YASD: Pure, unadulterated stupidity

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 29th December 2010, 15:11

YASD: Pure, unadulterated stupidity

Transformed into an Ice Beast, munching my way through the Sewer.

Didn't pay quite enough attention to what colour water I was walking across as the spell ran out. Had, in fact, forgotten that Ice Beasts could even swim in the first place.

I hate when I die for no reason at all related to the game - nothing made me do it, no monster was harrassing me, nothing but sheer boneheaded dumbass behaviour and inattention.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 29th December 2010, 15:52

Re: YASD: Pure, unadulterated stupidity

It might be a good idea for the game to warn you if:

- you press a key that would move you to deep water / lava
- you have a status that technically makes this possible for you, but that status is close to expiry, e.g. you've had a message like "you are starting to lose your buoyancy.

I don't know if there is a message for pending expiry of ice beast form though.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 29th December 2010, 18:59

Is there an option to have auto-explore and auto-move avoid deep water whether or not the character can swim?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 29th December 2010, 20:06

There is certainly room for improvment. The expiring levitation warning is actually annoying when you're just not over deep water. How about a more prompt when fly/levitate or swimming/flying form expires only over deep water or lava? This can screw you up in swamp when you're constantly going in and out of water, but I think it is a good compromise.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 29th December 2010, 20:12

I was thinking something more along the lines of "Are you sure you want to go there? Y/N: " but it sounds like even just adding a "more" break could prevent this is future.

Maybe file a bug report that both expiry notices should have a "more" break?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 29th December 2010, 21:05

Add the following lines to your config file (.crawlrc on Unix):

force_more_message = You are starting to lose your buoyancy
force_more_message = Your transformation is almost over

Yes, this can be a pain when you are constantly recasting levitation or transformations, but it works for me.

Someone with better Lua-fu than I (as in any level at all, I don't speak it) could probably come up with a function that checks to see if you're over hazardous terrain before offering up the force_more_message.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 05:19

What if the game, after an expiry warning notice, would give you warnings or ask for confirmation before letting you move into or over potentially lethal territory (or further from safe territory).

If it happens over land, you wouldn't even need a -more- prompt. But if you are proceeding into deep water or out over lava, it would say "Are you sure?"

That way, most of the time it won't annoy anyone. It will be annoying when you are out over water and want to keep heading farther out.

Incidentally, can ice form / levitate be extended by recasting / re-evoking the ability?

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 05:23

The spells can be recast to be extended, the only real risk would be miscasting long enough for it to wear off. Levitate evoked from items is permanent until turned off iirc.
Xom sounds like he would get a sex change once every couple of weeks just for the hell of it. - ElectricAlbatross

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 06:21

orshelack wrote:The spells can be recast to be extended, the only real risk would be miscasting long enough for it to wear off. Levitate evoked from items is permanent until turned off iirc.

It's only permanent from boots or bardings of levitation, not from rings or when it's a randart property (learned that the hard way on a sick MdFi in 0.5 :-(.

For this message the author RangerC has received thanks:
orshelack

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 12:22

I have to say, my annoyance isn't with the game itself, and I don't think it should save me from that level of foolishness.

That could just be a grumpy old Nethacker talking, though ;)
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 13:41

joellercoaster wrote:I have to say, my annoyance isn't with the game itself, and I don't think it should save me from that level of foolishness.

That could just be a grumpy old Nethacker talking, though ;)

Compared to Nethack, as you've noticed it's REALLY hard to drown or dive into lava in Crawl...not impossible, but a lot harder.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too