Gozag Mummy had it made

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 3rd January 2016, 13:13

Gozag Mummy had it made

With a human Gozag seemed like an absurd god ... you turn everything to gold, it costs a fortune to get a shop, you seem bound to starve, it gives mundanish potions you can't cache... I thought, who would play it?

Then it occurred to me that mummies don't need to eat, so they can just collect the gold and put it to good use. And so my first winning character of the modern era was born.

The advantages don't stop there though. The worst curse a mummy suffers is the inability to keep potions on hand for emergencies. WELL... all of a sudden the mummy that can't drink is able to chow down three, four, five potions a turn. Why not agility AND brilliance, with a side order of haste, and you get a free dose of healing with every order! I think Gozag hired some of his employees out from McDonalds.

But it gets better. Mummies can't drink, so as one of their High Level Superpowers they get the ability to recover something or other (I don't know what, didn't try) by sacrificing a magic point permanently. In this case though you get the long term restoration as a free side effect of actually finding a difficult battle.

And bear in mind ... the loss of a few HPs temporarily is the one and only mutation effect a mummy seems to worry about. Why, I saw six cacodemons on the screen at a time, throw in a shining eye and a few neqoxecs, in one of those Pandemonium rune levels ... Maybe I had 252/252 (264) at that point, boo hoo. Had to live with that terrible curse until the next time I ran into something *dangerous*. :)

Now I shouldn't omit the relevance of the rest of the gold, confusing practically every monster, and setting up a line of shops that, set up in every other square, could have reached all the way from Dis to Tartarus, had I not put a few in the Temple first. There's definitely something to be said for an AC over 50.

For the living of course, there's the food problem, and I never saw a cure mutation or beneficial mutation potion on the menu... Gozag may not be the thing for them. But for mummies, doesn't matter what you are (heck, I think I starting this one as a wizard and fighting was the top skill until they were both maxed) - Gozag is the only sane option.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 3rd January 2016, 15:42

Re: Gozag Mummy had it made

Gozag does not serve !benmute or !curemute. Gozag is especialy good for mummies, but having won living races like humans and high elves with him he is strong even on those race. You can open potion shops with !curemute if you are not Mu. My HEGl^Gozag run had about 40 AC and 30 EV midway though lair...
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too