CiP: SpWz (skill allocation?)

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 4th December 2013, 20:39

CiP: SpWz (skill allocation?)

Hey guys,

Currently playing a SpWz of Vehumet. I have made it further than most of my splats, and wondering what skills I should allocate?

Currently I have no hunger on the spells I have. Just wondering what skills should I be allocating right now? I am not putting any points into any schools of magic because I don't have any books. Should I start dumping exp into fire, and hope that Vehumet gifts me a fire spell?

Did I go overboard on dodging/stealth?

Any advice is appreciated.

http://pastebin.com/Sabb1tNj

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th December 2013, 20:46

Re: CiP: SpWz (skill allocation?)

Dodging is good, I would possibly have more.
That's enough of Spellcasting for now, having all spells hungerless isn't a priority even on Sp.
The other spells in your book are very good, you have huge Hexes apt so maybe even Slow is good (I don't have much experience with it). Not sure why you skipped them,
I would maybe get a bit more Conjurations (most spells Veh gifts are Conjurations) or get more defenses (Dodging, maybe Fighting after Dodging) or some melee skill.
I would also ID all scrolls on a safe level (by reading them) and all potions (by scrolls of ID). And wands, by zapping them (at rats and walls).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th December 2013, 20:47

Read unknown scrolls, identify unknown potions by using scrolls of identify on them, learn Repel Missiles (it's a great spell for Sp) and Call Imp (great with Mephitci Cloud, as meat shield, as attack for banishers etc). No, your Dodging is not too high, actually I try to get EV 25 before Lair (it's the only defense of Sp early game).
I will stop here, I don't want to give too many bad advices.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th December 2013, 21:00

You've trained enough stealth that with stealth and mephtic cloud & call imp you could stab some stuff if you had a short blade to use (Not by any means a requirement, but it is an alternative if you don't have any useful conjurations for a while)

The mace you're using isn't terrible, but it's not really all that special either.

Probably I'd keep training dodge, Getting a little fighting wouldn't hurt (Although it's expensive and doesn't give you many more hps for the investment currently, getting ~5 would give you a couple extra max hps, now and in the future)

I'd hold off on elemental training until you see what Veh gifts you. If you feel confident in your defenses right now, I'd train conjuration, if it's your plan to use conjurations to blast things, that's what you'll need eventually anyway.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 4th December 2013, 21:02

Spellcasting helps cast spells -- with good spellcasting aptitude, I wouldn't have trained Fire/Air at all, unless I was planning to ignore all Ice/Earth gifts/books. Doubly so for SpWz, because of bad elemental aptitudes.

If this were DE, I would say that training more spellcasting would be a fairly good idea, because more MP helps now (and to help with whatever elemental school you pick up later) -- but Sp are so good at running away that this is not as useful.

Getting a head start on Conjuration isn't a terrible idea -- but do note it does nothing to help you until you get a decent nuke.

If I didn't train Spellcasting in your place, I would probably train Fighting+Dodging. I like 25 EV for no particular reason other than it's a nice round number. If Fighting got up to 5.0 skill, I would start to reconsider if I wanted to train it more.

(P.S. you should probably learn blink, just in case)

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too