YASD - With a flux capacitor...

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 03:20

YASD - With a flux capacitor...

I could've traveled through time.
Morgue file

I was absolutely ready for Vault 1 by any measure. Hive cleared, Lair cleared, Orc cleared, Swamp and Elf down to 4. I had awesome equipment, at least two pips of cold and fire resistance, a clarity amulet, a rMut, an rCorr and a Conservation brand. The first thing that happened once I got down there was to run into two uniques. First Snorg, who I confused right as Louise popped on the field. So I bolted and ran, rested upstairs, and decided to try another angle at Vault: 1 to go around them, at least until they split up a little bit. Run smack into Nikola. I had read recently that MCloud was good to use against any unique, and I REALLY had to kill at least one of the three I had seen right near the entrance or risk getting killed upon reentry, so I throw out a cloud and immediately get zapped down to 19 HP by Nikola. I was in an open area and thought that lightning bolts had to bounce to hit you again, but no. 4 shocks in one blast.

So I quaff a potion, he's still not confused, and he zaps me again, unceremoniously frying me to a crisp.

HEWz is a strong build, of course. I got Sif early (no Vehumet in Temple), forayed into Ice magic when I found the book of Frost, then changed gears to Fire magic because I've never gotten to play with Firestorm, once I found a book of flame. I also switched over to M&F about midway when I found a randart that gave me sInv and Inv, Stlth+ and MR, but switched back when I found an even better +4/+8 venom dagger randart with rCold/rFire. I had a staff of channeling and was planning on getting Evoc up to use it. I'm getting sick of casters though. As much as I'd like to finally win with one, you just have to play too carefully.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 03:43

Re: YASD - With a flux capacitor...

Yeah, you definitely need rElec to fight Nikola. I was surprised to learn that about Chain Lightning as well.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 06:01

I think that's happened to everyone at least once.. 'Let's just see how hard he hits before running away, I have 100hp.' *ZAP* ..you die.

I hear you on casters. You're extremely fragile too so even a completely insignificant to a warrior PC threat can kill you if you have no mana. You could try a summoner/necromancer if you want hordes to do the killing for you though.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 13:17

Nikola uses Chain Lightning, not standard, so he doesn't need a wall to multizap you. Theoretically, you would want to fight him in a crowd so that there are multiple targets for the lightning to jump to, but I've not had an opportunity to test this one.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 14:51

As said, Nikola use Chain Lightning, not just lightning bolt. And Chain Lightning is a bitch, seriously.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 15:23

Would Summon Butterflies help then? Or pre-summoned crowds of minions? Or would I just be re-casting it every turn?

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too