YASD in zig -- what did I do wrong?

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 3rd May 2012, 16:12

YASD in zig -- what did I do wrong?

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/rast/ ... 155441.txt

MiGl archer of TSO. 27 Bows, Fighting, Armor, Dodging. 10 runes, including Tomb. Zot fully cleared.

Zig 8 was mummies -- torment torment smite smite. I summoned some angels, hasted myself, burned through all my healing, died...

What should I have done differently?

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 3rd May 2012, 16:56

Re: YASD in zig -- what did I do wrong?

You wasted a huge amount of time firing arrows of flame, doing not very much damage and getting no benefit from the holy brand on your bow. You also didn't haste until you were down at 70 hp or so and had already spent lots of healing charges - that's way way way too late. You should have hasted while at full health after the first greater mummy came into view. Being hasted would have let you summon lots of angels without eating anywhere near as much torment, instead of needing to heal repeatedly while unhasted and being tormented further, by which point you're basically already dead. In places like the Ziggurat where you can't just back away, Cleansing Flame is pretty great for clearing out summon spam and dealing lots of damage, but you didn't have very high Invocations skill. More generally, you could have pumped Spellcasting and Charms instead of maxing Dodging or whatever, to allow you to easily haste all your angels too.

(Also your termsize is massive making it more difficult to watch on fooTV, a well-known cause of death: "hugeterm[3/4]: <mikee_> crushed to death by gigantic terminal"). :P
Last edited by Kate on Thursday, 3rd May 2012, 17:10, edited 2 times in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 3rd May 2012, 17:09

Ouch. Thanks for giving an honest assessment.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 3rd May 2012, 17:14

I think the number one thing is just how important it is to haste early - Tomb Zig floors are really nasty places, you can quickly get overwhelmed so you have to know what's coming and be prepared to deal with them, even early on. Didn't mean to sound harsh, I just speak from experience having died in many Tomb Zigs myself. :P

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 3rd May 2012, 21:15

Harsh is fine. Is this a character I should have chosen to avoid zigs with? Should I at least have gotten the other 5 runes first, to gain more XP?

The only thing I disagree with is termsize -- it doesn't make sense for me to shrink my UI while actually playing just on the off chance someone might want to watch the replay later.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too