[CiP] DrMo with a mission given by god (Veh)

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 16:47

[CiP] DrMo with a mission given by god (Veh)

I know, it's a sign: I joined the army of Vehumet, even if I was a Monk, and he bestowed me with....
Jyhad (the sword).
Do you think shall I use it? I've already skilled Long Blade to 11, I destroy things but I know, the *Rage will bring me to death, it's true? You confirm? Shall I dump it for another blade?
Thanks ^^

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 16:59

Re: [CiP] DrMo with a mission given by god (Veh)

It's pretty hard to die while berserk.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 19:55

NhorianScum wrote:It's pretty hard to die while berserk.

Berserk is among primary reasons of death of powerful characters. It is hard to die when you have scrolls of blinking in inventory... unless you are berserking.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 20:58

thats what I was thinking. Berserker at the wrong time and bye bye toon.
But it's so fascinating to walk around with a +10 blade....
What shall I do? WHAT SHALL I DO? GOD SPEAK TO ME, YOU SENT ME THIS SWORD, IS THAT A SENTENCE OF DEATH?!?!?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th November 2016, 00:36

torrenera wrote:thats what I was thinking. Berserker at the wrong time and bye bye toon.
What shall I do? WHAT SHALL I DO? GOD SPEAK TO ME, YOU SENT ME THIS SWORD, IS THAT A SENTENCE OF DEATH?!?!?

Well so *berserk on a weapon triggers when you hit something with it, if you don't want to berserk, don't hit them with that sword, use a different one, or a spell or something.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th November 2016, 00:55

Siegurt wrote:Well so *berserk on a weapon triggers when you hit something with it, if you don't want to berserk, don't hit them with that sword, use a different one, or a spell or something.

What's the point of wielding a weapon with berserk if you cannot attack with it? It's not like it increases spell power or gives defense.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th November 2016, 00:57

VeryAngryFelid wrote:
Siegurt wrote:Well so *berserk on a weapon triggers when you hit something with it, if you don't want to berserk, don't hit them with that sword, use a different one, or a spell or something.

What's the point of wielding a weapon with berserk if you cannot attack with it? It's not like it increases spell power or gives defense.

You can attack with it, just not when going berserk would be a problem.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th November 2016, 00:59

Siegurt wrote:You can attack with it, just not when going berserk would be a problem.

It should not be a default weapon, personally I would inscribe it with "!a". It is last resort weapon actually, when there are no other options. As you can miss with all 5+ berserking attacks and then die horribly.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 30th November 2016, 01:08

Jihad is an extremely overrated weapon unless you have clarity.
Brand of holy wrath is only efficient for extended games, but berserkitis is a great death trap there.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

For this message the author papilio has received thanks: 3
nago, Sar, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th November 2016, 02:30

VeryAngryFelid wrote:
Siegurt wrote:You can attack with it, just not when going berserk would be a problem.

It should not be a default weapon, personally I would inscribe it with "!a". It is last resort weapon actually, when there are no other options. As you can miss with all 5+ berserking attacks and then die horribly.

Why would you die horribly? If you are attacking only when it isn't dangerous to berserk, obviously you shouldn't die if you dont kill something before the berserk runs out, or you just estimated badly.

If you would die horribly if you missed all your attacks, then obviously that was a situation where it was dangerous to berserk...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th November 2016, 03:17

Siegurt wrote:Why would you die horribly? If you are attacking only when it isn't dangerous to berserk, obviously you shouldn't die if you dont kill something before the berserk runs out, or you just estimated badly.

1) How do you know when it is dangerous to berserk? Are you sure there is no Mennas around next corner coming to you or just Hydra waiting on previous floor near stairs?
2) It is very bad weapon vs popcorn (you don't want to get slowed after fighting popcorn, right?). It is bad weapon vs average monster because with some bad luck the monsters will survive and you will get paralyzed/slowed. It is ok weapon vs very dangerous monster, though in this case I would quaff berserk instead. As I wrote before, it is last option when nothing else can be done.

If you would die horribly if you missed all your attacks, then obviously that was a situation where it was dangerous to berserk...

That's the problem with berserk. If you are in danger, you cannot berserk because it will get you killed. If you are not in danger, why would you risk to get slowed/paralyzed? Just fight carefully and retreat if needed.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 30th November 2016, 08:28

and eventually I died horribly ^^

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th November 2016, 09:30

VeryAngryFelid wrote:It's not like it increases spell power or gives defense.

Actually it does give defense! +3 EV and rN+, whoa!

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 30th November 2016, 10:04

torrenera wrote:thats what I was thinking. Berserker at the wrong time and bye bye toon.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but *berserk doesn't trigger off ripostes right?

Really though, it was a mandate for you to switch to TSO later on and lead a proper crusade instead of trying to one-man Jihad. Even then, you still wouldn't swing with it in dangerous situations.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 30th November 2016, 10:18

Now I understand why I died. It was TSO that called me and I answered instead to Veh.
I deserved to be electrocuted by an horrible thing on level 12 of the Dungeon.
Now I'll burn in hell, my white scales endlessly melting.
Hail to TSO.
Hail to the angel guard.
(and thank you all for spending time answering me ^^)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th November 2016, 15:50

Sar wrote:
VeryAngryFelid wrote:It's not like it increases spell power or gives defense.

Actually it does give defense! +3 EV and rN+, whoa!

Nice sky weapon then.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too