YASD - Died on D:3 with the Orb of Zot

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 1st May 2011, 08:13

YASD - Died on D:3 with the Orb of Zot

Code:
618543 Fvandir Bolei the Meteorologist (level 27, -7/155 HPs)
             Began as a High Elf Wizard on Apr 28, 2011.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Killed from afar by a Shadow Fiend (28 damage)
             ... with a bolt of negative energy
             ... led by Thryb

... on Level 3 of the Dungeon on May 1, 2011.
             The game lasted 14:30:38 (172033 turns).

Here's the full morgue: http://pastebin.com/Lhh9A82y

In this game I had many firsts: First time clearing Elf, First time stepping foot in (and clearing) Vault, Shoals, Crypt and Zot. I even managed to clear about half of Tomb:1 before I chickened out and ran. First time getting more than 1 rune. First time getting the Orb of Zot (obviously). First time getting above XL:18. First time maxing a skill, getting a higher than 6th level spell, and so on and so on...

It was such a great game, and I was SURE I was going to ascend after I survived Zot:5 and grabbed the orb. I made an almost straight run for the exit, stopping in Hive:2 and Lair:2 to grab some artefacts on the way... then got cornered on D:3 by some nasty demons, read my last Teleport scroll too late, and died. I was like 10 seconds away from ascending.

I'm pretty torn up right now... on the one hand it was an awesome game and I'm so happy I was able to do and see as much as I did! I can only hope I'll be able to do as well sometime soon. On the other hand, I was SO CLOSE! Arrrrrrrrrrghrrghrgrhhhhrrrrrhrrr! I think I'm going to have to take a break for a while, though...

This is what my high score list looks like now:
  Code:
$ crawl -ts
  1.  618543 Fvandir Bo HEWz-27 blasted by a Shadow Fiend (D:3)
  2.  210354 sxoz       DSEn-18 blasted by a greater naga (Snake:5)
  3.  190629 Hytethusza DSCj-18 slain by a skeletal warrior (Abyss)
  4.  128466 Uethib     DSIE-16 slain by a slime creature (Swamp:1)
  5.  116180 Grupe      DSWz-16 slain by a portal mimic (Swamp:3)

That #2 (my previous best) was actually online on CAO, but I coped the morgue file to my machine so that I could keep my high score list in the same place (because I'm still playing tiles mostly). But anyway, you can see how amazing this game was for me. :)

Oh, and Tornado is awesome.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 1st May 2011, 09:33

Re: YASD - Died on D:3 with the Orb of Zot

Just wait til you meet your ghost on D:3 with a new character.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 1st May 2011, 12:17

sxoz wrote:I made an almost straight run for the exit, stopping in Hive:2 and Lair:2 to grab some artefacts on the way...

You should make sure to grab your runes next time too. I notice you died with 0 runes in your inventory, and they are really what matters for score. The value of your inventory makes up only a tiny fraction of your points. People do ascend with 0 runes sometimes, but its a bit weird to do.

For this message the author evilmike has received thanks:
sxoz

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 1st May 2011, 13:29

Jeremiah wrote:Just wait til you meet your ghost on D:3 with a new character.

Ouch! Didn't think of that.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 1st May 2011, 17:30

@evilmike: I was wondering about that, thanks. I think I dropped them on the entrance to Zot in D:27 (along with some other things that would have helped me escape, like a wand of teleportation) and then completely forgot about that stash in the mad rush to the surface.

@Jeremiah: looking forward to that, haha. But then, dying on D:3 doesn't seem at all like a big deal anymore, after this run. :)

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too