YAVP - tournament mindset gets me my first win

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 24th April 2014, 02:32

YAVP - tournament mindset gets me my first win

After at least 600 games over the past several years, maybe closer to 1000, I finally won one. Only my second time entering Zot realm, so I think I was pretty lucky. MiBe 3 rune, so probably about as easy as it gets. It was in the tournament, and until this tournament I'd never really played online. But I think between thinking about my tournament score and the worry about net lag prevent stupid command spamming, well I was just enough more careful than usual. Well--there were still at least 3 occasions where I would have died if it weren't for my lantern of shadows--first time I've tried one of those, and they are a pretty great parachute.

I was training axes to use my Trogg gifted Anti-Magic Executioners--and then right when I hit Axes 20 I found +10,+6 mithril axe "Arga" {speed, MR+ Str+2} so I went back to shields.

And I was going for heavy armor until I ditched plate for +12 chain mail of Etreatz {rN+ MR+ Acc+4 Dam+4} and used that until the very end when I needed GDA to get rF+++.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Irreg ... 005511.txt

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 24th April 2014, 17:15

Re: YAVP - tournament mindset gets me my first win

Congrats! If you feel like going for a similar win, I suggest trying GrBe.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th April 2014, 18:16

Congrats! I probably would have stuck with that chain mail over the GDA, you could still reach rF++ with one of your rF rings, and that would have been more protective overall. But you won anyways, so no problem there!

In general, for rF/rC, the first pip is the most important, the second is nice to have, and the third doesn't really matter. A lot of newer players don't realize, but fireballs actually check your AC - so having high AC will protect you against them as well as rF. Best to have that one pip of rF though, don't try to face orbs of fire and rely -only- on AC.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 25th April 2014, 01:27

Thanks for the feedback! I was detailing my painful decisions there partially in the hopes of finding out whether I chose correctly. I think I had severe Orb of Fire phobia based on my last visit to Zot realm :) Good to know about AC for fireballs!

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too