YASD: SpAs^Trog checking for monster short blades

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 19:35

YASD: SpAs^Trog checking for monster short blades

Greetings dear DCSS Community,

this seems to be another rutinary stupid dead. Always the same lottery, I'm starting to wonder if other (more) experienced players really do the same: wielding unknown runed weapons lying around or looted from monsters (in my case short blades) and hopping it is not a distortion one.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/KamiKatze/morgue-KamiKatze-20150205-192010.txt

Is this worth it? Or should I wait until my god gives me better alternatives. Apart of burning scrolls of identify? Is there a safe way of getting weapons without going into unnecessary risks?

Should I have continue to use the weapon? Considering that I (believe to) need my blowgun, stones and tomahawks?

Thanks in advance for any feedback, hints or shared experiences.
Long live to the ever dying SpAs of Trog!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 19:40

Re: YASD: SpAs^Trog checking for monster short blades

Distortion is a very good brand for Sp stabber.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks: 2
KamiKatze, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 20:01

However with an assasin, specifically, using a distortion weapon pretty much nukes your ability to use your blowgun, which is damn nice.

If I did wield a distortion dagger/shortblade as a SpAs I wouldn't cry over it, but I'd be mildly annoyed that my blowgun was out of comission for a long time.

Having one *not* wielded, I wouldn't wield it, simply because blowguns are that good, and branded daggers and short blades are plentiful.

If I was playing something *other* than an assassin, or really just "if I didn't care about my blowgun" I'd really like distortion as a brand on a fast short-blade user.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
KamiKatze

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 20:35

This is not directly relevant, but in trunk, the brand of a weapon carried by a monster (but not on the ground) is identified on sight.

I also hate distortion with a passion, but wielding a distortion brand is generally in the "stuff happens" category. It can be annoying, but distortion is a decent enough brand.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
KamiKatze

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 20:40

bel wrote:This is not directly relevant, but in trunk, the brand of a weapon carried by a monster (but not on the ground) is identified on sight.

Without being disrespectful about design decisions: What is the rationale of it? Why should a weapon being wielded by a monster be identified on sight, when it seems more difficult than identifying an object lying inert on the ground?

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 20:43

No idea, but I like the thought of avoiding distortion-brand wielding monsters on sight. I mostly forget to check the brand, so doesn't matter much.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 20:52

bel wrote:No idea, but I like the thought of avoiding distortion-brand wielding monsters on sight. I mostly forget to check the brand, so doesn't matter much.

Yes, the idea is tempting indeed. I may forget that this is not a realistic game but a fantasy rogue like, so other rules may apply as well. Thanks for the hint. But I'll keep playing 15.2 by now.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 20:56

KamiKatze wrote:Why should a weapon being wielded by a monster be identified on sight

Crawl wrote:Wield which item (- for none, * to show all)? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You feel magic returning to you. It bursts into flame!
U - the +6 Sword of Cerebov (weapon) {flame}

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
duvessa, KamiKatze

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 21:02

Sar wrote:
KamiKatze wrote:Why should a weapon being wielded by a monster be identified on sight

Crawl wrote:Wield which item (- for none, * to show all)? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You feel magic returning to you. It bursts into flame!
U - the +6 Sword of Cerebov (weapon) {flame}

Point taken. Very.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 00:10

And previously, weapons wielded by monsters would be identified if you happened to see the monster switch to the weapon. In even older versions, you could identify weapons after finding them by convincing monsters to wield them.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too