Post Saturday, 16th April 2011, 19:06

YASD - DSEn L18

morgue: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/sxoz/morgue-sxoz-20110416-013543.txt

Disclaimer: this is the best run I've had yet; I don't have any wins.

I'm wondering why Enchanter isn't recommended for a Demonspawn. I had been playing DS mages, and kept getting stealthy mutations, so I thought I might as well try a stealthy class, and Enchanter looked like fun. I chose it anyway, despite it not being recommended, and it was actually a pretty easy combo, especially with Ashenzari.

I lucked out with my mutations, though, getting Nightstalker 2 and Powered by Death 3 before the end. PbD was great when facing multiple enemies... using Ensorcelled Hibernation and stabbing one as an opener gave me a nice regen while trying to put the rest to sleep and stab them. Nightstalker works really well with Ashenzari's monster sensing and scrying (I suppose the DS antennae mutation would have been redundant, though, so I was lucky not to get that).

I also lucked out by finding a dagger of speed very early on (I think I was level 2 or 3). I cursed that dagger as soon as I joined Ash (which was on D:2, also lucky) and began gaining piety early.

Anyway, this was the first DSEn I ever tried, and I got further than I have with any other character. I don't know yet if that was just a lot of good fortune or if it's a solid build... I'll have to try it again! Incidentally, this was also the first time I got very far playing on CAO... I'm usually a tiles player. So it was pretty slow going, trying to make sense of all the ASCII, and maybe that made me more careful than usual, as well.

I died by being a little too confident. I got in over my head with a greater naga, tried to run away and I had a "brilliant" idea to use Passwall to escape, forgetting that it takes quite a bit of time to move through rock walls. It gave the greater naga time to catch up and kill me.