Monks

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 22:59

Monks

I've decided to try to win all the --Mo combinations (one of every race and one of every god). Here are the wins so far.

If possible, I'm trying to win both a god I haven't previously won and a go that hasn't been won by that Monk type. [HOMo is an exception because going for Polytheist and need the Beogh.]

Plans:
  • Hill Orc Monk of Beogh
  • Demonspawn Monk of Fedhas Madash
  • Draconian Monk of Trog
  • Gargoyle Monk of Lugonu
  • Human Monk of Nemelex Xobeh
  • Halfling Monk of Okawaru
  • High Elf Monk of Xom
  • Vinestalker Monk of Yredelemnul
  • Demigod Monk of No God
  • Naga Monk of Qazlal
  • Vampire Monk of Trog

[And to wrap up races after Polytheist]
  • Ghoul Monk of Ashenzari
  • Ogre Monk of Vehumet
Last edited by bcadren on Sunday, 6th December 2015, 01:06, edited 12 times in total.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 23:48

Re: Monks

Ogre monk of Vehumet strikes me as an odd choice, especially as it's after the polytheist conduct. It's certainly possible, of course, but if you're looking to wrap up wins something like Okawaru/makhleb would be much easier.

I'm not sure if you're trying to match gods to the race that benefits from them the most, though, but assuming you were going for power level, I'd also switch makhleb to DD (Centaur ely is fine) and find some god to switch with Troll of Sif Muna. And I've done a troll of Sif Muna, so....(it died in vaults).

Most gods mix pretty well with monks as monks tend to be somewhat hybrids so you can add most anything to them and it comes out okay. Obvious exceptions for Xom, somewhat for ashenzari as it's hard to get piety, but eventually ash will be helpful. I'm not sure I'd pick ashenzari to be one of the repeated gods, though. This is assuming you intend to stick with unarmed; if you are willing to pick up a weapon then ash's value increases.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 7th July 2015, 00:47

tasonir wrote:Ogre monk of Vehumet strikes me as an odd choice, especially as it's after the polytheist conduct. It's certainly possible, of course, but if you're looking to wrap up wins something like Okawaru/makhleb would be much easier.

I'm not sure if you're trying to match gods to the race that benefits from them the most, though, but assuming you were going for power level, I'd also switch makhleb to DD (Centaur ely is fine) and find some god to switch with Troll of Sif Muna. And I've done a troll of Sif Muna, so....(it died in vaults).

Most gods mix pretty well with monks as monks tend to be somewhat hybrids so you can add most anything to them and it comes out okay. Obvious exceptions for Xom, somewhat for ashenzari as it's hard to get piety, but eventually ash will be helpful. I'm not sure I'd pick ashenzari to be one of the repeated gods, though. This is assuming you intend to stick with unarmed; if you are willing to pick up a weapon then ash's value increases.
The first ones were -2* UC apt races that picked up weapons and stuck with them. IDK if the Ghoul will stick to UC or not; regardless Ash's magic support and Armour/Dodging support will be really valuable to a character with shit for Stats.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 7th July 2015, 09:32

Octopode of Qazlal wouldn't be my choice, as one of Op's advantages is stealth, which you lose with Qazlal. Maybe I'd swap with Demonspawn, since Ds have great Invocation apt, which would be good for using Qazlal's powers, and Fedhas's ability to make water could work well for Op...

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 7th July 2015, 18:09

Octopodes only get stealth from water; it's not that big a deal. Of course, fedhas is always good regardless.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 7th July 2015, 19:29

byrel wrote:Octopodes only get stealth from water; it's not that big a deal. Of course, fedhas is always good regardless.

They also get "Immunity from melee attacks from creatures that can't walk into deep water" from deep water, particularly helpful with any method of attack which hits things at range > 1
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 7th July 2015, 20:02

Do they no longer get camouflage giving them a bonus to stealth?

Also, I was thinking just as much of the +4 stealth aptitude which is kind of useful for keeping them alive and is "wasted" if you worship Qazlal.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 7th July 2015, 20:53

Oh, I agree. Qaz Op sounds like a carefully planned and executed suicide. I just don't think Fedhas's Rain is a particularly good reason to pick him. Nemelex would be good too. In fact, a lot of gods would be nice, and the best one is probably one of the first 3-4 you find.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 05:54

New win added. Probably my most diesel character altogether ever.

Kobold Monk of Cheibriados (15 Runes): http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/AltBc ... 054832.txt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 13th July 2015, 17:58

bcadren wrote: most diesel character ... Cheibriados
Story checks out. :)

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 01:56

New win added. Incredibly tanky and hardest hitting in melee ever; but actually overall weaker than the Kobold Monk.

Centaur Monk of Makhleb (15 Runes): http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/AltBc ... 015108.txt

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 03:17

grads on the win.
That cloak was insane. Personaly I would have perfered FDA if I had fire and shadow dragon hides avalible at the same time, but W/e, that rarely happens.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 03:22

WingedEspeon wrote:That cloak was insane. Personaly I would have perfered FDA if I had fire and shadow dragon hides avalible at the same time, but W/e, that rarely happens.
I spent the early game in a +12 Chain Mail (rCorr MP-9 STR+3 DEX+2); switched from that to Shadow Dragon Armour so I could actually have some stealth.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 4th October 2015, 14:14

New win added. Formacid Monk of Ashenzari with 15 Runes: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Bcadr ... 232349.txt

Order was weird this time:

D:12 -> Orc -> Elf:3 (Partial [ran from DEBM with draining]) -> Lair -> Spider (rune 1) -> Elf:3 -> Slime (rune 2) -> Vaults: 4 -> Shoals (rune 3) -> Depths -> Vaults: 5 (rune 4) -> Crypt -> Tomb (rune 5) -> Hell -> Zot (cleared for XP) -> Dis (rune 6) -> Tartarus (rune 7) -> Gehenna (rune 8) -> Cocytus (rune 9) -> Pan (Runes 10-14) -> Abyss (last rune) -> Orbrun.

EDIT (BUMP):

New Win added. Felid Monk of Kiku. DDoor is kinda awesome.

EDIT (BUMP):

New Win added. New personal high score. Troll Monk of Sif Muna. Played remarkably similar to my first win ever (OFFLINE: Troll Earth Elementalist of Cheibriados) only I gave up equipment slots for +INT Equipment instead of my speed for Int; and with Sif, I had a much larger variety of spells available...most notably cBlink, Haste and DMsl.

Order: D:12 -> Orc -> Lair -> Elf:2 -> Abyssed (RUNE 1) -> Elf:3 -> Snake (RUNE 2) -> Shoals:3 -> Slime (RUNE 3) -> Shoals:4 (RUNE 4) -> Vaults: 4 -> Depths: 2 -> Pandemonium -> Partial Zig (9 Levels) -> Pan (RUNE 5-9) -> Cocytus (RUNE 10) -> Tomb (RUNE 11) -> Vaults (RUNE 12) -> Iron City of Dis (RUNE 13) -> Tartarus (RUNE 14) -> Gehenna (RUNE 15) -> Depths: 5 (Dive) -> Zot: 5 (Dive) -> Orb Run

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 14th October 2015, 03:40

Since I can't bump; apparently. New win added. TrMo^Sif with 43 Int.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 1st November 2015, 23:12

I'm trying to win with a Deep Elf Monk myself, and I splatted 200 times in a row. So good job with that! (You went dodging to bows? Maybe that's what I should do. I always wanted a shield to offset my teen little hit point pool, but bows are nasty, especially with Dith.)

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 6th December 2015, 04:12

So I tried the new god. Won on the second try. (MiMo^Pakellas) very powerful god for a non-magic user.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too