Dcss noob, at 6 runes and looking for a direction to go

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 22nd January 2015, 23:44

Dcss noob, at 6 runes and looking for a direction to go

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Gakhan/Gakhan.txt -- there is my char dump, have not won a game yet but have learned many lessons the hard way lol.. ive read a bunch of late game stuff and am unsure weather i should take me win or go for the 15er for my first win, i know ill likely die a horrible death but im tempted,, closest call so far was a dip into the slime pits into a big nest of slimes and the okl plant things had corr60 before i went back up and killed the slimes who followed on the stairs.. anyone care to offer a suggestion? :)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 22nd January 2015, 23:54

Re: Dcss noob, at 6 runes and looking for a direction to go

Well, you are currently at 1 int. I would recommend picking up some gear of +int, or restore abilities if there are any left. You might also consider just waiting for a long time to get a few points back if you have plenty of food. If your stat zeros out that is very bad. With no more restore abilities you might even consider just winning, instead of finishing tomb and hells.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 22nd January 2015, 23:58

cleared tomb 1 but the spinx group almost killed me.. im a MiFi of TSO, started with Oka switched after clearing zot:5.. put a lot into this char now, only been playing for a few months and this is by far the farther ive made it

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 00:01

ok drank a potion of restore ab, got 8 left.. first one ive ever drank lol.. i need to utilize my consumables more i do believe

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 00:03

i have 3 potions of cure mutation, should i waste one to fix these.. You heal slowly when monsters are visible.
Your spells are a little harder to cast, but a little more powerful.
You have difficulty communicating with the divine... im thinking no but im not sure

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 00:42

The first and third of those are really annoying, but not usually immediately life-threatening, the middle is a mixed bag, worst case costs you some extra XP to get spells castable, but is actually overall a positive effect.

Curing them wouldn't be a terrible plan, but holding on to your cure potions might be good too.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 00:47

does my char look like i could handle pan maybe? im not sure which branch to hit next.. never been in any of them before lol

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 00:54

If you have 3 potions then yes, I'd quaff one to cure those. None are all that game breaking, but slow healing's a pain and forlorn (the difficulty communicating with the divine one) can also hurt. Wild magic 1 doesn't matter since you don't seem to be casting anything, as of your last dump. I'm not sure if forlorn interferes with invocations or only slows piety gain, but either one is bad, TSO's abilities are real lifesavers in extended. You have a great rMut/rF amulet, so you should be able to avoid mutations decently well going forward.

It's debatable (Siegurt posted as I wrote this, and said no) but I'd err on the side of yes.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 00:57

Pan is generally easier than Hell - it's safer to rest there (no hell effects, you can always have things wander into LOS though), and there's no -Ctele on the boss levels (or any levels). That being said, I consider the pan lords to themslves be stronger than the hell lords in general, so be careful fighting them. Take advantage of the no -Ctele to grab the runes and teleport away. Any form of blinking you have access to is very helpful to minimize time that pan lords are nearby.

That being said, you are rather well geared and do have a holy executioner's axe, so if you wanted to try fighting them, get some haste, summon some angel support, and you could likely take them down. Running away is always the safer option, though :)

Edit: make sure you know how to pull and separate packs - if a pan lords summons some fiends, can you get rid of them before you're tormented? Also I just noticed you have ~30 points of rot - you'll want to cure that. You're down to one haste potion so you might not be able to haste for all the pan lords.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 01:06

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Gakhan/Gakhan.txt theres an updated char dump, i grabbed my pots/scrolls.. i should use them before i die somehow i guess. and ive been reading lots of stuff and think i will try Pan first.. so you can reenter Pan at any time.. just some of the runes are missable-- and how do i cure rot?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 01:10

in 15.2 there's no item destruction, so keep all of your consumables with you at all times. You now have a lot more haste/blinking, which will be very helpful for escaping or killing pan lords.

You can enter/exit pan at any time. Exits are somewhat hard to find, but if you find one, you can come back. The only non-fixable thing is if you are on a unique pan lord level, you have to get the rune before you leave, or it won't generate that floor again. The game will print a message when you get to the floor that the unique pan lord XXXXX is here. If you're willing to burn 1-2 scrolls of blinking and a teleport, it's reasonably easy to grab the runes without fighting the lords. Still, with your gear, if you get the lord 1 on 1, you should be able to kill them with haste. Keep in mind most of them can summon, though. I usually like to bring abjuration, but it isn't required.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 01:13

no item destruction,ok i read something about scrolls being burned and didnt know if it still happened or not

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 01:20

any advise on what to do with my exp after i max fighting/axes/armor/Invo/Envo?

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 01:28

tabbed right through the first nonrune holding floor of Pan and it was much easier than expected.. hoping for the best :)

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 03:14

got the demonic rune of Zot and been through about 5 other regions of Pan.. getting a bunch of mutations even with my rmut amulet lol, hate to see what id look like without it.. finally found and exit.. do i leave or stay here until i find all 4 runes as long as i dont run out of life saving stuff.. training transmutations and have my blink spell almost useable .. not sure where else to use my exp after that.. update char dump -- http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Gakhan/Gakhan.txt

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too