YASD: Cast into the Abyss on D:1

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 26th November 2015, 10:32

YASD: Cast into the Abyss on D:1

In what is best described as a pathological corner case, a character of mine was cast into the Abyss from Dungeon:1 on the first hit by a kobold wielding a whip of distortion (a very unusual brand at this stage in the game).

Code:
A kobold comes into view. It is wielding a whip of distortion.
There is an open door here.
Found 11 gold pieces.
A goblin comes into view.
The kobold shouts!
The kobold hits you with a whip of distortion.
You are cast into the Abyss!

This represents the first time I've ever gotten banished in any non-test (e.g. not wizmode) game. Obviously, the character (XL2 VSNe) did not last much longer.

I've since edited my configuration file to interrupt on encountering a monster wielding a distortion weapon.

Have you had anything like this happen before?

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 26th November 2015, 10:38

Re: YASD: Cast into the Abyss on D:1

Usually, the danger of this sort is just getting zapped to death with a whip of electrocution or lethally poisoned by a dagger of venom or somesuch. A whip of distortion could have killed you with damage too.

I've had a hobgoblin with a club OHK a spriggan before.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 28th November 2015, 04:17

Re: YASD: Cast into the Abyss on D:1

Hurkyl wrote:A whip of distortion could have killed you with damage too.

That's definitely true. A non-banishing hit that comes up as "Space warps horribly around you!" could alone have inflicted enough damage to be lethal. An extra 3-26 points of irresistible damage (biased towards 14.5) is likely to be high enough to one-shot something as frail as an XL2 Vine Stalker with just 13 HP (even after accounting for 6 MP from the spirit shield).

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too