MfIE meets all the heroes

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 14:38

MfIE meets all the heroes

So I had this character that was doing really well - basically, a merfolk ice elementalist who uses Condensation Shield and Ocuzubu's armour to tank damage while messing people up with a polearm, while using conjurations and summons to take out enemies I didn't want to tango with toe-to-toe. It was a solid concept, and it was working out well for me, until:

38161 | D:16 | Entered Level 16 of the Dungeon
38280 | D:16 | Noticed Louise
38332 | D:16 | Noticed Rupert
38333 | D:16 | Noticed Urug
38335 | D:16 | Noticed Nessos
38338 | D:16 | Paralysed by Rupert for 4 turns
38343 | D:16 | Noticed Roxanne
38343 | D:16 | Killed from afar by Roxanne

I met all the heroes.

So, first off I met Louise, and a whole lot of nasty monsters, so I was like 'nope', and decided to try another stairwell. There was a wizard's portal on this level so time-pressure was on. I used a scroll of magic mapping to locate the portal, then used the stairwell that was closer. Which turns out to be right next to Rupert. Nessos and Urug are like, five squares away, but both are sleeping.

So, I decide to try and run for the wizard portal, forgetting that Rupert can paralyse you. Rupert promptly paralyzes me, and Nessos, Urug and him kick the shit out of me until I'm on pretty low health. I can't return up the stairs without Rupert and Urug joining me, so I decide to use a blink scroll, with the plan to follow that up with a fog scroll to stop Nessos from making me into a pincushion. At which point, I blink straight into Roxanne's LOS, who kills me in one shot.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 14:40

Re: MfIE meets all the heroes

Well, at least this awful run of luck means you'll DEFINITELY find a potion of experience on D:2 your next run.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 14:45

That's why I use RC file which displays red line "***EMERGENCY*** This monster can paralyze you: Rupert" as long as Rupert is in LoS.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 15:21

I tend to check on wiki all uniques the moment I see them. After all I am not that good at remembering things...
shackleton wrote:So, I decide to try and run for the wizard portal

I think this is a major mistake even without rupert's paralyse. wislab is not worth such a great risk - you cannot use all the goodies after you are dead...

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 15:45

>I think this is a major mistake

Yeah, probably. It was my motivation for trying the other stairwell. Really, I should have seen Louise and just said no to the level. However, I'd already cleared Lair and Orc Mines, so there weren't any obvious places to gain XP. Going down the second stairwell was a reasonably solid move.

However, once I went down the second stairwell, I couldn't go up the stairs and I couldn't survive the few turns it takes for a teleport scroll to kick in, and I only had one left in any case, so I had to use a blinking scroll. The Wizlab would have given me somewhere to prepare, and possibly some goodies to help with escaping all those heroes. Blinking into Roxxane's one-shot-kill radius was just bad luck.

Probably what I should have done is used a potion of invisibility, then the blink scroll. (I think, even if Roxxane hadn't been there, I'd have been in trouble if Rupert had gone berserk and caught up with me).

EDIT: Actually, should have definitely drank the invisibillity potion. Checked the morgue file, and it turns out a mottled dragon actually set me on fire the same turn as Roxanne blasted me. So I probs wouldn't have survived in any case.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 16:13

TheArcanist wrote:Well, at least this awful run of luck means you'll DEFINITELY find a potion of experience on D:2 your next run.

I wish. On my very next character:

0 | D:1 | Shosa, the Merfolk Ice Elementalist, began the quest for the Orb.
0 | D:1 | Reached XP level 1. HP: 13/13 MP: 3/3
277 | D:1 | Reached XP level 2. HP: 19/19 MP: 2/4
702 | D:1 | Noticed an orc warrior

I mean, sure, I ran away - but what the hell is an orc warrior doing on dungeon one in any case? Seriously considering taking my computer to a priest here.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 16:29

shackleton wrote:Really, I should have seen Louise and just said no to the level. However, I'd already cleared Lair and Orc Mines, so there weren't any obvious places to gain XP. Going down the second stairwell was a reasonably solid move.

Trying the second stairwell was reasonable; trying the third would have been even moreso (so what if it's farther, maybe there would be a clear(er) path to the lab). But if all three stairwells were occupied by the Unique Convention, you had Lair branches to start dipping into. For my money, Swamp or even Snake or Spider is almost always preferable to an unusually difficult Dungeon level. I'm actually playing a MfIE right now myself and I've gone straight from Lair to Swamp before even finding Orc -- no rPois, but I've got Ash's clarity to protect from swamp drake confusion -- and it's going fine so far.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 16:34

shackleton wrote:However, once I went down the second stairwell, I couldn't go up the stairs.

Am i missing something? I thought only rupert was adjasent to you. If he would follow, it is still easier to fight him alone. (after all, you had blink and tele scrolls)

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 17:08

I should have went swamp, especially since I was playing merfolk with rPois. I have an irrational aversion to the swamp and slimepit branches.

@Arcanist
Doesn't going up the stairs give the monster a couple of free hits?

EDIT: I subscribe to the idea that totally unsurvivable situations (say, teleporting right next to that island full of Helions) are actually really rare in this game. Obviously, that I died demonstrates that I didn't properly weigh the odds. All the same, sometimes the RNG's character shifts from merely 'belligerent', 'spiteful', or 'easily provoked' towards 'diabolical', or 'actively murderous'. It's my suspicion that the reason why the RNG usually gives you a way out in these situations is so it can hurt your pride as well as kill your character - it wants you to know that whatever happened is your fault.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 18th March 2014, 09:22

shackleton wrote:@Arcanist
Doesn't going up the stairs give the monster a couple of free hits?

It does (it takes 1,5 turns to climb the stair normally - so I would expect 2 hits from rupert).
It is still better then being freely hit by 3 enemies.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too