3 steps to 15rune wins w/ all species, backgrounds, gods

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 18th September 2016, 11:20

3 steps to 15rune wins w/ all species, backgrounds, gods

Hello! My aim is make 15 rune with all species/backgrounds/gods/weapon classes.
(Winning gods are counted only if the character worshipped no other god throughout the game.)

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

This is my progress so far. For now, undone pieces are:

Species : Centaur, Mummy
Backgrounds : Necromancer
Gods : Beogh, Fedhas
Weapon classes : Bows

So, only three steps left to be done!

1. Centaur Hunter of Fedhas
2. Mummy Necromancer of Kiku
3. Hill Orc Fighter of Beogh

None of them are easy... but also none of them are so-extremely-difficult.

I think I can do all of them before October. Yay!
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

For this message the author papilio has received thanks: 3
CypherZel, nublet, Sprucery

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2016, 07:53

Re: 3 steps to 15rune wins w/ all species, backgrounds, gods

That's interesting - in fact, that's much like what I also want to do, except without the 15-rune requirement. Can you keep us updated?

I'm pretty confident that the mummy will be more than doable - I don't get why they have such a bad reputation, sure, the lack of potions sucks, but there are so many early game threats that don't really matter to you - adders, grinder, and the like, and they probably actually shine in extended, with torment not being an issue at all. Actually, with kiku, you are the one wreaking torment on some poor souls :twisted:

In contrast, the orc and centaur look much harder to get into extended, by gut feeling. Hell, with Beogh, I remember my orc buddies being torn apart by freaking soul eaters.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2016, 12:48

Grinder is still very dangerous to mummy, mummy is not immune to paralysis.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 2
nago, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2016, 13:48

The orc and centaur are still an orc and a centaur, so very easy compared to other characters, no matter how awful their god is (I mean Beogh, obviously not Fedhas, centaur of Fedhas doesn't sound hard in extended either).

Pan has demonspawn corpses for Fedhas piety and if you start hells/tomb with a decent amount it should last long enough. Oklobs will still be good. Beogh's orcs will become weak, of course, but if the character has good melee, heavy armour and some charms/tloc extended won't be a problem either.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2016, 14:07

nublet wrote:I don't get why they have such a bad reputation, sure, the lack of potions sucks, but there are so many early game threats that don't really matter to you - adders, grinder, and the like, and they probably actually shine in extended, with torment not being an issue at all.

Heck, I'd fear kinda more the common orc wizards and their confusion and puff of flames rather than an unique who appears like 1 game on 10 and likes to blink away.
And adders are extremely scary even with poison immunity. I'm quite sure more of my char have die to them just for plain damage than pois, and I've lost a good bunch of rpois\poison immune to them anyway.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2016, 14:29

Mummies have easier time vs poisonous monsters indeed, no surprise here. But lack of potions and bad aptitudes in almost anything means you are more likely to die to standard monsters like gnoll or orc wizard like nago wrote above (even without confusion and fire attacks). Also you cannot use Trog/Fedhas for easy early game. In extended mummy is very easy indeed (not as hilariously easy as ghoul though).

By the way I remember some Asian (Korean probably?) guys were speedrunning with Beogh and obtaining amazing results (much better than with TSO, for example).
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2016, 14:43

True, I guess, but when it's early enough that orc wizards are dangerous, you often don't have a potion of curing to fix it either.
I had the impression (maybe misled, I don't know) that grinder is much much less bad if she (what's with all the transgender uniques by the way) just paralyzes you and doesn't spam pain - Indeed Grinder's melee, is, if I understand the stats that I'm looking at right now, about as bad as that of an orc with a whip - it's the pain brand that stings.
About adders, admittedly I haven't played many poison immune characters yet, but I believe I haven't lost a single one of them to adders so far - while to the poor fleshbags they're one of the worst early threats, if not the very worst.

I admit it's mostly anecdotal, though, is there a way to get statistics? (i.e. % causes of death for each species)

P.S: I feel adders are particularly bad because you can rarely retreat from them. You just have to fight it out and hope for the best.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2016, 20:00

Mummies are mostly hard do to horrible apts including the EXP apt. They do shine in extended but getting them there is a chore.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2016, 08:12

nublet wrote:True, I guess, but when it's early enough that orc wizards are dangerous, you often don't have a potion of curing to fix it either.
I had the impression (maybe misled, I don't know) that grinder is much much less bad if she (what's with all the transgender uniques by the way) just paralyzes you and doesn't spam pain - Indeed Grinder's melee, is, if I understand the stats that I'm looking at right now, about as bad as that of an orc with a whip - it's the pain brand that stings.
About adders, admittedly I haven't played many poison immune characters yet, but I believe I haven't lost a single one of them to adders so far - while to the poor fleshbags they're one of the worst early threats, if not the very worst.

I admit it's mostly anecdotal, though, is there a way to get statistics? (i.e. % causes of death for each species)

P.S: I feel adders are particularly bad because you can rarely retreat from them. You just have to fight it out and hope for the best.

Go to ##crawl, the query you want for causes of death is lg * <species abbreviation, e.g. mu or hu> s=killer

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
nublet

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too