Let's Play: Dungeon Crawl [Video]

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2011, 01:39

Let's Play: Dungeon Crawl [Video]

Heya Folks,

I do Let's Plays for a variety of games on my YouTube channel, and I recently did a session of Dungeon Crawl (which I'm terrible at). One of my subscribers recommended that I post a link here, so here I am!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU3wgqFz40Y

If you enjoy the video, please remember to subscribe for more!

For this message the author quill18 has received thanks: 2
gofftc, MyOtheHedgeFox

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2011, 02:24

Re: Let's Play: Dungeon Crawl [Video]

Actually I'm no a subscriber, just found it.

But the Video is nice to watch, you kill off a Spriggan and a Mountain Dwarf quiet fast XL:3 and 4,
but the HEIE you start around 0:33 must be one of the luckiest bastards.
Even with TabO alone Tiles player get a feeling of Console.
There is no mouse in crawl;
Hit ?? ingame!

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2011, 09:41

You say a bunch of incorrect stuff and give some bad advice, but it's nice to watch. And for having played only so few games (inferred from looking at your highscore list) you're actually playing pretty well. Your video might make some people check out crawl, which would be great. It also might be fun for you to watch it again once you get better at crawl. :)

I only watched the Spriggan, here's the things I noticed:
- aptitudes don't give a skill bonus, they make your skills level faster.
- "partially explored, cant reach some places" doesn't mean there's a secret door somewhere, it means there's water or a plant in the way. Secret doors are never hinted at.
- reading an unidentified scroll on the off chance that it's remove curse is not a pretty big chance to take. I usually read-id all scrolls in the early game, as soon as I have a few. I start read-iding immediately if I happen to put on something cursed.
- putting on possibly cursed stuff is really most dangerous in the early game, because later on you're sure to have access to remove curse. But ID scrolls are also most scarce early on (and better used on potions), so I often risk it too. Not on something which isn't apparently magical though.
- using ID scrolls on other scrolls should not usually be your top priority. IDing potions is usually much more important. Also, as you said, most rings are good, so might as well try putting them on.
- engaging that orc priest was a bad idea. If you know an enemy is too strong just go away. Especially if it's asleep.
- as a Spriggan you're fast, so you can just run away from most melee enemies if you get low on health.
- you should drink the potion of porridge pretty soon (before you even get hungry), it might get shattered by cold attacks otherwise (orc wizard and darts of frost are the early cold attacks).
Last edited by Galefury on Tuesday, 31st May 2011, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks:
quill18

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2011, 12:30

quill18 wrote:Heya Folks,

I do Let's Plays for a variety of games on my YouTube channel, and I recently did a session of Dungeon Crawl (which I'm terrible at). One of my subscribers recommended that I post a link here, so here I am!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU3wgqFz40Y

If you enjoy the video, please remember to subscribe for more!

Your video was amusing. I added your link to my list of Crawl LPs. :)

For this message the author lucy_ferre has received thanks:
quill18

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 5th July 2013, 12:18

Spoiler: show
gofftc wrote:Actually I'm no a subscriber, just found it...

To be honest, I became a subscriber shortly after, and you're...
...one of my favorite english-speaking Lp'er.
-no sarcasm involved-

Back to what I wanna to say:
Look what I found!
Tutorial viedeos from Q18:
pt1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aglmm0VON_g
pt2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukTgVJpmyL8

Hope I did'nt kinda take this thread hostage; but still - till Quill 18 did'nt post something; I did.
enjoy.
Even with TabO alone Tiles player get a feeling of Console.
There is no mouse in crawl;
Hit ?? ingame!

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 5th July 2013, 16:12

I think it's almost equally important to identify potions and scrolls, tough, especially when you depend on your gear more if you are not a conjurer type mage, you woudn't want to waste a scroll of vorpalization and wasting enchants is not a pleasant thing, too. And you'll eventually find enough ID scrolls, probably, so you can leave most latest single scrolls and potions you have found for later identification. Though it's harder to conserve consumables, when you are a melee fighter, because you need as much escape and backup options as you can get. Experience makes guessing the type and the dangerousness of both potions and scrolls(scrolls are not dangerous, though, unless you blow yourself with immolation at a low health) much easier, though. For example, usually most scrolls you find at the beginning are ID and remove curse, then teleportation. Most common potions are of curing and then healing and restore abilities, I guess? Though RNG throws some unpredictable stuff at you, like giving you a few enchant armour scrolls from the first levels. It's hard to tell off the bat, it's more intuitive when you decide to ID your stuff. Though its true, that often you need to find a scroll of remove curse asap. And even if you waste some useful scrolls, it won't have a strong impact on the later game, but I just don't like to. I mean potions take priority at first, maybe, but I wouldn't just read all the scrolls just to ID them.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 03:27

I wouldn't worry so much about wasting an enchant scroll. Because they simply fail once you're going past +5, so using one on a crappy weapon early probably helps you in the short term until you find a better weapon and waste most of them anyway. Enchant armor is a bit trickier for heavy armor users as they might be needed, but all other characters will probably have an abundance. Having blinking, fog, and fear known early is a fair tradeoff.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 05:37

Also, if you just assume that any scroll that asks you to pick something out of inventory is enchant armor, then at worst you'll have wasted an ID and a recharging. Even if you "waste" one on armor you won't be wearing forever you'll at least get some benefit out of it

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 09:12

But what about the perfection?

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 13:42

Wow, this is quite the old thread to necro!

Relevant, though.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too