YASD: Death by Groundhog Day

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2016, 03:05

YASD: Death by Groundhog Day

I was almost done clearing L:$ and real proud of myself for playing so carefully with a squishy TeAE for once, and then the game crashed. On reload I was back at the stairs, the level unexplored. At first I was giggling at how deterministic autoexplore is, as it took me on the exact same routes as before. I excluded the same monsters, then began carefully engaging them in the same order as before. I was repeating a fight that I'd easily won a few minutes before, when finally the RNG kicked in and things started going poorly. A few turns later I found myself petrifying while trying to climb a staircase in the midst of the largest dream sheep herd I've ever seen.

I know I made worse decisions the second time around, but I really feel cheated out of my successful first run through that floor.

THANKS TRUNK
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

For this message the author tedric has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2016, 06:58

Re: YASD: Death by Groundhog Day

I bet devs are tired of trying to find good ways to make the game harder so instead they decided to sometimes just force the player to play some levels again. This will surely increase the overall death rate!
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 4
BabyRage, Cimanyd, Sar, tedric

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2016, 15:16

Bad rolls happen, and trunk isn't exactly the most stable version of the game.

Better luck next time.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2016, 15:31

DraconicPenguin wrote:Bad rolls happen, and trunk isn't exactly the most stable version of the game.

Better luck next time.

Trunk is pretty stable, though. You should run into crashes rarely, if at all. If it were crashing all the time, we couldn't get players to play it (I wouldn't play it either). I'd rather we not put "hey, the game crashes sometimes, deal with it" on the same level as "hey, there's a gnoll pack on D:1 sometimes, deal with it".

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2016, 15:37

For the record I thanked OP because I am really grateful to those players who play trunk. I am a coward and play just stable unless I have no choice (i.e. want to try something new). Losing a character to a gnoll on D:1 is quite different from losing a character to Howl in Hell or hundreds of Draconians on D:27.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too