Which of theses spells should I go for?

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 12:07

Which of theses spells should I go for?

FIre Storm for sure, right? And what about the rest?

Thanks!

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 12:13

Re: Which of theses spells should I go for?

Who are you?

Spoiler: show

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 12:30

DECj of vehumet

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 12:40

Full dump would help since I still don't know your XL, spells you already have and whatnot. I would probably get IMB and Dazzling Spray now. Poison Arrow is an excellent single-target Conjuration. Fire Storm, you probably can and will get it on this character, but I would not rush it - get good defenses and maybe a weapon skill first.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 13:00

Go for PArrow and you won't miss (don't overtrain poison, though). Then for LCS for resistant guys.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 13:11

That is stupid advice and he should not follow it because you have no idea whatsoever what kind of character he is.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 13:21

He looks new and he's asking about spells. I'm pretty sure he's playing a blasty mage, like a lot of new players like to, if they choose to play a mage. Also, he's a DECj of Vehumet.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 15:55

So it's okay to give him bad advice because he's new. Well no I can't really agree with that.

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
duvessa

Barkeep

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 17:10

Amnesiac wrote:He looks new and he's asking about spells. I'm pretty sure he's playing a blasty mage, like a lot of new players like to, if they choose to play a mage. Also, he's a DECj of Vehumet.

He's a DECj that currently has 95% spell failure on poison arrow, presumably that's with Vehumet's wizardry. Are you suggesting that he memorize that and train to get that castable right now, as a priority, before training anything else? dck's right, that is terrible advice to give without knowing his current level, defenses, and other skills, etc.

OP seems to have at least 10 conj and however much spell casting that you need to read from Annihilations; judging from spell success I'd guess 12 conjurations or so, since I doubt he has Hexes if neither Dazzling Spray nor Fulminant Prism is already memorized.

Searing Ray is pretty good but skippable at this point, as is Throw Frost. So I would suggest definitely learning c and d (as Sar recommended); fulminant prism is also an option but you have to be careful with it. Basically it is a bomb that you set (with "smite-targeting" which makes it easier to use) and it explodes in a large AOE a couple of turns later, but the explosion will harm you if you are caught in it. Memorize it and try it out if you'd like.

Once you memorize those, if your EV is not in mid-20s, train dodging until it is around the mid-20s. To give any further advice, I'd need to know more about your character.
Last edited by and into on Friday, 7th March 2014, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 17:24

snakesoul wrote:Fire Storm for sure, right? And what about the rest?

I doubt that he has Veh's wizardry alright?

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 18:23

Everything above level 6. :D

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 8th March 2014, 09:17

Prism is great for rounding a corner and dealing with anything that can't move, like a statue.
@OP: You can do what's called a "dump" (such a glorious term) to help us out by pressing # (Shift-3) during a game. If on webtiles it will then send you a message you can get by following the chat notification in the lower right which leads you to the text. Offline it will dump a text file to some location that it says in the message, usually morgue/charname.txt.

Either way copy the entire dump and put it into code brackets in a forum post and that will help immensely.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 8th March 2014, 10:21

OP here!!

I'm sorry, I'm new and forgot about the dump... Well the character died soon after that post so... I think he was like lvl10.

Thank you all, next time I'll paste the dump, sorry!

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too