YASD - Ogre (melee) of TSO

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 15th August 2014, 18:52

YASD - Ogre (melee) of TSO

Hey all,

i'm playing on the server http://crawl.lantea.net:8080 sadlyi can't find my morgue file :( (page won't load?)
I started as an Ogre Artificer and picked up a GSC and TSO as deity. Cleared Lair and Orc, and till D13. But then i seem to hit a wall. My ogre feels really squishy, especially versus ranged enemies (Naga sharpshooter).

Sadly i did not find any good armour, so i was still running around in a robe with + resist, or a troll leather armour. GSC was enchanted up to 2.
Skills i had trained:
- Fighting 15
- Maces 20
- Evo around 10-12
- Invo around 10-12
- armour around 7-9
- dodging around 12 i think

My AC was less than 10, my EV was around 17 i think.

Is there anything i need to do different, or is it just bad luck? (i know its hard to say without an actual char dump)

Thanks in advance!

Rat

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 15th August 2014, 23:08

Re: YASD - Ogre (melee) of TSO

Ogre is not the easiest race to play and wouldn't recommend it if you are just starting out. I suggest you try Minotaur , as it is probably the easiest race to get running. Also TSO is not an easy god to start with and stealth is useless with him, which means you are a walking magnet of attention, making it more difficult to pick your fights. I suggest Trog, which is the god you automatically start with if you choose Berserker as your class, next time.

TSO is a great god for the end game and many people will switch to him before attempting Crypt or Abyss. But if you are only doing a 3 rune game, there are easier gods, IMHO
Online Wins: DeCj (4), HeAe (10), DrAs (15), DDAr (11)

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 15th August 2014, 23:41

I love melee ogres. In my very limited experience, the best way I know to keep them alive is to be really, really cautious with the way I engage; even more than usual until I get good dragon armor and a lot of armor skill, I pull mobs one by one into a corridor. But unless you go with a one hand weapon and shield, you'll probably always be a little squishy to ranged enemies. Your hp is your best defense there - you'll soak a little damage while luring the mob around a corner.

Evocations seems a little high. I think i would have prioritized dodging over that, but yeah, hard to say w/out character dump.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 16th August 2014, 00:53

It looks like your morgue is/will be here: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Ra ... 082238.txt

But, as you said, clan seems to be down right now (at least the morgues in any case). Ogres can be fairly weak until you find dragon armor, sadly. Not too much you can do about that - when I played my ogre I just abused trog to solve that problem, anything too dangerous you can just send in some help. I've had OgTm recommended as a character who benefits from statue form, if you want to try that out.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 16th August 2014, 01:09

Did you try elf 1 and 2? Those are usually pretty safe, if you keep tabs on what enemies can banish you.
Your squishy ogre character in particular will have trouble with sharpshooters; and if you encounter Vashnia she might outright kill you in a few turns if your positioning is bad. Your forte is beating things up in melee, so you just need to figure out how to position yourself to do that. Wands of digging and disintegration are really good for this. You can cut a murder hole into the walls and lure things in to fight you 1 on 1 in melee. Cut a zig-zag so that your line of sight extends only to a single tile.
Comborobin Admin

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 16th August 2014, 02:05

Elf 1 and 2 are actually not very safe.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 16th August 2014, 02:46

Ratboiler wrote:i'm playing on the server http://crawl.lantea.net:8080 sadlyi can't find my morgue file :( (page won't load?)
Hit shift+3 while in a game and you will get your morgue as an message in the chat box.
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 16th August 2014, 03:50

Sar wrote:Elf 1 and 2 are actually not very safe.

In most of my recent games I've done elf 1 and 2 after lair. I usually don't encounter worse than elf priests there, and maybe an annihilator or demonologist once or twice in 10+ games. Am I just getting lucky? Genuinely curious about this.
Comborobin Admin

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 16th August 2014, 03:55

One annihilator can be more than enough, their crystal spears can deal over one hundred damage on a hit.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 16th August 2014, 11:30

Thanks all for the suggestions. I did actually try some minotaur berserker (and gargoyle) before, and i almost got a win with it. Just got bored with the berserkers and wanted to try something else. Same goes for Trog.
But i agree it feels much weaker, both species as deity wise.

Not sure what i gonna try next. Perhaps a bit more practice with the Ogre and a bit of luck with finding an armour. Or Ogre - something of Trog / Oka.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too