how many uniques in a single level??

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 15:37

how many uniques in a single level??

Hi tavern,
i've tried a few games as OpEe^Dith after my defaulty SpWr, amazingly funny!!
My last one was the best promising (died as 15' in my offline overall ranklist). I just claim an unfair death because in d:14 somehow i found FIVE uniques. Many enough to be kinda impossible to escape from.
I killed Rupert (couldn't avoid it)
found and escaped from Frances, Louise, Sonja
got killed by Norris

I wonder if ANY char without enough res to enter Snake, Shoals, which already cleaned Lair and anything viable on Orc would be able to survive such a situation...
:o
Here the dump.

( comments on building are welcome ofc, even if I DIDNT DIE CUZ OF IT @##@$%*(($*@ )
Attachments
morgue-1708-5-octo-20160818-075943.txt
(25.58 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 15:42

Re: how many uniques in a single level??

Op is a challenge species. Snake is doable without any resists even as pure melee (though it will take much real time to retreat and rest off poison), you had LRD and stone arrow.
I would train more Earth, less Charms and some Air.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
vergil

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 15:49

I think I killed four today - Sonya, Nessos, Erolcha and Psyche.

Code:
 26789 | D:12     | Noticed Sonja
 26795 | D:12     | Noticed Psyche
 26811 | D:12     | Killed Psyche
 26956 | D:12     | Killed Sonja
 26969 | D:12     | Noticed Erolcha
 26977 | D:12     | Killed Erolcha
 26978 | D:12     | Noticed Nessos
 30283 | D:12     | Killed Nessos

Psyche with distortion and Erolcha - thought I'll be cast in Abyss in a no time. But that didn't happened suprisingly.
I guess there's no limit on how much uniques can spawn in one level.
Online Statistics
Road to: Great Ds (6/25): DsFi^Gozag 3 R, DsGl^Qaz 4 R, DsMo^Chei 5 R, {DsHu^Uska 6 R, DsAs^Uska 7 R}, DsAr^Chei 8 R.
In progress: DsWn... Currently out of time. Maybe someday.

Watch my streams here

For this message the author vergil has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 15:56

Wow, Erolcha, Psyche and Sonja on the same level, the worst uniques for me at "Reach Lair" stage...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 16:00

My personal record is 7 uniques on a level, as described in this thread, where you can also find the percentage chances for getting a certain number of uniques. (Disclaimer: the thread is from 2.5 years ago, and I'm too lazy to check if that part of the code has changed.)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
neverEnough

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 16:47

Sandman25 wrote:Op is a challenge species. Snake is doable without any resists even as pure melee (though it will take much real time to retreat and rest off poison), you had LRD and stone arrow.
I would train more Earth, less Charms and some Air.

I started as Earth Elementalist, so earth was my first focus. But i was gettin online Deflect Missles (found Repel a lot after Deflect) and AFAIK skilling air conflicts with earth (according to the wiki), so charms looked more viable, not to mention if i would ever find regen spell to contrast poison. As u will see the last hit that got me down was an arrow with just RMSL on, Norris left me in yellow and pushed me to a group of archers.
Am i missing something?

At the time i entered snake, close to the stairs an anaconda almost got me in 2 or 3 turns, my only scroll of blink saved me from premature death. I guess i had to grow a bit more...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 16:55

Penalty for Air/Earth training has been removed several versions ago.

Yes, anacondas can be very dangerous, especially to EV-based characters. Have you tried petrifying it?

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks: 2
neverEnough, vergil

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 18:05

Sandman25 wrote:Penalty for Air/Earth training has been removed several versions ago.

OUCH! Thx for the tip!!!

Sandman25 wrote:Yes, anacondas can be very dangerous, especially to EV-based characters. Have you tried petrifying it?

I guess not, i'm always unsure what will be easy or hard to get hexed/transmuted and i take it as VERYVERY last chance when i'm in red, since i'm pretty disappointed when a buff refuses to apply. Some game mechanics are still kinda obscure to me after 6 months, long ago i tried to dig into the HD monster thing but i couldn't really understand.
AFAIK the ingame status info lack some vital references, like "how high are to be considered damages with the wielded weapon - not considering eventual monster AC/RES). I often mumble about "will this +2 dagger hit stronger than a +0 sword". Or how bad does encumbrance affect my survivability. My short experience refers to spriggans, when i meet a buckler i skill shields without wearing it till i remove ER at 7,2, since i dont know where the drawback from deflecting works. As for armours when i meet trolls or forced to use mottled i skill armours till spells are back to an acceptable level, completely ignoring when the melee dodging loss is worthy.
I guess knowing formulas is a must to play perfectly, but also a dumb number on the screen may improve understandability for newcomers.

Back in topic, same do apply to buff chances on anacondas, yaktaurs, orbs of fire. Any hint is appreciated ;)

Edit: almost forgot it, what should i skill when a high spell MUST get asap castable? I noticed INT is mandatory but it is slow to grow and a +4 int ring is a far dream. I know that Spellcasting is main skill to reduce hunger, and magic school improves strenght of the spell.
Brilliance potions are never enough ;)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 18:22

When you target Hex spells and Petrify, you can see exact chance of success in the targetter. Something like
  Code:
Aim: anaconda (67% chance)

Edit. I agree with you about numbers, unfortunately all devs disagree with us.
When you want a spell castable (no matter if high level or not), train corresponding schools. It is the most important factor for both spell power and spell failure rate.
http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Spell_failure

neverEnough

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 18:35

[quote="Sandman25"]When you target Hex spells and Petrify, you can see exact chance of success in the targetter. Something like
  Code:

Look obvious but.. does this value lower with the spell power ?
And what about when the power is maxed, will it continue lowering within char lvl, int etc?

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 18:37

neverEnough wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:When you target Hex spells and Petrify, you can see exact chance of success in the targetter. Something like
  Code:

Looks obvious but.. does this value lower with the spell power ?
And what about when the power is maxed, will it continue lowering within char lvl, int etc?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 18:37

The value is determined by just spell power and MR of the monster.

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/MR#Saving_throws

neverEnough

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too