CIP: OpEn of Ash

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 26th August 2014, 21:40

CIP: OpEn of Ash

http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/P0WERM0DE/P0WERM0DE.txt

pretty fun run so far.

i wonder why En is not a recommended background for octopode? feels like it is the easiest background(few tries got me here - maybe only 1 dont remember). was pretty fun stabbing from water in swamp :P rune chamber is packed with hydras so i retreated for now until my magic is stronger.

going for fire magic long term, found the book of annihilations in swamp so if i survive im set as a caster.

wield id'd disto dagger early and never took it off:P abyss has lots extra enemies now

im close to clearing the rune chambers swamp/snake and will do elf 3 afterwards, because i already cleared elf 1-2 and im lacking lots of support spells.

ill continue till im dead or 15runes + 1-2 zigs

side question: is there a scoring page/player statistics like on CAO serve on CLAN? im too stupid to find it

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 26th August 2014, 22:17

Re: CIP: OpEn of Ash

My akrasiac scoring page lists also the ones lantea, but I am using the same login on both. You have a nice character going, but may I recommend having a look at poison arrow? You have a lot of Conjurations already, and some levels of poison should be excedingly cheap, especially with Ash. It has awesome range and is highly recommended.

For this message the author le_nerd has received thanks:
Octopode-monk-of-XOM

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 26th August 2014, 22:25

ah yea thanks.. found the score page now. its the 2nd try OpEn

im not sure if i have poison arrow, got very few books. but ill look into it when i continue tomorrow. actually poison magic is the one i have no clue about (never bothered using) besides mephitic cloud

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 26th August 2014, 22:45

Book of annihilation has it, thats why I am recommending it. I too was long sceptical about Parrow, but its seriously awesome, and on an Ash-octopode its worth trying out.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 29th August 2014, 11:21

continued yesterday and im at 4 runes now. updated morgue is in the link always

i didnt try poison arrow because i wanted to go straight to firestorm and im still not there, had bolt of fire in a book though which already was at 7# so i went with that. poison arrow was tempting but i was also low on amnesia scrolls (3) and game was too troubling too try new stuff, also power 5# so some xp needed

spent all aquirement scrolls (i think 6) on wands and dont have healing/teleportation - im now stuck a little (low on blinking/HW/curing) and definitely not strong enough for pan.

i got crypt and vaults 5 to do, also zot 1-4.

ditched the distort dagger in favor of staff of energy, and a longsword for invisibility evocation / resist options on weapon. but with ash i can still use it because its not too bad to get banished (finding exit is easier). i evn did abyss as 3rd rune before slime, found rCorr amu in abyss.

could really use some items, and haste / cblink then id feel half ready for extended.. atm im at a critical point where i have to evaluate to try go win at some point, because chances for 15 runes are maybe too low (other items arent impressive either - weapons are ok but need rings / better hat) but ill do crypt and zot at least, and for vaults 5 i want statue form /better defenses / already have ctele ring

i also found vampires tooth which is nice. i still use the enchanter style, beginning of the lvl some sleepers get stabbed - and i also killed mara with scroll of vulnerability + confuse + stab) which made her pretty easy

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 30th August 2014, 22:51

character was technically dead, in a zig lvl 24. made it out with lots of luck and best wishes from observers

also mixed up sickness with rotting and wasted all my curing pots in abyss trip. then tried to take on mummies in zigs without necromut. so i had lots of rotting... the rotten octopode :P was down to under 150 HP

then i found the heal wounds wand on gloorx vloq's floor and with all my scrolls of recharging the rot is gone !

items are also decent now. will transfer to long blades i guess because i got that max eudemon blade now, and a claymore of holy wrath too :P
spell wise im set, only need one more lvl 9 spell i guess.. will be tornado or glaciate. but works atm - love the necro lvl 8 spells.

so the crisis is gone and if i play mechanically now i got better chances for 15 runes now imo :P but i like to take risks/play bad sometimes, so lets see.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 31st August 2014, 12:56

ah well.. 2 minutes played today splatted it :P did zig.. met silent spectres. killed it even in the middle of some mobs.... then chose cblink instead of ddoor (me moron) when it was down. which was enough for some hellfires to kill me from 90 hp.

i know i dont need to do zigs.. but theyre fun for me and the most challenging part of the game. and i couldve easily made it if i had popped ddoor instantly.
stupid death again. time for some sun instead today ;)

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too