Smiting - I hate smiting

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 6th March 2011, 07:59

Smiting - I hate smiting

This is just a cheap way the game kills you. It isn't used much, but this is my first time seeing Roka. Wow, just wow, Oh Roka is SURROUNDED by creatures preventing you from killing him quickly? What? A quarter of them are priests? Smiting does ~15? Well, thats 75 damage almost a turn and there is almost nothing you can do about it. I know they don't smite that often, but you go into orc mines, you can waltz through kill virtually everything without batting an eyelash then suddenly you're getting destroyed in an instant by smite. Can't defend. (Did I mention you can't defend?) Smiting is stupid over powered because I feel it removes strategy from the game.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 6th March 2011, 09:26

Re: Smiting - I hate smiting

Well, I wouldn't say it removes strategy as much as it forces you to reprioritize targets, but yeah I can't say I'm a fan. Is there a way to mitigate smiting damage?
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 6th March 2011, 10:33

Actually smiting adds a lot of strategy in game. It's an eye opener, early on it is deadly for any character. Later on it is dangerous if not kept in control. It really makes prioritizing targets much more important.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 6th March 2011, 11:50

I like that smite works over other enemies and can't be resisted. Sometimes I wish it were set to something like 10% of max HP like torment is set to 50% of current HP. I think I would still have to prioritize for that, but there would be fewer, "Oh, I saw that, so I'm dead" games.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 6th March 2011, 17:57

Aw, go easy on the guy. Smite sucks when you are new(er) to the game.

Actually, no. It sucks pretty much all the time.

One thing that took me a while to learn was to treat Orc Wizards and Priests which major respect. I put them on par with Sigmund in how I react: i.e., set exclusion and run if they haven't seen me, or just flat out run if they have seen me. I'll be back after I get me some levels. We can talk then... :twisted:
Annotations
D:3 exclusion: Sigmund

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 7th March 2011, 01:33

More-so, i would like to see improvment in AI of smiting mobs. Because orc priests rushing into melee and not hiding in back rows behind warriors is counter-productive. For orcs apparently.
But we still have pathfinding problem at hand, and I don't see changes in that in a nearest future

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th March 2011, 02:40

Curio wrote:More-so, i would like to see improvment in AI of smiting mobs. Because orc priests rushing into melee and not hiding in back rows behind warriors is counter-productive. For orcs apparently.
But we still have pathfinding problem at hand, and I don't see changes in that in a nearest future

Monster spellcasting AI is intentionally bad. There is no way enemy spellcasters would be survivable if they used their spells like a player. They have no mp bar, never mis-cast spells, and ignore the power cap for direct damage spells.

They could be altered so they only pick their best spell, but were constrained by mp, but in that case they'd just dump their mana bar on the same best spell every time and the rest of their list might as well not exist. The player would see a monotonous yet lethal stream of Smite/Crystal Spear/Fire Storm/etc. and would be unable to do anything about it.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 7th March 2011, 04:48

I read this as Smiling.

There needs to be a button that lets you SMILE.
It does nothing, but has a small chance to SCARE AWAY GHOOO~OOOSTS.
Berserkers can't smile.
Craziest Hamster

For this message the author varkarrus has received thanks: 3
pratamawirya, szanth, vintermann

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 7th March 2011, 08:12

Curio wrote:More-so, i would like to see improvment in AI of smiting mobs. Because orc priests rushing into melee and not hiding in back rows behind warriors is counter-productive. For orcs apparently.

I'm not quite sure if this was not only a coincidence, but in my last game orc priests did tend to hide behind plain orcs to get those free smiting shots at me, at least when plain orcs could surround me. So if the AI improvement was already done, then it's time to pay even more respect to those guys.
Luckily, a well-established MiFi can steamroll it's way through :).
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too