CIP DEFE Veh looking forward on spells

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 8th January 2017, 18:50

CIP DEFE Veh looking forward on spells

This is my first post for advice. I hope I have attached the dump correctly. Please advise on that if it should be different. Note V.18 Consol, offline.

So, It is pretty strait forward DEFE^Veh. Spellcasting, Conj, Fire to 10, now working on defences. A reasonable artifact weapon. I haven't even finished lair/or D15 (usually I do D down until I am uncomfortable or D15 is clear before lair).

I have a bunch of books available:
book of Flames.
book of Power.
Necronomicon.
book of the Sky.
book of the Tempests

and decent spells already
a - Conjure Flame
b - Sandblast
c - Fireball
d - Stone Arrow
p - Inner Flame
s - Sticky Flame
x - Throw Flame
z - Flame Tongue

Sandblast is moot, I grabbed it for fire resistant things, and the same for Stone Arrow (though, stone arrow is at least reasonable).

I just need advice on which of these spells I should be planning for? Not withstanding whatever Veh might still offer me. I feel that the books provide a ton of Conj/damage spells and that Veh won't offer anything that I might otherwise want other than maybe Firestorm. But I don't know which of these available spells are better, and what to aim for.
I know I need a higher level non-fire spell. There are a bunch.
I have no air, but Deflect missiles is there, which suggests airstrike might be worth considering.

Basically, I guess the main question is - do I add Earth or Air to my damage spells? Having access to many mid range damage spells in those elements as well as Shatter and Tornado if things look like a l9 spell will work out. Do I just lean on the pure conj spells for non-fire damage?

Also, I have never used Spellforged Servitor, and am interested in trying that. Does that change the analysis?

Lastly, having the necronomicon, should I plan to get those really good spells? I have no experience with any of them besides Haunt (many many versions ago)(Been playing since, I dunno, V.9 or earlier?). I have no low level Necro spells, but assume I will pick up regen/sublimation once available.

I know it is early to worry about the next spells. And defences are my current aims. It is not that I am assuming things will work out in a specific direction. But I would really like to see the thought process on which way to go at this fork of spell choices (or other thoughts on the matter).

Please and thank you. All other advice is welcome/desired.
Attachments
Ulam.txt
(13.7 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

For this message the author Juxtapoisson has received thanks:
NhorianScum

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 8th January 2017, 19:10

Re: CIP DEFE Veh looking forward on spells

If veh give fire storm:
Congrats. Now all you have to do to win this game is just raise splcast/conj/fire to 18/22/22.

If veh don't give and you failed to find book of annihilations:
Sorry, your RNG sucked. Here's the second option:
Learn spellforged servitor and prepare OOD+LCS. Put some points to summoning/earth.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too