YASD - MiCK - Another crazy mutation set my Xom

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Eringya's Employee

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 20:04

YASD - MiCK - Another crazy mutation set my Xom

http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/TehDruid/morgue-TehDruid-20140414-190612.txt
Did the Xom Abyss at lvl 14 do me in like every other time it has happened? Nope. Escaped so I could die to the freaking Swamp. Too bad, this was an amazing game in terms of Xom in general. Very bad on scrolls of recharging and enchant armour though... Couldn't get that rod of ignition higher. It was a great gift when I got it. Coupled with occasional carnivore mutation I cared not about the hunger cost. :D Oh well. Xom games are interesting.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

For this message the author TehDruid has received thanks:
TeshiAlair

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 20:09

Re: YASD - MiCK - Another crazy mutation set my Xom

Well, I believe playing Xom is more masochistic than playing Chei. At least Chei will not kill your character for no reason.
Though your message history is too short and I don't understand why the character died. Teleportation does not work with Roots, does it?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 14th April 2014, 20:12

Yeah, it seems to be very attractive god, but a bit of agumble. ) This god is in plans for me, but when I can say I really know Crawl. )
English is NOT my native language.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 19:00

Xom can be good practice, so you don't need to wait :-). You get thrown into a lot of situations that don't happen so much in a regular game. Getting a Xom win improved my own tactics quite a bit.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 22:09

I think xom is helpful in most games - especially if you aren't a mummy, where incurable confusion is highly dangerous. Most harmful xom actions aren't that bad compared to good mutations, lucky god gifts and many of his combat actions (but mainly the former two, because I would only pick fights I could win without xom actions).
I probably would prefer him to chei on many characters, though I don't think it's ever a good idea to worship xom over the better gods if your intent is to win.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too