MiBe in progress

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 5th January 2015, 14:57

MiBe in progress

Well after numerous stupid deaths of a variety of caster builds, I realised that I totally suck with casters so decided to console myself with a build that I can win with...

This has turned into one of the most interesting games I've ever played, with an early survived trip to the abyss (and subsequent progress with significant malmutation eventually cured) and 3 simultaneous uniques in shoals 5. But I have some questions... (Even with MiBe I have a great deal to learn about crawl).

I've seen virtually no resistances to anything except for an insane early drop of +9 plate with rElec. There have been exactly zero sources of rPois and I can't get anywhere far in spider lair without it. I do have +5/+5 slaying ring and +6 evasion ring giving me 35 AC and 13 EV but red back packs can hurt me and the poison is at best seriously annoying and at worst a death sentence, especially at lower levels. I've cleared Orc, lair, shoals, dungeon and am wondering where to go next. Slime and abyss not possible without rMut (I do have corrosion resist). Shall I try a couple of floors of elf? Vaults? Or depths?

A second question regards axes. Trog has given me virtually no executioners axes. I've enchanted an ex axe of chopping to +3/+5 but have a +7/+15 battle axe of chopping with rN+ and MR ++ but also dex -2. Is this better? Or shall I keep enchanting the executioners as I find scrolls or wait for a better axe?

Finally trog gifted me a very early +6/+7 crossbow of speed with some resistances. I also quickly found some bolts of penetration and initially put 5 ranks in crossbows. But I now think this weapon is really not useful for a melee build.. Most monsters you can take at close quarters. I'm never going to want a missile battle with a group of centaurs or yak tours and anything dangerous I'm going to want to break LOS ASAP in order to optimise positioning for melee combat. Wand of draining was sufficient for the odd annoying siren or mermaid in shoals and javelins of penetration or steel are more useful back up weapons I.e. For fleeing dragons. Am I correct in this line of thought?

Thanks

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 5th January 2015, 17:20

Re: MiBe in progress

That plate is awesome, btw. I wouldn't worry too much about resists at this point, with careful play you should be ok, and you really only need rF+ to win (not that having more resists doesn't make it easier). If the rPois in Spider is too much, you can always go Vaults:1-4 at this point, and if your MR is high enough (+++ or more) you can go to Elf. Both these areas are usually easier than depths. I would not go Slime, but that is not because you don't have rMut. In fact, rMut isn't necessary for Slime, there aren't usually that many shining eyes (and you should usually dive slime anyway, so you won't even see some). When you do encounter one, there are ways to avoid being malmutated (blocking line of fire or just killing it quickly). Slime:6 is just a tough place.

Battleaxes will win you the game easily. The XP required to go from 20 to the point at which exec axes are definitively better is probably better put to use raising other skills. Also that randart battleaxe is good.

I would forgo the crossbow.

Also what version are you playing, 0.14?
Official Online Wins and Streaks
Experimental Wins: 1xImHu (Imps) 1xTrBe (chunkless)
Offline Wins: 2xTrCK 1xFeBe 1xHuWn 1xKoAr 1xMiFi

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 5th January 2015, 17:52

Yes I'm on 0.14, need to upgrade..

I had already got 26 ranks in axes before that battle axe dropped. (There hadn't been any decent axes other than that executioners). So I'm unsure whether a +15 battle axe with +5 slaying is better than a +5 executioners if both are at min delay..

I probably can survive at least the first 4 levels of spider without rPois but it could be tedious and possibly truly dangerous. I've had a couple of forays onto level 1 with careful routes to stairs planned and took quite a battering...

I think I'll poke my nose into the first levels of vaults and see what happens. mR is still quite poor so elf may be a worse choice. I've already survived abyss once (and have a distortion battle axe so could go back) but the loot is rubbish and the risk relatively high

Thanks for the advice

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 5th January 2015, 19:41

Don't forget that Trog's Hand gives MR++, good to have up around sentinels in vaults and on elf:3.
Official Online Wins and Streaks
Experimental Wins: 1xImHu (Imps) 1xTrBe (chunkless)
Offline Wins: 2xTrCK 1xFeBe 1xHuWn 1xKoAr 1xMiFi

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 5th January 2015, 20:04

You know, I always do forget this...

For this message the author mrthehoople has received thanks:
Siegurt

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 5th January 2015, 20:23

That battleaxe is a winner. I would likely use it over the executioner's; you should have absolutely no problems killing things with either weapon in a three rune game at least, and the extra resistances are quite nice to have even if you have Trog's Hand to increase your MR. I am by no means an expert on these matters, however, so take my vote with a grain of salt. It is only my two pennies.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th January 2015, 20:36

I like the Battle Axe till Trog gets you a better Executioner's Axe. Or if you get Arga the Battle Axe of Speed <- endgame weapon.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too