After 3000 online games, first victory!

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

So now I've won, and I need a new goal

Start a new CAO account (jejorda3? That would be silly.) and try to get another win in less than 3k games.
8%
Get off the awful players list by raising the win rate above 1%. The quickest way to do this would be a 31 game win streak.
18%
Learn and beat another roguelike, probably Angband or ADOM.
3%
Clean up the mess around the house.
61%
Try to get to Temple with skills in automatic mode instead of manual
3%
Another suggestion, listed below
8%

Total votes : 38

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2011, 01:10

After 3000 online games, first victory!

So, I'm an awful player. I've been playing roguelikes without any success since 1996, and I began crawl attempts in 2007. I have 2999 losses on CAO and CDO.

Now I have one win, a three-runer with a SEEE. It's the first time I've seen the orb. It's the first game that I've cast crystal spear, and my first game for shatter, and my first using a staff of earth in melee with appropriate skills. Shatter wasn't very useful where I tried it in Vault 8, Shoals, and Zot because so many of the tough things fly there. LCS is effective, but it's dull compared to ice storm, tornado, and orb of destruction.

I got down to 1HP from ~200 while running away from an orb of fire with a draconian retinue just before finding the orb. I used passwall to get to safety and was blasted a bit during the merging.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2011, 02:02

Re: After 3000 online games, first victory!

Good work! I'm going to have to go with the final poll option, though. Don't worry about your statistics, and just keep playing. I'm sure your next win will come much more quickly than the first one. You'll probably even be able to go 15 Runes on your second win. Ultimately, none of the 2,999 losses matter now that you've got that first win.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2011, 07:17

Some of the best players are awful players 8)

(For varying values of 'best', obviously.)

[edit: I fully intend to be an awful player when I qualify!]
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2011, 14:48

Cheers on the win! Tbh just keep playing, stats are only numbers :).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2011, 17:00

Congratulations, and let us know when that mess is cleaned up.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 27th July 2011, 13:04

Win with a different race or class

Perhaps as a Tm - as you have over 500 attempts at that class in all.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/jejorda2.html
A troll caster is a hybrid

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 27th July 2011, 13:17

and yet no attempts at an OgWn!
this calls for a challenge.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 7th March 2015, 14:10

Win #2 is a VSBe!

Personal best score.
3471 games between wins, which means I'm slowing down. But 326 fewer days between wins (counting from first offline game), so maybe I'm speeding up.

If Vine Stalker is easy enough for me to win, perhaps it should be removed like Sludge Elf.

In this game, I never found a ring of protection from fire, so I raised long blades to minimum delay in Depths 3-5 with starting base skill 0 and a manual so I could use an artefact double sword with rF+. But the quick blade of freezing and the bite were enough for the 4 orbs of fire I encountered, so I never attacked with the double sword.

I saw (and defeated) the Enchantress for the first time in 6471 online games.

The closest call was in a bailey. After using halfway sound tactics to take out orc knights, I went unbuffed solo against a single orc warrior and fell to 2 hp. Behind that guy was a +2 crystal plate and a shield of MR/Regen/MP+, so I abandoned stabbing at that point and never ran into much that could hurt me. A single potion of experience removed most of the shield penalty.

I probably should have listened to the tavern on the poll after the first win. I lost the house last year in a divorce that may have been caused by a perception that I spent too little time cleaning and too much time crawling. I'm not homeless and unemployed any more.

The date of the first win was July 26, 2011, and 7262011 = 191 x 193 x 197, so that's the product of three consecutive prime numbers. That won't happen again until Dec. 11, 2039. I hope to win again before then.

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks: 12
hannobal, Moanerette, rockygargoyle, Sandman25, Sar, Sprucery, tasonir, tedric, Zooty, Zwobot and 2 more users

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th March 2015, 22:07

I really have to admire the dedication in spite of a low success rate. My win rate was low enough to put me on awful players when I first started winning, but has risen enough over the years that I'm now at a :twisted: highly respectable :twisted: 1.8% winrate.

You also won in half the turncount as last time? If you keep that going, your next win at roughly 37k turns will be a very impressive speedrun, especially if you 15 rune. Putting that aside, you have a mage, followed by melee, maybe you could do ranged for your third game? I always try to recommend CeHu with bows to players looking for an easy ranged game. Default god is Okawaru, but there's plenty of flexibility if you want to take Trog, Makhleb, or just about anyone else. Just don't berserk with a bow equipped. With some practice I bet a .05% win rate is in your future! :)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 22nd June 2015, 00:09

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... 184556.txt

That one was under melee-bug, so maybe it doesn't count. Here's another VSBe win.
I think this is the first time I've had a character with the strength to wear GDA who found one early and chose to wear something else. Stealth from shadow dragon armour was noticeable in Elf and Zot, but not really in slime, crypt, tomb, or depths. At one time, I was equipping three different items that increased stealth, increased regeneration, and allowed evocable invisibility.

This was my first golden rune. Its only the second time I've made it past the sphinx pack at the beginning of tomb. Last time, I used ice storm and haunt, which summoned shadows (I think.) This time, I used javelins and an anti magic quickblade.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 22nd June 2015, 23:13

This makes me think maybe you're underestimating the importance of magic resistance? Sphinxes are not terribly threatening if you can't be paralyzed by them - your VS only has MR++, and that's entirely its natural MR (with a penalty from your MR- weapon). Did you not find any MR rings? VS gain 5 MR per level, so they should wear one MR item. I generally leave it in permanently, although swapping it when something has hexes is nearby is valid, if you're careful about it.

Also, as of today, you have exactly 6666 games played, and .06% winrate, so you're clearly satan.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 23rd June 2015, 01:40

I had Trog, so MR was kind of solved. I used an anti magic quick blade in Tomb and Crypt, and vampiric through zot, but I unwielded it at some point and went to my backup weapon during the ascension so I wouldn't have to eat.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 23rd June 2015, 08:40

3 wins in 2015 already? Gratz, that's pretty impressive after the drought of all those years.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too