form, but that was the best I got).

I did find some consumables in Zot, as well as a book of the Warp for cBlink, but since I didn't really have time to train it up, I just went for the orb run instead, which was not very hard by this point. Still pretty happy about this one - maybe I'll try another Xom-only CK for "15 runes or die trying" another time.

http://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/Ma ... 141659.txt

(Is it normal that the win doesn't yet show up on my profile?)
If I play online, I do so under the screenname Marenglen.

For this message the author Malevolent has received thanks: 2
Queen Cassie, ThreeInvisibleDucks