CiP: weapon choice?

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 8th January 2015, 19:41

CiP: weapon choice?

So I've got a HOGl of Ash, the farthest I've ever gotten an Ashenzari worshipper.

Currently trained up to ~14ish in Axes, got through the early game with a lucky find (+2 hand ax of electrocution). After some recent finds, I'm in Lair:5 with a dilemma of what weapon to move forward with to try and secure my second win.

Complications:
1. I just found my first Brand Weapon scroll and there are currently zero enchant weapon scrolls in game.
2. Since I'm with Ash, I can move XP to a new weapon group, right? Never done that before and would welcome advice.

My current weapon choices:

+6 war axe of draining (my current weapon. should i re-brand it? should i switch?)
the +9 rapier "Vutoiffi" (freeze, rF+)
+0 double sword
+2 demon trident of freezing

If I go to the 2H sword, can I transfer out my Axes XP and then my Shields XP? (Been rocking an artifact shield)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 8th January 2015, 19:46

Re: CiP: weapon choice?

Drain is very good for a very long time, that being said, battleaxes are very common (particularly in orc), and worth branding.

I'd keep the war axe of draining for now, and when you find a battleaxe, brand it and go from there.

a +6 war axe of draining will last you past lair and orc and through most of the Dungeon (it'll start to wear thin in vaults)

Given that you already have 14 in axes, I'd probably hold out for a bigger axe, and spend XP on defense in the meantime (and possibly a nice ranged attack of some sort)

** Note, you'll need to find some other method to deal with hydras, since a war axe of draining will not go well for you, but wands and ranged weapons or just plain running away usually does the trick.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
starhawk

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 9th January 2015, 14:54

Thanks for the input. I've been stomping hydrae with that demon trident of freezing (i'm playing 0.16 trunk, so have half-skill with Polearms) and it's been working just great.

Per your advice I'll keep an eye out for big axes... I must admit to a little trepidation about ditching my shield though. Alas, the shops in Orc:4 were garbage. Going to try and get the Shoals / Snake runes before ditching my war axe/shield combo, which maybe gives me time for something spectacular to drop.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 12th January 2015, 18:22

Does your advice to stick with Axes still hold if I found the +14 Plutonium Sword on Shoals:5?

My choices now are a +6 draining broad axe, a +6 battleax of electrocution, or the Plutonium Sword.

It's time for me to tackle Depths and Vaults so probably time for me to stop juggling kit and make a tough choice, especially since remove curse scrolls are a wee bit limited.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 12th January 2015, 18:36

The "I want to win" answer is probably to keep hitting things with axes. The thing I would do is use the plutonium sword because it's great and when's the next time you're going to see it? Skill transfer will make it not horrible to train.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
starhawk

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 12th January 2015, 20:06

An an elec battleaxe is pretty damn awesome, maybe not quite as awesome as the plutonium sword though.

Agree with njvack. elec battleaxe for the boring but effective win. Plut sword with skill transfer for because Plut sword is rare and fun (even if it would be slightly more optimal to use that xp on defense). Either will be fine through the end of the game.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too