CIP MiBe Extended Thoughts *Update 1st 15 Rune Win

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 05:55

CIP MiBe Extended Thoughts *Update 1st 15 Rune Win

Got my first win not long ago as DEFE and decided to win with the staple fighter. I needed to work on my movements and LOS manipulation, and I had crutched too heavily on fire storm and tornado as DEFE.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... ingo67.txt

This MiBe rolled through the first 3 runes, including Vault 5, and I just finished up Slime. Thinking I will try to keep going since I haven't been scared yet. I'm fairly well stocked with consumables. I know a switch to TSO and/or Zin is supposed to be helpful, and it seems like people generally recommend a heavier weapon than whip for extended. I also gather rN will be needed.

Any suggestions? Anything from next branch, to itemization, to god switch, to "stop while you can," is appreciated! Thanks

UPDATE: Managed to ascend with all 15! Thanks for all of the help guys. Very brief thoughts:

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... 221909.txt

My order of extended branches was: Slime > Abyss > Crypt3 > Hell (Tar, Dis, Geh, Coc) > Zig16 (got scared) > Pan > Tomb

I found Hell to be way worse than Pan overall. The lack of a real chance to heal made me nervous throughout. I thought Geh was the most difficult branch of Hell by far (although the Ice fiends at the end of Coc along with a malign gateway spawn was not pleasant), and Asmodeus was my most difficult boss fight in the game. Pan felt like a breeze afterwards. The end of tomb was pretty terrifying, but a little stair dancing and a lot of cleansing flame + fog got me through T3's drop.

Super happy to get my first 15 win, but I think melee is a little boring overall :D My next 15 will need to involve some spells and Zig27!

If anyone has any questions just let me know - my head is still swimming a bit from finishing up.
Last edited by theweezerd on Monday, 7th November 2016, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 06:00

Re: CIP MiBe Extended Thoughts

If you are going to do extended with Trog, you should train some ranged attack, preferably crossbows as it is the best vs high AC targets. That cloak is bad. Stop while you can, yes. If you really want 15 runes, switch to TSO, you have +Blink ring and good enough Evo.

Edit. If you enchant golden dragon scales, you can use robustness and slay+3 ring.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 12:50

Trog is still strong. Brothers in Arms and Trog's Hand work great.

The demon whip is good enough, but having it blessed by TSO would be ideal. (TSO hates demon whips, so you'll have to use something else while building piety until you can blessed it.)

Throwing is strong, especially javelins of penetration.

Torment hurts a lot in extended and as much rN as you can comfortably get helps reduce the damage. Scrolls of fog are great for cutting LOS when there's nothing to hide behind.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 22:00

Liberal use of cleansing flame against groups. Spam angels against every boss. Find a wand of healing and save recharge scrolls for it. Save the potions of curing for some bosses that can poison u bad.

Max invocations out first. Then I would max evocables.

Just focus on getting the runes and not map clearing.

For this message the author TonberryJam has received thanks:
theweezerd

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 7th November 2016, 00:45

Wand of hasting also important.

For this message the author arandomperson12 has received thanks:
theweezerd

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 7th November 2016, 03:12

Thanks for all of the feedback guys!

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... ingo67.txt

I'm now sitting on 7 runes and max piety with TSO (added Abyss, Tartarus, and Dis). Fortunately I got the Gold Dragon Scales just after posting last night, but I haven't seen wands of haste or healing. Airwolf you are not wrong, torment damage took some getting used to.

Using the ring Atwo just to add some intelligence - I went brainless at one point in Abyss and it was rough.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th November 2016, 14:39

Enchant the GDS and cloak.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
theweezerd

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 7th November 2016, 18:00

Looking good.

TSO helps alot with torment by giving you rN+++ and heal on kills.

Are there no javelins? Also, enchant a blowgun and try needles of paralysis or confusion on the HellPanLords: it's hilariously strong. It works especially well on the ones that heal themselves or otherwise cast obnoxious spells. EDIT: you may need to shoot 5–8 times to trigger the effect, so just keep shooting. Also, Portal Projectile is helpful if they're in a crowd or if they summon.

Brainless is sufficiently rare and nerfed these days that you can just carry a ring (or amulet or weapon or even armour if you're OK with the slowness of the swap) and swap when you get Brainless and only have a few turns affected. (Stat 0 used to insta-death...) If you have a more useful ring...

For this message the author Airwolf has received thanks:
theweezerd

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 8th November 2016, 01:12

Airwolf wrote:
Are there no javelins? Also, enchant a blowgun and try needles of paralysis or confusion on the HellPanLords: it's hilariously strong. It works especially well on the ones that heal themselves or otherwise cast obnoxious spells. EDIT: you may need to shoot 5–8 times to trigger the effect, so just keep shooting. Also, Portal Projectile is helpful if they're in a crowd or if they summon.

Javelins were surprisingly sparse - it didn't help that most of them were poison and TSO doesn't allow. I was ready to finish the game up so I didn't follow through with the blowgun strategy, but I'll keep it in mind for the future :D

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 8th November 2016, 04:57

Re: CIP MiBe Extended Thoughts *Update 1st 15 Rune Win

Congrats on the win.

Definitely try needles next time you train Throwing.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too