DD zig buster 2.0 deeper and dwarver

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 3rd January 2016, 04:22

DD zig buster 2.0 deeper and dwarver

so after my last failed attempt i decided to build a char from the ground up to bust some zigs. i wont talk about the game much before i got to pan it was typical DD stuff
  Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18-a0-971-g0af6217 (webtiles) character file.

Mibe the Talismancer (Deep Dwarf Necromancer)     Turns: 153008, Time: 17:32:55

Health: 298/298    AC: 48    Str: 23    XL:     27
Magic:  64/64      EV: 28    Int: 53    God:    Makhleb [******]
Gold:   7599       SH:  0    Dex: 14    Spells: 12 memorised, 0 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    w - +8 autumn katana {slice, Clar}
rCold  + + .      Gourm    .    x - +8 fire dragon armour
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    (no shield)
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    l - +0 Maxwell's etheric cage {RegenMP *Contam rElec MP+4}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    n - +5 cloak of Infinity {rElec Int+2}
rCorr  +          Reflect  .    O - +1 pair of gloves "Koant" {rC+ Dex+5}
SustAt +          Harm     .    B - +0 pair of boots of Muurph {rF+ Str+4}
MR     +++++      Clarity  +    i - amulet "Foruxtel" {rCorr rElec Int+6 Slay+2}
Stlth  ++++++++..               t - ring of Aku Arukk {*Contam rElec MP+9 Int+9}
                                A - ring "Aclu" {SustAt rC+ Str+4 Int+2}

@: lich-form, non-regenerating, deflect missiles, almost entirely resistant to
hostile enchantments, extraordinarily stealthy
A: damage resistance, recharge devices, repulsion field 1, yellow scales 1, see
invisible, clever 2, negative energy resistance 1, sense surroundings 3, poison
resistance, slow regeneration 3
a: Device Recharging, End Transformation, Minor Destruction, Lesser Servant of
Makhleb, Major Destruction, Greater Servant of Makhleb, Renounce Religion
}: 11/15 runes: decaying, slimy, silver, golden, abyssal, demonic, glowing,
magical, fiery, dark, gossamer

You are on level 3 of the Depths.
You worship Makhleb.
Makhleb is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

You are a lich.

You have visited 12 branches of the dungeon, and seen 61 of its levels.
You have visited Pandemonium 1 time, and seen 52 of its levels.
You have visited the Abyss 3 times.
You have completed 6 ziggurats, and seen 162 of their levels.
You have also visited: Labyrinth, Trove, Ossuary and Ice Cave.

You have collected 19616 gold pieces.
You have spent 9838 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - a +9 executioner's axe of flaming
 w - the +8 autumn katana (weapon) {slice, Clar}
   (You found it on level 10 of a ziggurat)   

It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.

It protects you against confusion.
Missiles
 d - 148 javelins of penetration (quivered)
Armour
 l - the +0 Maxwell's etheric cage (worn) {RegenMP *Contam rElec MP+4}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 10 of the Dungeon)   

It insulates you from electricity.
   It affects your magic capacity (+4).
   It causes magical contamination when unequipped.
 n - the +5 cloak of Infinity (worn) {rElec Int+2}
   (You acquired it on level 19 of a ziggurat)   

It affects your intelligence (+2).
 x - a +8 fire dragon armour (worn)
 B - the +0 pair of boots of Muurph (worn) {rF+ Str+4}
   (You found it on level 5 of the Vaults)   

It affects your strength (+4).
   It protects you from fire.
 O - the +1 pair of gloves "Koant" (worn) {rC+ Dex+5}
   (You found it on level 16 of a ziggurat)   

It affects your dexterity (+5).
   It protects you from cold.
Magical Staves
 b - an uncursed staff of energy
Jewellery
 i - the amulet "Foruxtel" (around neck) {rCorr rElec Int+6 Slay+2}
   (You found it on level 26 of a ziggurat)   

[amulet of resist corrosion]

It protects you from acid and corrosion.
   It affects your intelligence (+6).
   It affects your accuracy and damage with ranged weapons and melee attacks
   (+2).
 t - the ring of Aku Arukk (right hand) {*Contam rElec MP+9 Int+9}

[ring of magical power]

It affects your intelligence (+9).
   It affects your magic capacity (+9).
 A - the ring "Aclu" (left hand) {SustAt rC+ Str+4 Int+2}
   (You found it on level 14 of a ziggurat)   

[ring of sustain attributes]

It sustains your strength, intelligence and dexterity.
   It protects you from cold.
Wands
 c - a wand of heal wounds (6/9)
 r - a wand of hasting (7/9)
 C - a wand of teleportation (9/9)
Scrolls
 e - 19 scrolls of identify
 g - 60 scrolls of remove curse
 p - 62 scrolls of recharging
 z - 57 scrolls of magic mapping
 E - 98 scrolls of fog
 I - 57 scrolls of blinking
 K - 12 scrolls of immolation
 Y - 128 scrolls of teleportation
Potions
 f - 10 potions of agility
 h - 4 potions of cancellation
 j - 13 potions of haste
 k - 6 potions of might
 m - 41 potions of curing
 N - 11 potions of resistance
 R - 24 potions of heal wounds
 S - 7 potions of magic
 U - 18 potions of brilliance
 X - 81 potions of cure mutation
Miscellaneous
 q - a legendary deck of defence {the Elixir, drawn: 5}
 s - a legendary deck of defence {the Elixir, drawn: 2}
 v - a legendary deck of changes {Wild Magic, drawn: 3}
 H - a legendary deck of changes {the Elixir}
 V - a crystal ball of energy
 Z - a disc of storms
Comestibles
 L - 49 beef jerkies
 P - 54 meat rations

Skills:
 O Level 27 Fighting
 O Level 27 Short Blades
 O Level 27 Long Blades
 O Level 27 Axes
 O Level 27 Maces & Flails
 O Level 27 Polearms
 O Level 27 Staves
 O Level 27 Slings
 O Level 27 Bows
 O Level 27 Crossbows
 O Level 27 Throwing
 O Level 27 Armour
 O Level 27 Dodging
 O Level 27 Stealth
 O Level 27 Shields
 O Level 27 Unarmed Combat
 O Level 27 Spellcasting
 O Level 27 Conjurations
 O Level 27 Hexes
 O Level 27 Charms
 O Level 27 Summonings
 O Level 27 Necromancy
 O Level 27 Translocations
 O Level 27 Transmutations
 O Level 27 Fire Magic
 O Level 27 Ice Magic
 O Level 27 Air Magic
 O Level 27 Earth Magic
 O Level 27 Poison Magic
 O Level 27 Invocations
 O Level 27 Evocations

You cannot memorise any spells.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Death's Door          Chrm/Necr      #########.   1%          8    N/A
b - Deflect Missiles      Chrm/Air       #########.   0%          6    N/A
c - Disjunction           Tloc           #########.   1%          8    N/A
d - Lehudib's Crystal Sp  Conj/Erth      #########.   1%          8    N/A
e - Fire Storm            Conj/Fire      #########.   1%          9    N/A
f - Darkness              Hex            #########.   0%          6    N/A
g - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          0%          2    N/A
h - Summon Butterflies    Summ           ########     0%          1    N/A
i - Haste                 Chrm           ########     0%          6    N/A
j - Necromutation         Trmt/Necr      #########.   1%          8    N/A
k - Tornado               Air            #########.   1%          9    N/A
m - Glaciate              Conj/Ice       #########.   1%          9    N/A

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (15/15)            Temple (0/1) D:6            Lair (8/8) D:9
  Swamp (4/4) Lair:5       Spider (4/4) Lair:6        Slime (6/6) Lair:6
    Orc (2/2) D:10            Elf (3/3) Orc:2        Vaults (5/5) D:13
  Crypt (3/3) Vaults:2       Tomb (3/3) Crypt:3      Depths (5/5) D:15
    Zot (3/5) Depths:5   

Altars:
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Zin
Lugonu

Shops:
D:6 [   D:10 [*?   Orc:2 [*=   Elf:2 [%   Elf:3 :   Vaults:1 ?   Vaults:2 }
Vaults:4 [   Depths:1 ?   Depths:3 !

Portals:
Hell: Depths:1 Depths:2 Depths:3 Depths:4 Depths:5
Abyss: Depths:3 Depths:4
Pandemonium: Depths:3
Ziggurat: Depths:3*

Annotations:
D:4 Sigmund
D:6 gorpeater's ghost, novice FoFi
D:14 exclusions: hydra and 5 more exclusions
D:15 Louise
Lair:6 2 exclusions
Lair:7 exclusion: oklob plant
Orc:1 exclusions: redback, tarantella and 7 more exclusions
Elf:2 3 runed doors
Elf:3 exclusion: Roxanne, Roxanne
Depths:4 1 runed door, exclusion: 2 statues

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You are resistant to damage.
You can recharge devices by infusing magical energy.
You resist negative energy.
You passively map a large area around you.
You do not regenerate naturally.
You are surrounded by a mild repulsion field (EV +2).
You are partially covered in yellow scales (AC +2).
You have supernaturally acute eyesight.
Your mind is very acute. (Int +4)
Your system is resistant to poisons.

Message History

Aiming: Haste
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - you
Okay, then.
Things that are here:
39 fruits; 29 bread rations
Eat one of 39 fruits? (ye/n/q/i?)
Eat one of 29 bread rations? (ye/n/q/i?)
You continue eating.
Magic restored.
You continue eating.
You finish eating. That bread ration really hit the spot!
Casting: Haste
Confirm with . or Enter, or press ? or * to list all spells.
Your body is suffused with negative energy!
You start resting.
Magic restored.
You start waiting.
Your magical contamination has completely faded away.
Char dumped successfully.
Save game and exit?

..#####........∩∩......))#.^#.#^.
..........=...∩∩∩∩.....))####.###
..#####........∩∩......))#.^#.#^.
..#   #................))####.###
..#   #.................)#.^#.#^.
..#   #............"""..)####'###
..#   #....!?/:}...=.............
..#####....}}}..............#####
...........}%...L....[[.....#
..#####.=............[[.....##
..#   #.==...........[[......##
..#   #.[[...........[........##
..#   #........................##
..#   #.................≈≈≈≈≈...#
..#####......))))......≈≈###≈≈...
.[....[......))).......≈#####≈...
###.########.######...≈###.###≈..

Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 | 19-21 | 22-24 | 25-27 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Unarmed           |    18 |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     6 ||    24
       Dagger            |    22 |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       ||    22
       Short sword       |    37 |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       ||    37
       Mace              |       |    89 |       |       |       |       |       |       |       ||    89
       Hand axe          |       |    25 |   505 |       |       |       |       |       |       ||   530
       Battleaxe         |       |       |   160 |   147 |   463 |   110 |       |       |       ||   880
       War axe           |       |       |       |   580 |   485 |       |       |       |       ||  1065
       Broad axe         |       |       |       |       |   537 |       |       |       |       ||   537
       Executioner's axe |       |       |       |       |       |  1222 |  1466 |  1212 |  9491 || 13391
       Katana            |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   277 ||   277
       Quarterstaff      |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    46 ||    46
       Staff             |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     7 ||     7
 Fire: Blowgun           |       |       |       |    12 |       |       |       |       |       ||    12
Throw: Throwing net      |       |       |       |     1 |       |       |       |       |       ||     1
       Javelin           |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    44 ||    44
 Cast: Pain              |    53 |    33 |    17 |     7 |       |       |       |       |       ||   110
       Animate Skeleton  |    13 |    11 |    23 |    25 |    26 |    11 |    20 |    11 |     4 ||   144
       Vampiric Draining |     1 |    35 |    83 |   217 |   157 |    11 |       |     2 |       ||   506
       Animate Dead      |       |       |     8 |    31 |    58 |    60 |    61 |    35 |    14 ||   267
       Control Undead    |       |       |     2 |     1 |     3 |       |     1 |       |       ||     7
       Death Channel     |       |       |       |       |     2 |    32 |    63 |    42 |    17 ||   156
       Dispel Undead     |       |       |       |       |       |     8 |    23 |     5 |    19 ||    55
       Repel Missiles    |       |       |       |       |       |     2 |       |       |       ||     2
       Agony             |       |       |       |       |       |     4 |     1 |     3 |       ||     8
       Recall            |       |       |       |       |       |       |     7 |     1 |     1 ||     9
       Haste             |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |   244 ||   245
       Necromutation     |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   635 ||   635
       Tornado           |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   388 ||   388
       Glaciate          |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   176 ||   176
       Fire Storm        |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   133 ||   133
       Darkness          |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    87 ||    87
       Lehudib's Crystal |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    48 ||    48
       Deflect Missiles  |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    30 ||    30
       Disjunction       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    27 ||    27
       Blink             |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     3 ||     3
       Apportation       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     2 ||     2
Invok: Lesser Servant of |       |       |     2 |    11 |    14 |       |       |       |       ||    27
       Major Destruction |       |       |       |     2 |       |       |       |       |       ||     2
       Greater Servant o |       |       |       |       |     2 |     4 |       |       |       ||     6
 Abil: Device Recharging |       |       |       |     1 |       |     2 |       |       |       ||     3
       Evoke Berserk Rag |       |       |       |       |     1 |       |       |       |       ||     1
       Evoke Teleportati |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |       |       ||     1
       End Transformatio |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    61 ||    61
Evoke: Wand              |     1 |       |     5 |    16 |    26 |    27 |     5 |    11 |    88 ||   179
       Box of beasts     |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     2 |       ||     2
       Deck              |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |    41 ||    42
       Disc of storms    |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |  1880 ||  1880
       Crystal ball of e |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   352 ||   352
       Staff of energy   |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   261 ||   261
       Figurine of a zig |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     7 ||     7
  Use: Scroll            |       |       |       |    28 |    19 |    18 |    14 |    21 |   242 ||   342
       Potion            |       |       |       |     3 |     3 |    25 |     6 |     5 |    98 ||   140
 Stab: Sleeping          |     6 |     1 |     1 |     4 |     9 |       |     1 |       |       ||    22
       Distracted        |       |       |     2 |     7 |    16 |    21 |    37 |    40 |    38 ||   161
       Confused          |       |       |     1 |       |       |     5 |       |       |     3 ||     9
       Paralysed         |       |       |       |    11 |       |       |       |     7 |     1 ||    19
       Held in net/web   |       |       |       |     1 |       |       |       |       |       ||     1
       Betrayed ally     |       |       |       |       |     1 |       |       |       |       ||     1
       Invisible         |       |       |       |       |       |     7 |       |       |       ||     7
       Petrified         |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     4 ||     4
       Petrifying        |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     3 ||     3
  Eat: Chunk             |     5 |    14 |    25 |    63 |    67 |    68 |    61 |    34 |    15 ||   352
       Meat ration       |       |       |     1 |     1 |       |       |       |       |     2 ||     4
       Beef jerky        |       |       |       |     2 |       |       |       |     2 |     3 ||     7
       Pizza             |       |       |       |     5 |     6 |     1 |       |     2 |     5 ||    19
       Royal jelly       |       |       |       |     1 |       |     1 |       |     1 |    13 ||    16
       Bread ration      |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |     2 |    19 ||    22
       Fruit             |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |    11 ||    12

kills notes

6 zigs done so far, everything is going ok, ive managed to learn decent tactics to deal with chaos levels, holy levels succumb to the might of disc of storms. i finally managed to find clar on autumn katana so i can use cboe while in lich form.

however there are a few level themes that are becoming problematic and im hoping someone can give me a few tips.

1.spider level. theres a few things going on here that make it the hardest level for me forcing me to blink past one and descend to the next level.
-entropy weavers now apply a smite targeted stack of corrosion instead of entropy chant. this means im very quickly stacked up to -60 corr and beyond(even with rcorr), making all forms of physical combat worthless and setting me at 0 AC
-ghost moths drain all my mana, im not sure what i can do about it since there are 12+ in LOS at this point on opposite sides
-because of that i end up using disc of storms just to stay alive but the new enemy 'spark wasp' is completely immune to elec. since i have -60 slay and no mana i cant kill them and they quickly overwhelm makhs healing at 0 AC
-and to top it all off torpor snails constantly slow me

im considering using scrolls of immo to help with spider levels but i only have 12 of them. ive also got cloak of the thief that might be able to work, but it takes mp to activate so i dont know. the other thing im considering is to use sceptre of torment to try and make disc of storms more effective.

ive also considered bringing an invis wand but i would have to not be hasted for it to actually work which has the implication of not hasting before going downstairs in general. im not sure thats a good strategy

2.pan level, mostly because of sap magic from warmongers. im trying to block LOF but its hard with tornados and such. once you get sapped you can only cast tornado 2 more times and then maybe if you are lucky refresh lich form. this isnt nearly as problematic because disc of storms keeps you going and ive got 4 !cancel so if i need to i can quaff cancel when my lich form ends.

as always looking for any tips or comments. i want to go for 28 zigs since the record stands at 27 right now (atleast since 0.16 when megazigs were added). figurine of a ziggurat means i dont need to farm pan forever to get more zigs but it also means if you leave early you cant do any more, although you do get an extra chance from the one found in tomb:3. removal of clarity is actually a huge deal for megazigs since there are only 3 items with clar now and they are all unrands. until you find one you cant use cboe in lich form, and because mine is on a weapon i cant use wucad mu either.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 3rd January 2016, 08:50

Re: DD zig buster 2.0 deeper and dwarver

Yes, current spider levels seem worse than in the past. I guess I'd consider not hasting and using invisibility. Otherwise, you do get a few turns of haste+invisibilty before contamination knocks out invisibility: that might be enough to knock out lots of the worst monsters.

Is the clarity mutation still around? If so, I'd farm potions of beneficial mutation and Helix cards for it.

Sap magic is a problem. Try to kill them at range with spells or javelins of penetration. I remember having the impression that warmongers and dark suns get less frequent in higher Zigs.

The removal of the amulet of stasis to avoid paralysis also seems like a big problem.

Good luck!

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 4th January 2016, 09:45

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18-a0-993-g4a3b7c7 (webtiles) character file.

Mibe the Talismancer (Deep Dwarf Necromancer) Turns: 192178, Time: 1 , 00:20:04

Health: 298/298    AC: 51    Str: 18    XL:     27
Magic:  73/73      EV: 20    Int: 54    God:    Makhleb [******]
Gold:   5651       SH: 20    Dex:  9    Spells: 12 memorised, 0 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    w - +8 autumn katana {slice, Clar, !d}
rCold  + + +      Gourm    .    A - +6 chain mail of the Sunfish {rC++ Regen+ Int+8 Dex-4, !d}
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    L - +2 shield "Enureilu" {rElec rCorr SInv Stlth+, !d}
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    l - +0 Maxwell's etheric cage {RegenMP *Contam rElec MP+4, !d}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    n - +5 cloak of Infinity {rElec Int+2, !d}
rCorr  +          Reflect  .    G - +2 pair of fencer's gloves {LBl+4 SBl+4 EV+3 Dex+6, !d}
SustAt +          Harm     .    i - +2 pair of boots of the Albatross {rPois Int-5 Dex+5 SInv, !d}
MR     +++++      Clarity  +    T - macabre finger necklace {rN+}
Stlth  ++++++....               t - ring of Aku Arukk {*Contam rElec MP+9 Int+9, !d}
                                F - ring of the Three Dances {SustAt MR+ Str+3 Int+5, !d}
                                M - ring "Zirofiu" {rF+++ MP+9 Int+3 Dex-5 Stlth-, !d}

@: lich-form, empathic, darkness, very slightly contaminated, non-regenerating,
hasted, deflect missiles, very quick, almost entirely resistant to hostile
enchantments, very stealthy
A: damage resistance, recharge devices, slimy green scales 1, thin metallic
scales 1, negative energy resistance 1, sense surroundings 3, slow regeneration

You worship Makhleb.
You are not hungry.

You are a lich.

You have visited the Abyss 4 times.
You have completed 9 ziggurats, and seen 243 of their levels.

You have collected 24226 gold pieces.
You have spent 16384 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - the +6 broad axe of the Fifty Tales {chop, +Blink rElec, !d}
   (You found it on level 27 of a ziggurat)   

It lets you blink.
 w - the +8 autumn katana (weapon) {slice, Clar, !d}
   (You found it on level 10 of a ziggurat)   

Missiles
 d - 447 javelins of penetration (quivered) {!d}
Armour
 i - the +2 pair of boots of the Albatross (worn) {rPois Int-5 Dex+5 SInv, !d}

It affects your intelligence (-5).
   It affects your dexterity (+5).
   It protects you from poison.
   It lets you see invisible.
 l - the +0 Maxwell's etheric cage (worn) {RegenMP *Contam rElec MP+4, !d}

It affects your magic capacity (+4).
 n - the +5 cloak of Infinity (worn) {rElec Int+2, !d}
   (You acquired it on level 19 of a ziggurat)   

A - the +6 chain mail of the Sunfish (worn) {rC++ Regen+ Int+8 Dex-4, !d}

It affects your intelligence (+8).
   It affects your dexterity (-4).
   It greatly protects you from cold.
   It increases your rate of regeneration.
 G - the +2 pair of fencer's gloves (worn) {LBl+4 SBl+4 EV+3 Dex+6, !d}
   (You found it on level 4 of a ziggurat)   

It affects your evasion (+3).
   It affects your dexterity (+6).
 L - the +2 shield "Enureilu" (worn) {rElec rCorr SInv Stlth+, !d}
   (You found it on level 11 of a ziggurat)   

It makes you more stealthy.
Magical Staves
 b - an uncursed staff of energy {!d}
Jewellery
 t - the ring of Aku Arukk (right hand) {*Contam rElec MP+9 Int+9, !d}

[ring of magical power]

F - the ring of the Three Dances (left hand) {SustAt MR+ Str+3 Int+5, !d}
   (You found it on level 17 of a ziggurat)   

[ring of sustain attributes]

It affects your strength (+3).
   It affects your intelligence (+5).
   It affects your resistance to hostile enchantments.
 M - the ring "Zirofiu" (on amulet) {rF+++ MP+9 Int+3 Dex-5 Stlth-, !d}
   (You found it on level 18 of a ziggurat)   

[ring of loudness]

It affects your intelligence (+3).
   It affects your dexterity (-5).
   It renders you almost immune to fire.
   It makes you less stealthy.
 T - the macabre finger necklace (around neck) {rN+}

[amulet of nothing]

It protects you from negative energy.
Wands
 c - a wand of heal wounds (4/9) {!d}
 r - a wand of hasting (5/9) {!d}
 u - a wand of invisibility (4/9) {!d}
Scrolls
 g - 126 scrolls of remove curse {!d}
 o - 13 scrolls of vulnerability {!d}
 p - 91 scrolls of recharging {!d}
 z - 79 scrolls of magic mapping {!d}
 C - 8 scrolls of fear {!d}
 E - 130 scrolls of fog {!d}
 I - 85 scrolls of blinking {!d}
 J - 13 scrolls of identify {!d}
 K - 16 scrolls of immolation {!d}
 Y - 198 scrolls of teleportation {!d}
Potions
 f - 13 potions of agility {!d}
 h - 5 potions of cancellation {!d}
 j - 17 potions of haste {!d}
 k - 8 potions of might {!d}
 m - 44 potions of curing {!d}
 N - 12 potions of resistance {!d}
 R - 26 potions of heal wounds {!d}
 S - 10 potions of magic {!d}
 U - 24 potions of brilliance {!d}
 X - 144 potions of cure mutation {!d}
Miscellaneous
 s - a legendary deck of defence {the Elixir, drawn: 2} {!d}
 v - a legendary deck of changes {the Elixir, drawn: 4} {!d}
 y - a legendary deck of changes {the Elixir, drawn: 1} {!d}
 D - a legendary deck of wonders {Wild Magic, drawn: 6} {!d}
 H - a legendary deck of changes {the Elixir} {!d}
 P - a legendary deck of wonders {Wild Magic, drawn: 1}
 Q - a legendary deck of defence {the Elixir, drawn: 5}
 V - a crystal ball of energy {!d}
 W - a legendary deck of wonders {Dowsing, drawn: 1} {!d}
 Z - a disc of storms {!d}
Comestibles
 e - 62 meat rations {!d}

Skills:
 O Level 27 Fighting
 O Level 27 Short Blades
 O Level 27 Long Blades
 O Level 27 Axes
 O Level 27 Polearms
 O Level 27 Staves
 O Level 27 Slings
 O Level 27 Bows
 O Level 27 Crossbows
 O Level 27 Throwing
 O Level 27 Armour
 O Level 27 Dodging
 O Level 27 Stealth
 O Level 27 Shields
 O Level 27 Spellcasting
 O Level 27 Conjurations
 O Level 27 Hexes
 O Level 27 Charms
 O Level 27 Summonings
 O Level 27 Necromancy
 O Level 27 Fire Magic
 O Level 27 Ice Magic
 O Level 27 Air Magic
 O Level 27 Earth Magic
 O Level 27 Poison Magic
 O Level 27 Invocations
 O Level 27 Evocations

a - Death's Door          Chrm/Necr      #########.   1%          8    N/A
b - Deflect Missiles      Chrm/Air       #########.   0%          6    N/A
d - Discord               Hex            #########.   1%          8    N/A
g - Sublimation of Blood  Necr           #########.   0%          2    N/A
i - Haste                 Chrm           ########     0%          6    N/A
j - Necromutation         Trmt/Necr      #########.   1%          8    N/A

Branches:

Altars:
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Zin
Lugonu

Shops:
D:6 [   D:10 [?   Elf:2 [%   Elf:3 :   Vaults:1 ?   Vaults:2 }   Vaults:4 [
Depths:1 ?   Depths:3 !

Portals:

Annotations:

You are partially covered in slimy green scales (AC +2).
You are partially covered in thin metallic scales (AC +2).

Message History

Casting: Necromutation
Aiming: Haste
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - you
You feel yourself speed up.
You are very lightly contaminated with residual magic.
There is a gateway to a ziggurat here.
Casting: Haste
You feel very safe from missiles.
Casting: Deflect Missiles
You don't know that spell.
Casting: Deflect Missiles
It gets dark.
Evoke which item? (* to show all) (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You gaze into the crystal ball. You are suffused with power!
Save game and exit?

#####.#####.####..#     #.#
#   #.............#     #.#
#   #.............#     #.#####
#   #.............#     #.....###
#   #.............#######.###.#..
#   #.....................#[#....
#   #...............)))####'####.
#####........∩∩∩....)))#.^#.#^.#.
........=...∩∩∩∩L...)))####.####.
#####........∩∩∩.....))#.^#.#^.#.
#   #..(.............))####.####.
#   #.................)#.^#.#^.#.
#   #..........."""..))####'####.
#   #.[..!?/:}...=...............
#####....}/}..............#######
.........}%........[[.....#
#####.="...........[[[....##

There are no monsters in sight!

Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 | 19-21 | 22-24 | 25-27 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Unarmed           |    18 |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     6 ||    24
       Dagger            |    22 |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       ||    22
       Short sword       |    37 |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       ||    37
       Mace              |       |    89 |       |       |       |       |       |       |       ||    89
       Hand axe          |       |    25 |   505 |       |       |       |       |       |       ||   530
       Battleaxe         |       |       |   160 |   147 |   463 |   110 |       |       |       ||   880
       War axe           |       |       |       |   580 |   485 |       |       |       |       ||  1065
       Broad axe         |       |       |       |       |   537 |       |       |       |   250 ||   787
       Executioner's axe |       |       |       |       |       |  1222 |  1466 |  1212 |  9609 || 13509
       Katana            |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   768 ||   768
       Quarterstaff      |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    46 ||    46
       Staff             |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    20 ||    20
       Eudemon blade     |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 ||     1
 Fire: Blowgun           |       |       |       |    12 |       |       |       |       |       ||    12
Throw: Throwing net      |       |       |       |     1 |       |       |       |       |       ||     1
       Javelin           |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    49 ||    49
 Cast: Pain              |    53 |    33 |    17 |     7 |       |       |       |       |       ||   110
       Animate Skeleton  |    13 |    11 |    23 |    25 |    26 |    11 |    20 |    11 |     4 ||   144
       Vampiric Draining |     1 |    35 |    83 |   217 |   157 |    11 |       |     2 |       ||   506
       Animate Dead      |       |       |     8 |    31 |    58 |    60 |    61 |    35 |    14 ||   267
       Control Undead    |       |       |     2 |     1 |     3 |       |     1 |       |       ||     7
       Death Channel     |       |       |       |       |     2 |    32 |    63 |    42 |    17 ||   156
       Dispel Undead     |       |       |       |       |       |     8 |    23 |     5 |    19 ||    55
       Repel Missiles    |       |       |       |       |       |     2 |       |       |       ||     2
       Agony             |       |       |       |       |       |     4 |     1 |     3 |       ||     8
       Recall            |       |       |       |       |       |       |     7 |     1 |     1 ||     9
       Haste             |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |   336 ||   337
       Necromutation     |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |  1005 ||  1005
       Tornado           |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   704 ||   704
       Fire Storm        |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   550 ||   550
       Glaciate          |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   480 ||   480
       Discord           |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   290 ||   290
       Sublimation of Bl |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   283 ||   283
       Darkness          |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   183 ||   183
       Disjunction       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    61 ||    61
       Deflect Missiles  |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    52 ||    52
       Lehudib's Crystal |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    48 ||    48
       Blink             |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     4 ||     4
       Summon Butterflie |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     3 ||     3
       Apportation       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     2 ||     2
Invok: Lesser Servant of |       |       |     2 |    11 |    14 |       |       |       |       ||    27
       Major Destruction |       |       |       |     2 |       |       |       |       |       ||     2
       Greater Servant o |       |       |       |       |     2 |     4 |       |       |       ||     6
 Abil: Device Recharging |       |       |       |     1 |       |     2 |       |       |       ||     3
       Evoke Berserk Rag |       |       |       |       |     1 |       |       |       |       ||     1
       Evoke Teleportati |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |       |       ||     1
       End Transformatio |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    90 ||    90
       Evoke Blink       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 ||     1
Evoke: Wand              |     1 |       |     5 |    16 |    26 |    27 |     5 |    11 |   112 ||   203
       Box of beasts     |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     2 |       ||     2
       Deck              |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |    71 ||    72
       Disc of storms    |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |  3043 ||  3043
       Crystal ball of e |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   687 ||   687
       Staff of energy   |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |   532 ||   532
       Figurine of a zig |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |    10 ||    10
  Use: Scroll            |       |       |       |    28 |    19 |    18 |    14 |    21 |   372 ||   472
       Potion            |       |       |       |     3 |     3 |    25 |     6 |     5 |   115 ||   157
 Stab: Sleeping          |     6 |     1 |     1 |     4 |     9 |       |     1 |       |       ||    22
       Distracted        |       |       |     2 |     7 |    16 |    21 |    37 |    40 |    43 ||   166
       Confused          |       |       |     1 |       |       |     5 |       |       |     3 ||     9
       Paralysed         |       |       |       |    11 |       |       |       |     7 |     1 ||    19
       Held in net/web   |       |       |       |     1 |       |       |       |       |       ||     1
       Betrayed ally     |       |       |       |       |     1 |       |       |       |       ||     1
       Invisible         |       |       |       |       |       |     7 |       |       |       ||     7
       Petrified         |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     4 ||     4
       Petrifying        |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     3 ||     3
  Eat: Chunk             |     5 |    14 |    25 |    63 |    67 |    68 |    61 |    34 |    16 ||   353
       Meat ration       |       |       |     1 |     1 |       |       |       |       |     4 ||     6
       Beef jerky        |       |       |       |     2 |       |       |       |     2 |    22 ||    26
       Pizza             |       |       |       |     5 |     6 |     1 |       |     2 |     5 ||    19
       Royal jelly       |       |       |       |     1 |       |     1 |       |     1 |    13 ||    16
       Bread ration      |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |     2 |    19 ||    22
       Fruit             |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |    11 ||    12

ok ive got 9 zigs done and ive upgraded my equipment a little bit. figured out some good tactics for spider and pan levels. mostly relying on the spell discord now since spiders and demonspawn both have low MR. i also got fear scrolls and invis wand to help gain control of my initial LOS, and then on spider level i can drop out of lich and sublimate+firestorm and then for pan levels just use cboe with any of my elixir cards as backups.

ive just started skipping any chaos or other tough levels past level 20 or so because the maps are too big. also discord makes the easy levels even easier, things like orc, swamp, lair, elf levels. they just tear themselves apart. at this point i dont see anything that can stop me. discord is simply amazing in zigs since it can affect your entire LOS and any enmies that get affected by it will not use thier abilities like draining gaze, entropy weave, sap magic.

i actually learned the record for megazigs is 57 so i dont know if ill go for that or not, it is starting to get slow and boring. and im still waiting for ocpa to turn up. i kinda think i might have missed it, i wasnt double checking all loot the first couple zigs

ive considered ditching haste and downgrading dmsl to fit in shatter, or maybe some other spell. im not sure if wand of hasting is more or less powerful than max power spell haste. anyone know about that? or any ideas on what spells i might need?

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 4th January 2016, 15:44

I haven't done any megazigs but for regular zigs shatter really trivializes certain levels (the ones that are already easy like orcs/snakes/lair etc). You cast it once and nearly everything in LOS dies. It synergizes with death channel because the spectral monsters are incorporeal and take no damage, but that's also massive overkill.

I've never had a character like this, but with 91 scrolls of recharging I'd say the spell levels haste is taking up are more valuable than the inventory space needed for a wand of hasting. Duration should also be less of an issue since you're not using MP to renew? Given your gear I'd assume you're fine with contamination buildup.

Also you should walk to D4 and try to kill sigmund with discorded butterflies.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 5th January 2016, 01:26

mibe420 wrote:ive just started skipping any chaos or other tough levels past level 20 or so because the maps are too big.

Er... would skipping a level not technically invalidate your completion of that Zig?

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 5th January 2016, 02:47

majesstic wrote:
mibe420 wrote:ive just started skipping any chaos or other tough levels past level 20 or so because the maps are too big.

Er... would skipping a level not technically invalidate your completion of that Zig?

Nah, I just mean I'll only kill some monsters at the beginning then tele/ blink past and descend to the next level instead of clearing the whole thing. I'm not actually exiting the ziggurat.

Of course it's a little risky since I enter a new level without fresh buffs but I have tons of options and backups so I think I'll be fine

Still on the fence about shatter it would only really be good against hall sentinel but the levels with hell sentinels tend to be packed with them at this point. Since wand of hasting can fill in for the spell I feel like it might be more useful. I think I'll swap it in for a zig and just try it out

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 6th January 2016, 13:27

12 zigs in and ive basically gotten ideal gear
  Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18-a0-998-gcb3fcb1 (webtiles) character file.

Mibe the Talismancer (Deep Dwarf Necromancer) Turns: 225887, Time: 1 , 06:45:46

Health: 298/298    AC: 67    Str: 36    XL:     27
Magic:  88/88      EV: 20    Int: 55    God:    Makhleb [******]
Gold:   1293       SH: 22    Dex: 12    Spells: 13 memorised, 0 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    b - +9 Staff of Wucad Mu {channel, !d}
rCold  + + +      Gourm    .    W - +8 orange crystal plate armour {Archmagi, Int+3 Clar SustAt, !d}
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    L - +2 shield "Enureilu" {rElec rCorr SInv Stlth+, !d}
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    l - +3 hat of Pondering {ponderous, MR+ MP+10 Int+5, !d}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    H - +2 cloak of Eternal Vigilance {rC+++ MR- Dex+3 SInv}
rCorr  +          Reflect  .    i - +4 pair of gloves of Sijuwk {Str+8 Int+3, !d}
SustAt +          Harm     .    Q - +0 pair of boots "Oclem" {MP+9 Str+4, !d}
MR     +++++      Clarity  +    T - macabre finger necklace {rN+, !d}
Stlth  +++.......               t - ring of Aku Arukk {*Contam rElec MP+9 Int+9, !d}
                                w - ring of Ihayci {rPois Str+9 Dex+4 SInv}
                                M - ring "Zirofiu" {rF+++ MP+9 Int+3 Dex-5 Stlth-, !d}

@: lich-form, darkness, non-regenerating, repel missiles, slow, almost entirely
resistant to hostile enchantments, fairly stealthy
A: damage resistance, recharge devices, horns 1, rough black scales 1, slimy
green scales 1, thin skeletal structure 1, agile 1, deterioration 1, negative
energy resistance 1, sense surroundings 3, poison resistance, screaming 1,
shaggy fur 1, slow regeneration 3

You worship Makhleb.
You are not hungry.

You are a lich.

You have visited the Abyss 4 times.
You have completed 12 ziggurats, and seen 324 of their levels.

You have collected 28969 gold pieces.
You have spent 22025 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - the +6 broad axe of the Fifty Tales {chop, +Blink rElec, !d}

It lets you blink.
 b - the +9 Staff of Wucad Mu (weapon) {channel, !d}
   (You found it on level 24 of a ziggurat)
Missiles
 d - 518 javelins of penetration (quivered) {!d}
Armour
 i - the +4 pair of gloves of Sijuwk (worn) {Str+8 Int+3, !d}

It affects your strength (+8).
 l - the +3 hat of Pondering (worn) {ponderous, MR+ MP+10 Int+5, !d}
   (You acquired it on level 15 of a ziggurat)   

It affects your intelligence (+5).
   It affects your magic capacity (+10).
 H - the +2 cloak of Eternal Vigilance (worn) {rC+++ MR- Dex+3 SInv}

It affects your dexterity (+3).
   It renders you almost immune to cold.
 L - the +2 shield "Enureilu" (worn) {rElec rCorr SInv Stlth+, !d}
   (You found it on level 11 of a ziggurat)   

It makes you more stealthy.
 Q - the +0 pair of boots "Oclem" (worn) {MP+9 Str+4, !d}
   (You acquired it on level 7 of a ziggurat)   

W - the +8 orange crystal plate armour (worn) {Archmagi, Int+3 Clar SustAt, !d}
   (You found it on level 14 of a ziggurat)   

Magical Staves
 n - an uncursed staff of energy {!d}
Jewellery
 t - the ring of Aku Arukk (right hand) {*Contam rElec MP+9 Int+9, !d}

[ring of magical power]

w - the ring of Ihayci (left hand) {rPois Str+9 Dex+4 SInv}
   (You found it on level 19 of a ziggurat)   

[ring of poison resistance]

It affects your strength (+9).
   It affects your dexterity (+4).
   It protects you from poison.
 M - the ring "Zirofiu" (on amulet) {rF+++ MP+9 Int+3 Dex-5 Stlth-, !d}
   (You found it on level 18 of a ziggurat)   

[ring of loudness]

It affects your dexterity (-5).
   It renders you almost immune to fire.
   It makes you less stealthy.
 T - the macabre finger necklace (around neck) {rN+, !d}

[amulet of nothing]

It protects you from negative energy.
Wands
 c - a wand of heal wounds (4/9) {!d}
 q - a wand of hasting (9/9) {!d}
 u - a wand of invisibility (7/9) {!d}
 B - a wand of hasting (1/9) {!d}
Scrolls
 g - 186 scrolls of remove curse {!d}
 o - 19 scrolls of vulnerability {!d}
 p - 94 scrolls of recharging {!d}
 z - 117 scrolls of magic mapping {!d}
 C - 10 scrolls of fear {!d}
 D - 7 scrolls of torment {!d}
 E - 189 scrolls of fog {!d}
 I - 100 scrolls of blinking {!d}
 J - 17 scrolls of identify
 K - 20 scrolls of immolation {!d}
 Y - 286 scrolls of teleportation {!d}
Potions
 f - 20 potions of agility {!d}
 h - 6 potions of cancellation {!d}
 j - 24 potions of haste {!d}
 k - 11 potions of might {!d}
 m - 53 potions of curing {!d}
 N - 15 potions of resistance {!d}
 R - 27 potions of heal wounds {!d}
 S - 8 potions of magic {!d}
 U - 26 potions of brilliance {!d}
 X - 194 potions of cure mutation {!d}
Miscellaneous
 r - a legendary deck of defence {the Tomb, drawn: 1} {!d}
 v - a legendary deck of changes {the Elixir, drawn: 9} {!d}
 x - a legendary deck of changes {the Elixir} {!d}
 y - a legendary deck of changes {the Elixir, drawn: 1} {!d}
 O - a legendary deck of war {the Elixir, drawn: 2} {!d}
 P - a legendary deck of wonders {Wild Magic, drawn: 1} {!d}
 V - a crystal ball of energy {!d}
 Z - a disc of storms {!d}
Comestibles
 e - 75 meat rations {!d}

Skills:
 O Level 27 Fighting
 O Level 27 Short Blades
 O Level 27 Long Blades
 O Level 27 Axes
 O Level 27 Polearms
 O Level 27 Staves
 O Level 27 Slings
 O Level 27 Bows
 O Level 27 Crossbows
 O Level 27 Throwing
 O Level 27 Armour
 O Level 27 Dodging
 O Level 27 Stealth
 O Level 27 Shields
 O Level 27 Spellcasting
 O Level 27 Conjurations
 O Level 27 Hexes
 O Level 27 Charms
 O Level 27 Summonings
 O Level 27 Necromancy
 O Level 27 Fire Magic
 O Level 27 Ice Magic
 O Level 27 Air Magic
 O Level 27 Earth Magic
 O Level 27 Poison Magic
 O Level 27 Invocations
 O Level 27 Evocations

a - Death's Door          Chrm/Necr      ##########   1%          8    N/A
b - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       ######       0%          2    N/A
d - Discord               Hex            #########.   1%          8    N/A
g - Sublimation of Blood  Necr           ##########   0%          2    N/A
i - Shatter               Erth           #########.   1%          9    N/A
j - Necromutation         Trmt/Necr      ##########   1%          8    N/A
l - Apportation           Tloc           #########.   0%          1    N/A

Branches:

Altars:
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Zin
Lugonu

Shops:
D:6 [   D:10 [?   Elf:2 [%   Vaults:1 ?   Vaults:2 }   Vaults:4 [
Depths:3 !

Portals:

Annotations:

You have a pair of small horns on your head.
You are partially covered in rough black scales (AC +4, Dex -1).
You are partially covered in slimy green scales (AC +2).
You have a somewhat thin skeletal structure (Dex +2, Stealth).
You are agile. (Dex +2)
Your body sometimes deteriorates upon taking damage.
Your system is resistant to poisons.
You occasionally shout uncontrollably at your foes.
You are covered in fur (AC +1).

Message History

You feel a surge of power!
Your body is suffused with negative energy!
b - the +9 Staff of Wucad Mu (weapon) {channel, !d}
You feel a strong surge of power!
You extend your transformation's duration.
You feel a surge of power! You feel protected from missiles.
Casting: Repel Missiles
You feel a surge of power!
It gets dark.
Magical energy flows into your mind!
Your head hurts. Nothing appears to happen.
Save game and exit?

#.............####  #.#
   #...................#.#####
   #.............#..#........####
   #.............#.....#.###.#...
   #.....................#[#.....
   #...............))).###'####..
####........∩∩∩∩∩..)).#.^#.#^.#.#
.......=...∩∩∩∩∩...)))####.####.#
####........∩∩∩∩L...))..^#.#^.#.#
   #..(..(..........))#.##.####.#
   #................))..^#.#^.#.#
   #..........."""...)..##'####..
   #.[..!)/:}...=...............#
####....}/}..............########
........}%........[.[....#
####.."...........[.[....##
   #.==..=........[[[.....##

There are no monsters in sight!

the only things threatening at this point are pan levels because of sap magic. i can usually avoid getting sapped but sometimes demonspawn enters LOS with clear shot and saps immediately. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i considered it m ight be worth wearing low ER armour to better deal with sap magic but i think ocpa is worth it.

the other threat is chaos level of course, it is so chock full of random pan lords, all with varying resists, high ac/ev/mr, and often flying. maybe taking advantage of wucad mu will give me the edge i need on those levels.

the only possible upgrade is if i find a randart that adds more mp/stats without compromising resists. fat chance

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 6th January 2016, 17:34

A large shield would be a worthy upgrade. I imagine your hanging on to the shield for rCorr, which makes sense now that Entropy Weavers are a thing. Otherwise, your gear looks great. (I think you'd be fine with 2 pips of rC and maybe rF, if something tempting pops up...)

You can totally wait out Sap Magic. Dark Suns and Shadow Fiends are the only big threats on those levels due to Dispel Undead. (Chaos Campions can be annoying, but i don't think they can paralyze.). Save your casts for Necromutation to avoid Torment and just melee and throw javelins.

In case you haven't noticed, Unarmed kills single targets much faster than the broad axe: only use the broad axe to lazily kill many monsters at once when you can afford to (or for the +Blink---lucky find!).

Hellfire you can handle by standing next to something Hellfire susceptible and well enough respected by the hellfirer. 1's, 2's, and I think demonspawn work. (h/t Nebuchadnezzar)

More SH and EV would help with LCS and Iron Shot, but staying with OCPA is best, I'm sure, for the Clarity and SustAb.

Remember to use those fog scrolls to avoid any of this, too. You've got plenty.

How do you deal with possible paralysis from chaos-branded Pan lords, apocalypse crabs, and those screaming X's? This killed several of my promising mega-ziggers before I learned to love the amulet of stasis (RIP).

Is Shatter worthwhile? I never committed to it since most of the nasty stuff is flying. The iron-themed levels are bad (Hell Sentinels and the w's that slow---I hope no Iron Giants now) and Shatter could work great there, even for just knocking out the w's, if not the Sentinels.

Otherwise, it's just an excerise in patience at this point. Don't play tired and you can go on forever. (Maybe you want to start playing regular games on another server to keep your sanity between mega-zigs.)

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 6th January 2016, 23:58

you are right on both counts with the shield. if i find an alternate source of rcorr i will upgrade to either gong or a large shield. yeah i suppose sap magic and pan levels arent too bad. i can always drop out of lich form and quaff cancel if i really need too.

thats a good tip about UC, i didnt really think about it. i am in fact using that axe for the +blink, its already saved my ass a couple times. i do need to be more mindful of my fog scrolls and other consumables. i can probably use immo and/or vuln scrolls on chaos levels to kill faster.

the best way ive found to minimize risk of paralyze on chaos floor is to always have disjunction up, and have tornado up as often as possible. i also take care to stand on a cloud, either from glaciate or disc of storms to avoid chaos clouds, and also to immediately firestorm any summoned giant eyeballs. disjunction+tornado stops most of the melee attacks, but you obviously still get hit sometimes. however if you get parlyzed with disjunctaion and/or tornado up it makes a huge difference, as you will still blink away opponents and get hp from kills even while paralyzed. it does happen occasionally.

for the starcursed masses i just try to keep darkness up on those levels, and always have tornado up. i spam disc of storms every other turn to save mp, so i can firestorm them if they start to make a big group. ime, even when they do paralyze you its a short duration, and there isnt a huge amount of damage on abyss level(usually). if you start to lose control shatter works great.

speaking of shatter, its simply fantastic. it does 2 things, the first of which is to make the easy levels, completely mindless. shoal, orc, elf, swamp, etc...can all be beaten by alternating shatter and sublimate. its also great on the iron/dis level. because yes they are chock full of iron giants, who are quite fond of throwing you out of your tornado. theres no much torment though so the aforementioned shatter/sublimate strategy works really well. its also a great way to take out ancient liches/hell sentinels wherever they show up. those two enemies are fairly resilient and usually end up clumping up next to me despite tornados/disc of storms. even if lots of the worst enemies are flying, theres still lots of nasty ones that dont, and it can be useful to hit your entire LOS at once. its almost guaranteed max HP with makh on most levels.

discord is also a great spell that i didnt expect at first. it can even work on pan lords on chaos level, but you probably need vuln scroll. its very mana efficient if you start to lose control on a spider level too. ie..too many ghost moths enter LOS and you have too much contam to go invis. just cast discord and then firestorm whichever ones dont get frenzied. same with warmongers.

its funny you mention not playing tired because i almost died doing that last night...accidentally evoked cboe without holding my katana (this was before ocpa) and got confused on a chaos level. turns out you can still use decks while confused, its the only reason im alive.

For this message the author mibe420 has received thanks:
Airwolf

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 7th January 2016, 03:19

Thanks for the comments!

I've never gotten the hang of discord, darkness, and disjunction. I'll have to now.

Shatter is probably also great for starcursed masses: it should force any that have split back together, if it doesn't kill them outright.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th January 2016, 09:42

mibe420 wrote:turns out you can still use decks while confused

FR: confusion makes you occasionally draw a wrong card :)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 7th January 2016, 12:02

Sprucery wrote:
mibe420 wrote:turns out you can still use decks while confused

FR: confusion makes you occasionally draw a wrong card :)

oh that would be nasty. maybe wait until i break the megazig record first.

heres a couple things i learned about darkness:
-tornado completely fills up dark LOS
-glaciate reaches to the edge of dark LOS
-if you can make it to a corner, and also have darkness, then glaciate hits your entire LOS
-it is absolutely vital on spider/slime levels because of ghost moth/draining eyes.
-it does not work on holy zig
-it does NOT give a warning when it is about to expire
-disjunction aura almost fills dark LOS, just missing the outermost square

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 7th January 2016, 14:02

In my experience shatter isn't great for starcursed masses, but I've only done little zigs with vehumet.

kill things+sublimate seems like fun though, making me want to try a makhleb necro

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 21st January 2016, 12:35

Oh hey, you're trying to break my record? :)
After 13 zig or so I started to skip levels w' disjunction and cblink. Partly because it was no challenge anymore, partly because of the webtiles lag.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/kuniq ... 212758.txt
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too