YABP - DDNe my best char. amaidoinitrite?

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 01:27

YABP - DDNe my best char. amaidoinitrite?

No, I didn't won the game, or anything like that. I'm quite newbish to the game actually. Been playing for a month or so in and out. But I'm kinda proud of my progress and wanted a community oppinion.

So I got inspired and build up my very best char. I found a Necronomicon laying on the second floor. And Jessica on floor 3 drops a +2 Robe of Fire Resistance. I kill FIVE, that's right FIVE Ghosts from past selves. Including a VERY problematic Minotaur Fighter. I Clean up the Lair, some levels of the Orcs Dungeon...

The final score at death was Level 12 Deep Dwarf Necromancer of Makhleb. About 20148 points, doubling the last record (9k something). The cause of the death was a gangrape between a Iron Troll, a Two headed Ogre and a regular troll. After beign severely wounded by a seven-headed hydra.

But I felt I was doing something wrong. Idk, all I did was spam Pain and all. Sometimes the rare vampiric draining when I was in need, or the strange Dispel Undead in obscure cases...and THATS IT... and I dont know how safe it is to hybridize to other types of magic and to wich ones. I'm guessing summonings for Mak but...

The books I found were of Sky and Flames, and the aforementioned Necronomicon (but I had almost all the spells on useless even though ring of wizardy and 14+ Necro and 6 Spellcasting). I tried learning summoning of Air Elemental to train summonings, but well, sucked, because every creature that came was hostile. So I ended up spending ma money on a book of enchantments to forget that xD. I guess I was unlucky enough not to find Agony or Small Mammals or something.

And how do you feel about Animate Corpse and Animate Skeleton? I think they are kind of...in the way with all the sacrifices dont to Makhleb and the need for food...but what do I know?

Anyways. Thanks for reading my story and any advices will be much apreciated.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 02:29

Re: YABP - DDNe my best char. amaidoinitrite?

Blurration wrote:But I felt I was doing something wrong. Idk, all I did was spam Pain and all. Sometimes the rare vampiric draining when I was in need, or the strange Dispel Undead in obscure cases...and THATS IT... and I dont know how safe it is to hybridize to other types of magic and to wich ones. I'm guessing summonings for Mak but...

It's good to expand to almost any spellbook you can find. It has to be a low-level one, of course, or you'll never be able to cast from it. Unfortunately, if you're going Makhleb you're probably going to have to depend on melee for the bulk of your damage. Spells that help with that are probably your best bet. Summonings and conjurations are less good because Makhleb already supplies excellent summons and you already have another sort of ranged attack. Summon magic skill won't help at all with divine summons, which depend on invocations skill.

Blurration wrote:The books I found were of Sky and Flames, and the aforementioned Necronomicon (but I had almost all the spells on useless even though ring of wizardy and 14+ Necro and 6 Spellcasting).

Sadly, these books are almost worthless for you, for one of several reasons. Flames gives you a good ranged attack, but you already have Pain and Makhleb's invocations covering that. It takes a lot of xp to make Throw Flame catch up to Pain, and the higher-level spells will take a lot of investment. Sky and the Necronomicon are top-end spellbooks that don't work at all for early-game casters. It isn't realistic to expect to cast that stuff until you're clearing out branch ends even if your character focuses on that to the exclusion of all else.

Perhaps next game you'll have better luck with spellbook drops. An early-game character needs beginners' spellbooks, and a top-end one before you can use it is little more than a tease.

Blurration wrote:I tried learning summoning of Air Elemental to train summonings, but well, sucked, because every creature that came was hostile.

For reference, you need air magic skill of FIFTEEN to make them stop coming in hostile. This is probably not going to be achievable for a necromancer, at least early enough for it to be helpful.

Good luck with your next character.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 06:25

A DDNe of Makhleb is primarily a melee build, but able to draw on magic. I just got my first ever victory using that combo a few days ago.

Summoning is worth training:
- Summon Butterflies provides a great shield, or something like Summon Imps, and these are good to train summoning skill
- Abjuration is really handy as a Makhlebite because it lets you dispel those pesky hostile demons that you sometimes summon. And of course other summons. A nice complement to "Dispel Undead" to enable you to make even more things just "go away".
- Shadow Creatures is very powerful later in the game because it summons whatever type of monsters are generated on your level.

It's hard to go wrong with translocations:
- Apportation to grab things without waking up more monsters
- Blink, to get out of trouble
- Control Teleport - to help with blinking, or to teleport into areas you can't find an entrance to.
- Phase Shift - +8 to EV? Yes Please!

Charms - a lot of useful boosts:
- Swiftness
- Levitation
- Flight
- Berserk
- Repel Missiles

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 16:37

Seriously? I tought it was a full magic combo! lolz.

I'll give it another try, then o____o.

couuld anyone give a quick stat allocation guide, and weapon choices and souch? the wiki really makes it look like a full magic char :/

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 19:06

DDNeMa is kind of like a crusader. You can probably play it as less of a melee build but it works really well.

The standard advice for stats holds: If you are casting spells at all, put all your ups into Int.

I highly recommend M&F as a weapon choice. There are two early uniques that have a chance of a hammer or whip of pain, which is a really good brand if you are a necromancer. DDs are decent with shields and shields are an excellent additional layer of defence which is great - DDs more than other races need to give priority to preserving their own HP over inflicting damage on others, since recovering HP is not as easy for them. And demon whips are the best single-handed weapon in the game, but even a regular whip with a good brand can be quite effective, due to its speed.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too