Was This Avoidable?

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 26th March 2011, 11:01

Was This Avoidable?

I'm a level 3 spriggan enchanter and I'm at full health exploring level 2 of the dungeon. Then a centaur kills me in a single hit as soon as it sees me.

How would I plan for such a situation in the future? Also why are there centaurs on level 2?

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 26th March 2011, 11:15

Re: Was This Avoidable?

doesnt really look like there was much you could do there, just really unlucky. I do wonder why it says you were helpless and unable to dodge the arrow? Centaurs have always been possible on d:2, nothing wrong with it.

Normally youd expect a centaur to not even wake up most likely for a SpEn, so the fact that it woke, shot you and the arrow hit and did good damage is just a nasty series of unlucky episodes

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 26th March 2011, 14:11

Ouch. :( Doesn't look like you could've done anything, since it was instadeath. Centaurs on D2 are possible, I've had it happen to me. I then proceeded to bash its face in with a potion of might. :P

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 26th March 2011, 14:38

I, too, wonder about the helpless message. Can monsters get "stab"-type attacks on you as well, now, if they can act before you see them? If so, this shows why it's a bad idea from a gameplay perspective.
Crazy Yiuf mutters: "Good: bonuses. Bad: Boni. Ugly: Bonii!"

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 26th March 2011, 15:31

It is terribly annoying, unless they are 1-2 tiles away I tend to dodge around corners or use tele/blink because they can hose you down with some serious firepower.

On the flip side of a centaur, if you are too slow and you turn a corner into an ogre, that can be instant death. Heavily armored dwarves at low levels get turned into iron maidens if they are not careful.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 26th March 2011, 21:51

Also annoying and unavoidable... !
Attachments
Hmm.png
Hmm.png (349.66 KiB) Viewed 3637 times

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 27th March 2011, 11:57

A lot of that is just RNG, if not enough enemies spawn to level you well, and if the levels are spawned quite small, then often you will simply die to a hard monster.

XL 11 on D14? Seems like you are descending much too fast, at least i tend to do the other branches before. Wands unidentified too. No buffs. Sometimes you still die, but that's the RNG.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 27th March 2011, 12:15

I was pushing deeper in search of Poison Resistance (my Staff gave me see Invisible). The statue made me turn back and take on the Lair without poison resistance though. The character is still alive (level 15), I've now done Lair, Orc, Hive and Eleven Halls (except for bottom floor).. I'm wondering how I will tackle the statue of Roxanne though.. suggestions appreciated! There is no trap door on DL 13 so I have to use those stairs again.. My spells are mostly Air magic..

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 27th March 2011, 13:42

I can't really tell what's going on in tiles, but it looks to me like the OP was eating or swapping eq or something. If that was the case, the solution is simple - don't do stuff like that near dangerous spaces.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 31st March 2011, 11:37

It seems like monsters that create travel exclusions shouldn't be generated over stairs.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st March 2011, 19:47

Regnix wrote:I'm wondering how I will tackle the statue of Roxanne though.. suggestions appreciated! There is no trap door on DL 13 so I have to use those stairs again.. My spells are mostly Air magic..

You might try an escape hatch on the level above. The hatch destination usually isn't grouped together even when the stairs are, although it can have its own problems. This isn't entirely safe, of course; I've ended up surrounded by demons in the Lair 8 Hell Vault because I used a hatch on Lair 7… Twice, in two separate games.

Roxanne herself isn't too dreadful if you're willing to burn some consumables. If you can't kill her in one go with a speed potion and as many anti-ranged defensive buffs as possible up, use a fog scroll to cover your retreat. Try to stay as far away from her as possible, and prioritize getting back to long-range after a hostile blink over getting a couple extra hits in. Her attacks are damaging but mostly short-range. You may have to recover your mana bar a time or two, but she'll run out of hp eventually. Vehumet-gifted Mystic Blast is good enough to do the job.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
Regnix

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 1st April 2011, 21:53

Is it me, or has Roxanne recently been changed? The last two times I've met the magical statue, it has teleported me right next to it. Would make it very hard to avoid under any circumstance!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 03:29

Nope. Roxanne just has a spell to blink others to her. I'm pretty sure MR protects against it though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 06:14

Three words if you're ready to stay on the level and fight it out: SCROLL OF BLINK.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 10:47

Mystic Blast did the trick! Thanks

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too