Instadeath q.q

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 5th November 2016, 20:26

Instadeath q.q

Yesterday, I went down a set of stairs in the Lair while full life at 14 AC. Rupert hit me for at least 75 damage. I let it slide since I at least had 3HP left, but still. Not much I could do after that.I suck big time at this game, so I wouldn't usually complain. However, now I just got literally one-shotted by a single ettin after I've climbed a set of stair in the orc mines. I wasn't super tanky, but still. I was about full life 83~89hp with spirit shield and 11 AC.

It seems the Ettin got to hit me 3 times? Does that mean he got two turns? I'm pretty sure I wasn't slowed or anything. Maybe I don't understand how it works. Sometimes enemies can hit me before I get to climb the stairs. Can enemies also get double turns after I descend?

I know having enemies jump on you when you descend stairs is part of the fun, but in the Ettin case it was definitely not fun. I was rather strong, the game was going well and boom. Death by climbing stairs, couldn't even attempt to save my poor life. I know I deserve some of the blame. I could have been higher level. However I was a DsBe. I assume this could happen even to a level 20 Spriggan or Octopode.

https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/cele ... 193824.txt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 5th November 2016, 22:02

Re: Instadeath q.q

The first time you descend to a new level, you get the first action there, guaranteed. But when you go to the same level again, the monsters may act before you. So basically the thing is, if you know that there are some dangerous monsters waiting near the stairs on the other level, don't use the stairs. Use some other stairs (can be risky too of course), or buff yourself enough before using the stairs, or go somewhere else.

When you use stairs, you spend something like 10 aut on the current level and 13 or 14 aut on the level you enter. (IIRC, someone correct me if these numbers are wrong.)

e: Just for the future, you should have identified some potions with the Id scroll and also read-id'd the stacks of scrolls. Why were you wielding a trident with only Axes trained? Why did you have a ring of wizardry on?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 5th November 2016, 23:16

I did not know there was a dangerous monster near the stairs. Until then I was doing the one-shotting! I don't think I'd have assumed the ettin to be this strong either...

I was wearing the trident because it's +9 and Pierce. It was doing more damage than my axes. I'm 10 in Axes, but it crosstrained to 6 or so in polearms. I do use my ID scrolls to identify other things, but I don't always think of it right away. Is read-IDing always good? As for the ring of wizardry, I just didn't bother to remove it. I didn't have any other rings that I wanted to wear.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 00:04

Ettins hit very hard. 2x attack per round, up to 45 damage each without taking weapon damage into account. AC 11 isn't going to stand up particularly well vs ettins.

Looking at the morgue, I think you were just unlucky. Unlucky to have an ettin near the stairs where you came up, unlucky for it to get a double move on you, unlucky for it to roll for high damage twice (note the exclamation points). You were actually hit 4 times, not 3.

I would suggest though doing Lair before Orc. Orc can be deceptive, since it's filled with weak enemies but has the occasional nasty that can ruin your day in a hurry.

For this message the author DracheReborn has received thanks:
mibert

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 11:55

DracheReborn wrote:...unlucky for it to get a double move on you, ...

Was it random energy?

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 12:19

mibert wrote:
DracheReborn wrote:...unlucky for it to get a double move on you, ...

Was it random energy?

Stairs take longer than a turn. I think it's 1.5, though Sprucery said it's 1.3 or 1.4. I think it won't always result in a double move for an adjacent enemy, but I'm also a little unclear on how monster delay works.

I assume it's because of Orc's disconnected map, so OP had to re-enter Orc:1 at a new stair.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 15:52

Player, wearing light armor, skips Lair and goes directly to Orc, ascends stairs - ONESHOT. Many such cases!
remove food

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too