Best approach to escape this pickle?

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 12th May 2017, 22:29

Best approach to escape this pickle?

This DEFE of Vehumet is my first character that can cast firestorm, and I've been celebrating by making a little too much noise. I cast it 4 times to kill an orb of fire, then ran into another one while retreating and teleported into a batch of enemies near the Orb Chamber. I'm down to 92 HP and 11MP, but I've got lots of evokables, wands, potions, and scrolls.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... jorda2.txt

Should I try to survive long enough to teleport to a safer location? I have explored and cleared all of Z5 that isn't in the Orb Vault. I've cleared the areas around the stairs on Z4 and Z3.

Or should I go ahead and try to grab the orb before teleporting? Is it even possible to teleport with the orb these days? Is it random in Zot, or is it extra likely to land me in a dangerous part of the level?

Should I start with haste, evokables, a big spell, potions of magic, or what?

Any good ideas?

Thanks.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 6.28.09 PM.png
Screen Shot of Z5, surrounded and low on MP
Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 6.28.09 PM.png (405.7 KiB) Viewed 3150 times

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 12th May 2017, 22:49

Re: Best approach to escape this pickle?

Yikes. Teleport works normally. However if you tried to get the Orb you'll get delayed teleport just like in Abyss.

Grabbing the orb would be possible with apportation. I'd however not recommend it.

Yes, haste up. Always haste up before you teleport in Z:5! You have a high chance to surive until you get net positive time. The ancient lich is dangerous (why dont you have a buckler?)

Teleporting, then moving north-west should work. You have however about 50% chance to land in the orb chambers again; it might be that running out is better. Fog is a great friend right now.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th May 2017, 22:51

It is possible to teleport with the orb, but you're at least 10 spaces away from the orb and there's orb guardians in the way, so trying to haste and run through them sounds like a terrible idea to me. I'd probably read teleport first, then quaff haste, and then either try to move away from monsters or use other consumables such as fog, fear (I think orb guardians can be feared? The lich might be immune? not sure), or heal wounds. Quaffing agility is probably a good idea too.

Picking up the orb would delay teleports, but once they do occur I think they're the same. Your teleport isn't going to be certain to land you in safety, so keep your hp as high as possible while waiting for the teleport to happen. It'd also be helpful to know roughly what % of the floor is cleared, but I'm assuming you've cleared all of the non-orb chamber floor, so you should have a decent chance to get back to safety.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 12th May 2017, 23:07

Orb guardians can in theory be Feared, but have high MR of 120 vs according to wiki spellpower of ?fear of 200. Not pointless to try. The aLich is, as all undead, immune.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 12th May 2017, 23:50

I don't have a buckler because I might need to melee something elec resistant with my lajatang!

The teleport to get here was delayed. I guess that's a fairly recent change in trunk?

I don't think fog will help much because I cast Ring of Fire to increase my rF against the last Orb of Fire. I might not really know how the two interact- I'm assuming the scroll will fail to place fog clouds where the fire clouds are.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 13th May 2017, 00:19

I gave it a shot. Fear got the orb guardians moving east, and the first teleport moved me a bit to the west. I used Bolt of Cold to pick off a draconian and the one pursuing Orb Guardian, then used fog when Ring of Flames expired to keep the Ancient Litch from seeing me for a bit.

The second teleport put me just out of range of the Orb of Fire I was running from. I used wands to get rid of an Orb Guardian and a Killer Clown.

Another Ancient Litch and the Orb of Fire wandered near while I waited for the third teleport. Quicksilver Dragon Breath repeatedly knocked out my Teleport status and eventually did me in.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 13th May 2017, 18:22

And thats why I recommended walking/running out. A hasted char is faster than Orb of fire, you should have run after the second teleport.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 15th May 2017, 22:41

I believe a hasted character is equal* in speed to an orb of fire - you can run away from one with haste, but don't expect to increase your distance from it, so you might take some shots as it's getting further back in your LOS, or if it's already at max range, you could take a hit or two while going up the stairs (assuming this is your end escape plan).

*(minus some technicalities about rounding the number of auts for you to move, energy randomization, etc.)

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 2nd June 2017, 21:23

I don't really get this. the Orb level is just like any other - you can clear it out first bit by bit, then pick up the loot with less harassment. It just has a fancy bit of loot in it.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too