YASD MiBe^Trog: Evocables are loud

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 15th October 2014, 19:18

YASD MiBe^Trog: Evocables are loud

I had two runes in my first game to ever get even one rune. I had strong evocables and four rods I could get 3+ shots each out of: ignition, lighting, inaccuracy, and clouds. I had amulets of corrosion, clarity and mutation resistance, but fairly poor MR, so I thought I'd get the slimy rune as my third. I got to 6 fairly quickly, mapped it, and was gradually inching my way towards the center when a ghost appeared. In retrospect, I should have lured him to the stairs and attacked him far from the center, since his capabilities were not a threat to me; but I blasted him with my rods at range instead. As I did this, I did not notice the awakened Royal Jelly approaching me until he was too close for the soften-him-as-he-approaches tactics I'd anticipated. I tried anyway, with too little range to attrite him I think, and found myself surrounded on the stairs my spawns. I went up, but I discovered that acid blobs hit very hard in groups and they killed me after I'd had just one action on 5 (which wasn't a blink scroll as it should have been, since the upstairs to 4 was closeby).

I love how this game is always dangerous! Compared to Nethack which I've beaten a few times, one never reaches a state of boring invincibility, and that's a good thing.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks:
damiac

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 16th October 2014, 03:33

Re: YASD MiBe^Trog: Evocables are loud

Question: how do fighters like MiBe deal with the Royal Jelly? I'm used to playing casters that trivially take it down in a few turns with AoE attacks. Can't imagine sitting next to it and being surrounded by spawns.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th October 2014, 03:57

rCorr, get into the passages into the middle (So there's not much room to get jelly spawns, summon some brothers (both to take up space and to do damage) and go to town.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
fisheye

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 16th October 2014, 06:52

Also if you're an undead fighter, two torment scrolls followed by a wand blast or two gets the job done. Or you can just be really high lvl, quaff buffs, and kills TRJ + spawns in a hallway. Creative use of immolation scolls can also work wonders.

For this message the author SaidTheAlligatorKingToHisSon has received thanks:
fisheye

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th October 2014, 12:57

Also don't forget to quaff Haste/Agility/Might. (I don't berserk because there can be long battles here and also I need to swap rMut/stasis sometimes).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th October 2014, 13:52

SaidTheAlligatorKingToHisSon wrote: Creative use of immolation scolls can also work wonders.

The SoI is my go-to emergency rip-cord.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 16th October 2014, 18:58

When the tactical situation was different than what I'd planned for, because the fight with the ghost had brought TRJ out to me instead of me going into his lair, I should have aborted and gone back upstairs. Instead, I tried my original plan, with less time and room to do it in.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 17th October 2014, 13:50

fisheye wrote:Question: how do fighters like MiBe deal with the Royal Jelly? I'm used to playing casters that trivially take it down in a few turns with AoE attacks. Can't imagine sitting next to it and being surrounded by spawns.

Axes. :D

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 17th October 2014, 15:13

Usually I will quaff might, haste, agil, maybe resistance if needed, get it near a stairway if possible, then hack away until it's dead. Then I blink/teleport out of the mass of jellies, and lead them to the center to fight in a hallway.

I usually do slime after depths though, so I'm probably fairly overpowered for slime at that point.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th October 2014, 15:24

I usually stand in one of the corridors in the centre so only 3 jellies can hit me at once, buff, hit it, finish it with a bolt wand if it runs away. Teleporting out to heal/drop corrosion afterwards is optional.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
fisheye

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 17th October 2014, 21:45

Sar wrote:I usually stand in one of the corridors in the centre so only 3 jellies can hit me at once, buff, hit it, finish it with a bolt wand if it runs away. Teleporting out to heal/drop corrosion afterwards is optional.

Basically this. I always explore the outside first (sometimes I'll even use a ?mm), then head into the middle and hope I catch it in the corridors. Buff up, call in allies if applicable, and hack away. If I run into TRJ outside, I'll often try to get away, get to center and try to get it to come back inside. Usually mopping up the spawned jellies is pretty straightforward after that, though sometimes I need to run away.
Official Online Wins and Streaks
Experimental Wins: 1xImHu (Imps) 1xTrBe (chunkless)
Offline Wins: 2xTrCK 1xFeBe 1xHuWn 1xKoAr 1xMiFi

For this message the author nilsbloodaxe has received thanks: 2
fisheye, Sar

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 18th October 2014, 18:06

Thanks for the help guys, tried it on CAO yesterday and it worked a treat. Cleared everything outside, then went looking for TRJ (it was hilarious - TRJ wasn't in the middle when I went in, and I made two complete circuits of the level before finding him, I was starting to worry that he had abyssed himself somehow). Lured him into the corridors, summoned a bro to pen him in a bit, 'zerked and beatdown.

Eventually went on to win my first melee-focused character: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Blobb ... 173241.txt

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 18th October 2014, 20:54

Damn, nice plate!
Anyway I usually don't berserk against TRJ, just use haste+might (and eventually agility) because I don't like the idea to end slowed near azure jellies and acid blobs. But with those defences, rc+ and a +9 vamp exec axe you could easily take that "risk"
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
fisheye

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 18th October 2014, 21:05

Indeed, I also consider berserk a little too much risk against TRJ in the typical case, !might +!haste is the same effect without the downsides, and doesn't prevent access to emergency tools as well. Although typically by the time I'm fighting TRJ I don't need the additional firepower in any case.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
fisheye

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 19th October 2014, 19:07

fisheye wrote:Thanks for the help guys, tried it on CAO yesterday and it worked a treat. Cleared everything outside, then went looking for TRJ (it was hilarious - TRJ wasn't in the middle when I went in, and I made two complete circuits of the level before finding him, I was starting to worry that he had abyssed himself somehow). Lured him into the corridors, summoned a bro to pen him in a bit, 'zerked and beatdown.

Eventually went on to win my first melee-focused character: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Blobb ... 173241.txt

I've had TRJ get banished by a Zot trap once. Luckily that was with a Jiyva worshipper.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too